1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drive Monitor Wiring - MPG

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Kaner, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Apr 29, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    Kaner

Kaner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dual Cab 5.7L V8 Tundra
    I am trying to get the drive monitor mpg function to work on my Tundra. I have gotten a new Drive Monitor module and installed it. The plug in had all 8 wires so I was hoping it would work but it did not.

I have all the wires from the drive monitor module to the J28 female plug. I am assuming I need to add two wires from the J28 male plug to the JL 1 Male Plug

I removed the front dash bezel and the gauge cluster to add the missing wires but the instructions I have found on line don't seem to mesh with the wiring I have. it says that you need to:
    • Connect J28 / Pin 28 to JL1 / Pin17
    • Connect J28 / Pin 30 to JL1 / Pin 19
    However, there already seems to be wires occupying 3 of the 4 pins and they don't match. Any thoughts? Here is the wiring diagram and pictures of my truck with the corresponding wire harness's

upload_2021-4-29_17-51-14.jpg

upload_2021-4-29_17-46-10.jpg

2. May 17, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    Harold_Z

Harold_Z New Member

Member:
    Looking forward to see your results, I am trying to find some instructions to do this but haven't find any yet.

3. Sep 11, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    funcxion

funcxion New Member

Member:
    Kaner, any luck with this? I have the same exact wiring as your pictures and could not fogure it out either yo get it working.

4. Sep 13, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    This was something that I am very interested to making work. At all the folks that message on this and did'nt get anywhere.. Here's a pdf that may help find our way to getting this mod done.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 18, 2021 at 10:45 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    Ok, So I was successful in getting this done today. Here's what I did.. I went directly from J28 connector (the back of the instrument panel) directly into the L2 8pin Connector (Info Meter Panel). IMHO you can just skip going to JL1 connectors.

The What
    Go directly from J28 to L2 to the following pins

J28 L2

PIN 28 to 2
    PIN 30 to 3

The Wire Setup

I used some Ethernet wire 24 agw (single wire copper wire) and stripped around 1 inch of each wire and folded the strip portion into 2 and gave them a lose twist to make the wire thicker to put into the pin from the back. In the end you should have around 3/4in double twisted wire. Note - the J28 might need more than 1 in, it may need 3/4in to 1in double twist.

How much wire do you need - I used around 2.5-3ft of the wire. You should have enough if you mess up and need more wire to strip.

*Keep track of the wire color you put into pin 28 and 30 as they need to go to pin 2 & 3 respectively on the L2 connector.

L2 Connector setup -
    if you do not have any wires in L2 Pin 2 & 3. Just stick the wires in and hope you will make a connection similar to the J28 pins.

8-Wires - If you have the 8 wires on there. DO THIS. With a mini flathead screwdriver open the white wire panel section of the L2 connector (see last picture). Once this is done stick the wires coming from J28 connector into the appropriate L2 pin*. They should not touch each other and fit the white panel section back on the connector.

The How?

1st - take both the J28 and L1 connectors out of the socket - You will see the female connectors if you looking at them from front. Twist them over to the back where the wires are going into the connector.

2nd - And stick the stripped wires into the back side of the J28 connector - pin 28 and pin 30 - see below.

3rd - Carefully thread the wire through the dash from J28 conn towards L2 conn

4th - Stick the stripped wires into L2 connector* - Pin 2 & 3 - See below

5th - Turn the car on and check and test it out to see if it works.

6th - If it works put some electrical tape around the pins you just put in to ensure they do not wiggle and come out.

7th - if that didnt work check your work again and ensure the pins are able to touch the male junction pins. It should work as intended.

Where to put the wires?

J28 Connector
    - Pin 28 - is the 8th pin in the back of connector, top row or between the Pink and Orange wires - Ping 30 is the 10th between the Orange & Yellow wires - Both of these likely don't have any wires in them so they should be easy to spot.
    J28 Connector Back Marked.jpg

L2 Connector - Pin 2 is the Light Green wire right after the Pink wire. And obviously Pin 3 is right after Pin 2 in Sky Blue color
    L2 Info Display Connector.jpg

Example of how the L2 connector looks with the wires stuck in.
    L2 Info Display Connector Final.jpg

Tundra Info panel circuit.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Ohannon7 and MTRock like this.
  6. Feb 27, 2022 at 7:46 AM
    Ohannon7

Ohannon7 New Member

Member:
    Central Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 5.7 4WD CM Bench-Seat Silver
    6” Pro Comp 37’s Custom audio and interior Off road capability is current focus
    This is what I need to do, and sort of did, but the home made set-up keeps sliding out for me and I lose button functionality.

I was hoping and praying that someone was able to locate the OEM wire harness #’s so I can just buy an OEM plug-n-play factory wire harness, I just don’t know the part number or how to find it

7. Feb 27, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    baraynavab

baraynavab New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    hmm
    So I am not sure if its as easy of finding out the correct wiring. As you can see clearly the OEM wiring harness goes though a big maze of connections. Even if you located the wiring, replacing all the stuff would be a nightmare. I would suggest you tape the heck out of your connections and see if that help. My connections are rock solid.

8. Feb 27, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    Ohannon7

Ohannon7 New Member

Member:
    Central Fl
    Vehicle:

Yes, good point.
    The oem pin is pushing my homemade wire back, so just the ends are touching, which makes the main/middle button work intermittently.

i didn’t really take my time like you did as I did this prior to your post above. I think I need to open up the harness and place a single wire in like you did. Hopefully I have time this week to make that happen.
    Thank you

9. Feb 27, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    Ohannon7

Ohannon7 New Member

Member:
    Central Fl
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top