1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Billet D-Rings coming soon - Opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Charvonia Design' started by Charvonia Design, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Feb 9, 2024 at 3:40 PM
    Charvonia Design

Charvonia Design [OP] Enthusiast-Owned Small Business Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tacoma TRD OffRoad Bronze Oxide
    Hey Tundra guys and girls! Over the summer we launched our Billet D-Rings for Tacomas, and ever since then we have been getting requests to make them fit Tundras. We have been round and round, considering different ways to attach them to a Tundra bed, with the main issue stemming from the proprietary M11 shoulder bolt that Toyota used on the Tacoma D-Rings and that we reused in the design of our machined version.

We want to get these in your hands, but first we need to know how you want to mount them. We have a solution that uses a very similar shoulder bolt that is grade 10.9 (stronger than the Tacoma's 8.8 bolt) and has standard M8 threads. Would you be willing to drill a 5/16" hole in your bed and install Billet D-Rings in the location of your choosing? Are you able to get a buddy to hold a wrench on the nut under the bed?

M8 D RING HARDWARE.jpg

The alternative method, and the one we have been stuck on for months, is to manufacture a custom bed bolt. This will cost thousands to buy them in bulk and take several more months to manufacture and ship them. This has been the go-to method for many folks to add D-rings to their beds in the past, but after finding the M8 shoulder bolt, we're not so sure it's the way to go anymore.

Please leave a comment and let us know if you would like us to go ahead and launch Tundra Billet D-Rings with m8 hardware, where you will need to drill a small hole and bolt them in your bed.

With all that out of the way, here's the official info!

Billet Tie Downs D-Rings follow the same design language and color scheme as our current Bed and Rail Tie Downs, so you can complete the look with these CNC machined Billet D-Rings.

• Machined from durable 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum
    • Anodized in Red, Black, Blue, or Silver, these Billet D-Rings will add a splash of color to an otherwise dull and boring truck bed
    • Radius prevents dangerous cutting and fraying of ratchet straps, bungee cords or rope
    • Corrosion resistant stainless steel pivot bolt boasts a 70,000 psi tensile strength
    • Marine grease is used during assembly to prevent corrosion and provide many years of trouble-free service
    • When stowed in the closed position, the spring-loaded ball detent keeps the D-Ring from rattling while driving down dirt roads

Sold in pairs
    PATENT PENDING

AVAILABLE NOW: Billet D-Rings

CHARVONIA DESIGN D-RINGS-21.jpg

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

TRDFerguson, snoope and 1lowlife like this.
  2. Feb 9, 2024 at 4:14 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Those are pretty sweet. I'm sure some of our folks will have some beneficial feedback on a good way to install.

3. Feb 9, 2024 at 5:55 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    Those look great. My only feedback in regards to the bolt is that I’d prefer to use the stock bolt locations and be anchored to the frame. If the M8 is the more cost effective option, though, at least the 2.5 and older gens have steel beds instead of plastic…
    :crapstorm:

RainMan_PNW and RobertD like this.
  4. Feb 9, 2024 at 6:12 PM
    Charvonia Design

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the feedback! Which stock bolt are you referring to? The bed bolt?

5. Feb 9, 2024 at 6:17 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    Yep… and I just looked at your photo where you have one mounted on what looks like the corner of the bed and realized these might be smaller than I originally thought. So my comments are completely irrelevant lol. What are the M11 bolts for and where do those live on the Taco?

6. Feb 9, 2024 at 6:43 PM
    Charvonia Design

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yup, so Tacomas have a separate spot just for the factory D Rings, and it uses a special bolt. The bed bolt is to the left under the bed mat in that picture. I wish they would have just put factory D Rings on Tundras!

TRDFerguson likes this.
  7. Feb 9, 2024 at 9:32 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor?

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    I have similar concern with the thickness of the bed steel and pull-out strength of the tie-downs using a single bolt, even with a fender washer as backup. But I also completely understand the issue with using the factory bed bolts (both thickness vs the bed ribs and the size of the bolt head). Perhaps a thicker plate washer backup - say 3x3x1/4 - would ease those concerns.

I have no issues with drilling a couple holes in my bed. Putting a set of these near the front will prove a bit challenging over the gas tank though (thinking fore and aft of the wheel wells) - but not impossible.

Because of my tonneau cover, I don’t have the factory rails on my bed sides. I would love the shit out of having a set of these that would mount to the holes where the bed rails mount, since I currently have some cheapo scamazon steel ones mounted at four of those points. I forget what size those bolts are though.

RobertD likes this.
  8. Feb 26, 2024 at 11:02 AM
    Charvonia Design

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Just realized I missed your response, thank you! We're thinking the same thing regarding backing plates. I ordered the factory Tacoma D-Rings that are meant to be added because they come with plates. I'm going to look at these and most likely design my own to fit inside the ribs of the Tundra bed.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the rails are held on by m6 screws, so the D-Rings would not fit there. My hardware is M8, and I feel m6 would be pretty undersized for these.

9. Apr 13, 2024 at 11:54 AM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Hey Keith! Any update on this?

10. Apr 15, 2024 at 8:04 AM
    Charvonia Design

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Parts will be here this month!

RainMan_PNW and WFD473[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Apr 15, 2024 at 10:41 AM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Sweet! Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

To Top