1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fast ticking from engine

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Beans1921, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Jun 10, 2024 at 11:56 AM
    Beans1921

Beans1921 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD SR5
    Hello all! I have a 2002 Tundra TRD SR5 (4.7 iForce) that has just shy of 200,000 miles.

I have noticed a fast ticking sound coming from my engine. I have a relatively new radiator, radiator fan, fan clutch, thermo, and belt. And it does run as cool as a cucumber. I am unsure as to where the ticking is coming from, or what is causing it due to lack of advanced mechanical knowledge. (Working on that however.) The ticking sounds like it’s coming from the block itself. It doesn’t sound like a knock, but I am wondering if a cylinder head is shot or something similar. Again, I’m not knowledgeable enough to diagnose myself.

I’ve noticed the noise in the past, and it pre-dates the work I mentioned above.

I have a new, slight oil leak but no other glaring issues. I don’t seem to have an oil pressure problem but do smell a slight burning smell when exiting the vehicle.

Lately, I have noticed a significant loss of power, and the engine struggles at highway speeds. (75-80mph where I live.) This issue has started during the last month or so. I do a lot of highway traveling for work, and I average about an hour on said highway. I worry it is killing the truck.

Also, when on the highway and the engine overcompensates trying to get back lost speeds uphill, and revs increase above 3000-3500, I also notice a loud, metallic grinding sound coming from the engine. I no longer use cruise control and just try to gain as much speed downhill (within reason) before another uphill section begins, where I just let the truck lose speed and then repeat the process in hopes to cause as little stress as possible on the old man.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I have a video of the ticking noise at idle but it won’t let me post it here.
    I’m also a new member and excited to be part of the community!

Cheers all!

2. Jun 10, 2024 at 8:29 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
  3. Jun 11, 2024 at 2:33 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

4. Jun 11, 2024 at 2:41 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    That escalated quickly; went from a benign ticking sound to loud, grinding metallic noise and loss of engine power. Without the proper diagnostic tools or knowledge, you may be chasing the issue and throwing parts at it. I would bite the bullet and take it to a trusted mechanic to at least diagnose the issue. Have you pulled any codes?

5. Jun 17, 2024 at 6:45 PM
    Beans1921

Beans1921 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD SR5
    The ticking can be heard at idle and low revs. The metallic grinding is when I am getting up to highway speeds. Typically high revs around 3500+. That’s why I said I no longer use cruise, because the engine overcompensates and revs too high.

I have not ran any tests or taken it in, that is the next step, just wanting to see what y'all may think/have experienced before!

Products Discussed in

To Top