1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have the APS iArmor Drop Step Running Boards?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by MedCityMoto, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Aug 30, 2022 at 6:24 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto [OP] SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 TRD OffRoad
    I ordered this set of aluminum drop steps on Amazon for my '16 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4x4, and while the price and square design are really interesting and I like those details, what really draws me in is the installed height in the sales photos, attached.

My main concern, however, is that I can't find any real-world installation videos or photos online. I'm not worried about the installation process, simple enough, I just removed the Toyota OEM sidesteps and treated the spots they were wearing on the undercab/rocker (go go POR-15!) I just wanted to verify, if someone else has these installed here, that they actually sit at the height advertised, kinda obscuring the pinchweld and just giving a really nice clean side profile. If they don't, I'll yell at Amazon and make them do a return for them, and buy a set that does, I just hope they do, I like the design all around otherwise! I became concerned when I saw a set on a Heep Gladiator and they hung much lower on that model than I would've expected, almost at the same height as the OEM ones I just pulled off.

So, can anyone running a set chime in and verify the authenticity of the advertising photos from the Amazon listing?

2. Aug 30, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    RNRVal

RNRVal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Kalispell, MT.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax 1794
    TRD Grill, Hood Bulge, Weather Tech, Window Tint, Radio Highlight, TRD rear sway bar, stubby antenna, Offroad X ABS covers.
    I purchased a set of these same running boards only for the Toyota 4Runner. They come in many pieces, so install took a while. Once installed the gap between top of running board and body is about and inch, not the best look. The worst part is that after one winter the paint started coming off. By the time summer came around the aluminum had started to get a white scale on it. I had to remove the boards, take a wire wheel to them to remove all the scale that I could. Then I wire brushed the remaining pieces the wheel couldn’t get. I then painted them with the spray on bed liner in a can. They are ok for now but will not know how they will hold up this winter.

All that being said, I cannot recommend these type of boards to anyone that lives in a winter climate where road salt or chemical is used.

3. Aug 30, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    bfunke

bfunke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra, 2000 Tundra
    Saw a set of those at Lowes last Saturday. They look good on our trucks

4. Sep 1, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto [OP] SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 SR5 TRD OffRoad
    20220901_185947.jpg 20220901_193950.jpgWell, got my answer. They're about 3-4 inches lower than pictured on Amazon - so, now we know, the images are for certain Photoshopped.

I think I'll reach out and see if they'll do either something about the misleading photos or a partial refund or something.

Products Discussed in

To Top