1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the NHOU (New Hampshire Oil Undercoating) "rust inhibitor treatment" worth the price?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by tundraficionado, Jul 4, 2024.

1. Jul 4, 2024 at 7:34 AM
    tundraficionado

tundraficionado [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra CrewMax Base
    Bought it 08/21 - lifted - 305/55 20 Nittos mounted on black MOTO Metal wheels
    My brother traded me his (paid for) 2018 Dodge RAM 1500 with 77000 miles on it for my 2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (on which I owed $5000). The RAM 4x4 had all the bells and whistles but I could not handle the turn-button shifter on the dash!!! I traded the RAM for a 2012 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 with only 117,000 miles on it a couple of weeks ago (yes, I looked under the vehicle for RUST since it came from West Virginia and it seemed not as bad as I thot it would be). Well, I had my trusted mechanic inspect it when he changed the oil in my Tundra (AMSOIL dealer) and he said I dodged a bullet - it was mainly surface rust... but it needed attention immediately to inhibit any further rusting and/or damage. He recommended NHOU (New Hampshire Oil Undercoating, Inc.). I've researched and found that might be my best option. Does anyone have any experience, or know of anyone who has had that treatment done on their vehicle?

2. Jul 4, 2024 at 10:20 AM
    ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    Eibach stage 2 (JUNK), SmartCap, Airbags, CoachBuilder Stuff, Bora spacers, 35” falken AT3W tires.
    All mine get done. Try it in the summer so it soaks in all summer. And gets in all the nooks and crannies.

3. Jul 5, 2024 at 3:42 AM
    bflooks

bflooks Still a new member.

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited 4x4 Turbokits.com Stage 1.5
    Turbokits.com Stage 1.5 kit (Precision 7675 + Intercooler) Innovate SCG-1 Boost Controller AEM water/methanol injection (500cc) Mishimoto dual-pass trans cooler with Turbokits.com mounting bracket Nitro 5.29s Powertrax Grip Pro Bilstein 5100 middle setting CB shims (2 driver, 1 passenger) Bilstein 5160 rears Firestone Ride-Rite bags Daystar cradles Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) HD TRD rear sway bar 18" TRD wheels 275/70r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W X2 Power Group 24 battery Power fold tow mirror (OEM) Valhalla's Shields (front/rear) Dirty Deeds Bamf 21" Stainless
    I just had my 2019 done in December for the first time. It is impressive, but wasn't cheap due to first treatment and time of year. Owner of the shop recommended getting it done over the summer when he's slower and he'll cut me a better deal. Makes sense to me. It's my ike off seasons pricing on snow removal equipment.

Anyways, yes, worth it IMO. But, if you search the forum, there's tons of threads on the different options. Woolwax, fluid film, CRC, I think PB Blaster makes one now, and of course, NHOU.

For NHOU, I highly encourage you get any undercarriage work done before you start. It is unpleasant to get covered in, but it certainly does it's job. They also say to never get an undercarriage was again. The more build up, the better because it acts as a sacrificial layer.

Enjoy.

4. Jul 5, 2024 at 4:53 AM
    dondino

dondino New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tunda Crewmax
    I bought a clean 07 in 2022 and brought it back here to the heart of the Rust Belt Pa.. I used NHO Black and although this will only be my second year with the stuff, so far it's done a fine job. I plan on getting it done annually. It was a little pricey but when you see the price of a new truck or a gently used truck. IMO it's worth it.

5. Jul 5, 2024 at 6:53 AM
    WILLINH

WILLINH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BILL
    NEW HAMPTON, NH
    2019 TUNDRA
    I’ve had my truck sprayed with NHOU and fluid film. I get it done in October but that’s my preference, cheap way to keep the rust away.

dondino and bflooks like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top