1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amp and Speaker questions, about to install stuff I ordered 3 years ago for a different truck.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BR33ZY, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Jan 10, 2024 at 10:20 AM
    BR33ZY

BR33ZY [OP] XP Rockstar ha

Member:
    Hey all,

2016 SR5 Non-JBL, 'amp' device under passenger seat. Keeping an OE headunit but will be a '20-21 carplay+aa factory radio.

I have the following in my garage, traded my last truck but held onto it:

Order details Ordered on March 26, 2021

Questions:
    1. Can I use wiring adapters for plug and play speakers?
    2. Will factory wiring be safe?
    3. Can I plug in this amp using the AHH-4438, and by running 4 Awg power through the firewall and cleaning the ground bolt under the carpet?
    4. Should I get 6x9 to 6.5 adapters?
    5. Do I need to run new wire from the crossover through the door/pillar grommet for the tweeter?

Any recommendations are appreciated. TIA.

2. Jan 26, 2024 at 6:08 PM
    Black Beauty 5.7

Black Beauty 5.7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cannon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black 5.7L Tundra SR5
    250,000 miles and always adding more :)
    Sorry no one answered you but I may be of some help.

Question 1:
    1. Can I use wiring adapters for plug and play speakers?

For the door speakers, I believe the 14+ tundras use the same as the 07-13 tundras which is the Metra 72-8104 Speaker Wiring Harnesses, which can be bought on Crutchfield.com for $10 or the metraonline.com website.
    Here's a link to the ones on crutchfield: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120728104/Metra-72-8104-Speaker-Wiring-Harnesses.html
    [​IMG]

Question 2:
    2. Will factory wiring be safe?

Safe? Yes. Nothing "dangerous" about it, and I don't think you will be pushing those rockfords hard enough to notice if you need larger speaker wires or not. Some people swear by replacing all of it, some say it's fine. Me personally, I plan on doing a full active 3 way front set so I would need to run new wires through the door anyways, but if you don't want to do the work it's not needed.

Question 3:
    3. Can I plug in this amp using the AHH-4438, and by running 4 Awg power through the firewall and cleaning the ground bolt under the carpet?

You could order it and see if it fits the harness. Here's another thread I found that has another play you could buy most likely the same harness:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/best-plug-n-play-harness-for-adding-amp-non-jbl.111710/
    4 gauge wire should be plenty of power for the LC-5.1300. I'd recommend mounting the amp under the passenger front seat since that's where the factory amplifier is, will make running wires for the speakers much easier since there's a harness you can plug right into there. And yes, there is a factory ground bolt under the carpet of the passenger seat you could use.

Question 4:
    4. Should I get 6x9 to 6.5 adapters?

Yes, you need adapters for the front doors. This is crutchfields recommended adapter for that size speaker:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SAT69/Scosche-SAT69-Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html
    [​IMG]
    Thinking back on it now I believe I have this same adapter from when I bought my 7" kenwood components but didn't use them because the kenwoods came with their own brackets. This specific bracket seems super solid and it's all one piece of plastic without the cutable edges like some adapters use to fit more than one vehicle.

Question 5:
    5. Do I need to run new wire from the crossover through the door/pillar grommet for the tweeter?

Depending on whether or not you want to mount the tweeter in the sail panel on the door or just replace the dash speakers, you still will need to run wires somewhere. Also, since you have the LC-5.1300 you wouldn't necessarily need the passive crossovers for the speakers and just make your own crossovers at the amp. Allows for more adjustability since the amp has bandpass crossovers. Either way it doesn't really matter, still needs wires from both woofer and tweeter.

Option #1:Aftermarket tweeters going into the factory dash locations
    *Edit*
    The 14-21 Tundras are wired differently than described. The dash speakers are fed by the headunit and the door speakers (front and back) are fed by the amp. Center channel is a mix of left and right dash speaker.
    Described bellow is for 07-13 non-jbl tundras

The door 6x9 and the dash 2.5" are wired in parallel, meaning the signal comes from the amp to the dash speaker, then loops down through the door grommet to the woofer. Good thing about it is the corner dash speakers have a 4 wire plug (2 coming from amp, 2 going to door) that's easy to unplug and fix so only that signal is going to the door. (cut the factory dash speaker off, crimp/solder the two positive wires together and the two negatives together) To mount the tweeter in that spot, you'll need an adapter. I used this one when I had tweeters in my dash from crutchfield:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120824201/Metra-82-4201-Tweeter-Mounting-Brackets.html
    [​IMG]
    All you do is cut a hole in the middle for the size of your tweeters an pop 'em in. Pretty simple

Then all you'd have to do is run 2 wires to the middle of the dash where the HU is and down the center console to under the passenger seat where the LC-5.1300 will be. Also should mention, the new tundras (yours included) came with a factory center channel speaker that blends the left dash speaker and right dash speaker. It's not a true center channel which means you'll have to abandon it or else it could cause some issues. The center dash speaker doesn't have any wires going to the factory amp so you won't be able to run it unless you run more wires from it to the amp. With the amp setup you chose, this won't be an option.

Option #2: Aftermarket tweeters going into the sail panels (I plan on doing this in my 07)
    This will be a little more work, but could allow you to upgrade to a 3 way front stage (mid bass, mid range, tweeter) if you'd like later down the road. First you'd have to either cut holes into the sail panels or buy some factory JBL tundra sail pannels that already have tweeter mounts in them. Here's a pic of what it'd look like...

[​IMG]

Nice factory look, and they aren't too expensive if you just order them from Toyota. Here's a link:
    Right sail panel- https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/oem...trim-ring-right-front-lower-674910c060?c=az0x
    Left sail panel- https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/oem...or-lower-frame-bracket-left-674920c060?c=az0x

If you want to go this route, you'll need to run 2 speaker wires through the factory door grommet which has a plug in it. You'll have to drill holes through the factory plug to fit the larger speaker wires and pull them through. I'd also recommend adding some insulated crimp connections on the inside of the truck that way you can unplug them if you need to pull the door off for whatever reason that way you don't have to cut the wires to get the door off. After you run the wires, you'll pretty much do the same thing as option #1 by running them to the passenger seat to connect them to the amp.

*Either option that you chose, you will not be able to retain the center dash speaker*
    **Also, you don't NEED to use the crossovers that came with the components speakers. It robs a little power from the amp (hardly any) but it is the recommended crossover point for those specific speaker that rockford suggests. Only reason I wouldn't is if you are tight on room under the seat.**

Hope this info helps!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
    BR33ZY[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 26, 2024 at 7:50 PM
    BR33ZY

BR33ZY [OP] XP Rockstar ha

Member:
    Thanks man! I kind of backburned this project once the temps really dropped but as soon as it's back in the 50s+ consistently I'll be tacking this! I really appreciate your responses.

4. Jan 26, 2024 at 11:50 PM
    Black Beauty 5.7

Black Beauty 5.7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cannon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black 5.7L Tundra SR5
    250,000 miles and always adding more :)
    Just did some more research on your specific truck and the dash speakers are actually ran off of the factory head unit power, while the door speakers front and rear are powered by the amplifier which is super weird.

Watch this youtube video by Five Star Car Stereo that talks about your same truck and putting in an aftermarket amplifier. Even though it's not the same type of system you are putting in, he still does a great job at explaining how the truck is wired up with the amp under the seat and what you should do to add an amplifier. Lot's of very useful information on wire colors, testing to find each speaker, making a new harness, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO9yf7vEz94&list=LL&index=30

BR33ZY[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top