1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 SR5 TPMS System Error

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Idaholivin, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Apr 30, 2023 at 4:55 PM
    Idaholivin

Idaholivin [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5
    I've seen a number of threads talking around this issue, but none with specific resolutions. I recently upgraded my steel stock SR5 wheels to the following:

Wheels: Black Rhino Overland 18X9.5 with +6 offset
    Tires: Toyo Open Country AT3 265/70R18
    PSI: 38lbs front and back

I purchased the tires from my local Toyota dealer to take advantage of a buy 3 get 1 free promotion. Purchased the wheels from a local customer wheel and tire shop. When I dropped off the wheels at my Toyota dealer, the service rep called and said they were unable to mount the TPMS sensors because they were the wrong "angle" for the new aftermarket wheels. The rep told me I would need to upgrade the sensors to ones that fit a TRD aluminum wheel and he was going to charge me $800 for parts, labor, and programming. I told him to wait, called the tire shop where I bought the wheels and he said that the Toyota rep didn't know what he was talking about and that they install OEM sensors on aftermarket wheels all the time. So, I had the Toyota dealer put stock wheels and tires back on.

Took the new tires and wheels back to the tire shop where they installed them seemingly with no issues. Now's where the problems started. My TPMS system alerted me with a warning light as well as an error message on both the cluster and the head unit. I returned it to the tire shop where they scanned sensors again and showed me that they were reading pressures accurately (see pics from Autel scanner). They cleared the TPMS system and the Code through the ECU and sent me on my way.

One side note: When I asked the service guy at the tire shop (not dealership) how they got the sensors to work, he told me they turn them around backwards and that's how they fit the aftermarket wheels. I suspect the tire shop is going to tell me it's an issue with my TPMS system and not the way they installed the sensors. Hopefully I'm wrong.

That was a long explanation, but here are my questions:

1. Is the Toyota dealer correct in telling me that I need to upgrade to sensors intended for higher Tundra trims? If so, any idea what that part number would be?

2. Is the tire shop correct in installing the sensors "backwards" to make it work? Would that cause an issue?

3. Is it true that aftermarket sensors don't work on 2020 and newer Tundras? I've read several threads here indicating such.

4. How do I fix the issue so the TPMS system works properly?

Again, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to make the question as clear as possible since there are other threads similar to mine, but not identical. Many saying they upgraded from steel wheels to aftermarket with OEM sensors and no issues.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.IMG_8408.jpg IMG_8407.jpg

2. Apr 30, 2023 at 6:05 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Cement DC
    Magnuson Supercharged, Dobinson Lift, 315/70r17 on Rockwarriors, Heftyfab bumper, Dirty Deeds 3” race exhaust
    1) Steel wheels and Aluminum/Alloy wheels have two different angles for Tundras so if yoy buy aftermarket or Oem tpms sensors they come in two different flavors but are otherwise the same.
    2) I have personally not heard of turning them around before, although that could make sense. Most people just sell the steel wheels with the sensors and buy aftermarket sensors for their new rims in my experience.
    3) There are several aftermarket sensors that will work for 2020/2021 Tundras that range from 40$ a pop to 200$, most are about 100$.
    4) I would go to a third party like Discount Tire and have them take a look. Discount sells the correct sensors and will do the programming for free/check for free. I have had them do 4 sets for newer Tundras and a set for a newer 4runner that needed toms sensors. Something is off though in this situation where if the same sensors were reused you’d think the truck wouldn’t know/care, why there is an error seems to indicate something changed.

3. Apr 30, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    As mentioned, steel wheels and alloy wheels use 2 different sensors due to the angles. Some shops will take a steel wheel sensor and put it in an alloy wheel, but yes, it has to be flipped around. The problem with that is that the sensor can be easily broken by the bead breaker on the tire machine. The OEM sensors that you need are around $65 each. They don't need to be TRD aluminum wheel sensors. Many of the aftermarket sensors do not work on the 2020. The OEM part number that you need is 42607-0C091. The reason that the pressures are on the scanner is because the scanner sees them. You need the truck to register and see them. The 2020's do this without needing to be programmed with a scanner. On that note, it can be a royal pita. I have a 2020 and it took mine quite a while to register and see the sensors. It's a 2 part process in the manual. The manual is poorly written. My truck would not detect the pressures with the engine running. Mine only programmed with the key in the ignition position. You have to do the process after tire rotations as well. I have had to set mine up a couple of times and still haven't quite figured out what steps I did to fix it. On my next rotation I will try figure it out and write it down.

4. May 1, 2023 at 7:19 AM
    Idaholivin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5
    Tundra234 likes this.
  5. Jul 4, 2023 at 4:35 PM
    Dawoofles

Dawoofles New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cheyenne, WY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tundra SR5
    TRD rear sway bar, SS3 Max Amber Fog Lights, Carthartt Seat Covers, Morimoto LED interior lights, Driver Side Grab Handle, Husky Floor Liners, Weathertech full SunShade, Cat Back Stainless Works Dual Exhaust, OEM metal Oil Canister, Bed Mat, Deck Rail System, OCD Center Console, Full RCI skid Plates(Engine,Transmission, Cat Guard, and fuel tank)
    42607-0C091 Work on all aftermarket wheels? Method for example? Thought I would pickup the sensors since they are on sale.

6. Jul 4, 2023 at 5:19 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Yes....those are the ones that I have in my Fuel wheels on my 2020.

7. Jul 4, 2023 at 5:50 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I may be wrong here but scanning the sensors with a tool isn't the same as them waking up and sending info to the truck. Being backwards they my not see the rotational inertia needed to wake them.

8. Jul 4, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    The 2020 and 2021 models will detect the new sensors after they are installed. It is a royal pita though. Every truck is different. Some will pick them up and display pressures fairly quick, and some take a while. The manual is poorly written on the procedure. Mine took months when I put new sensors in. The Autel TS508 will scan them and is capable of writing them into the ECU, however I could not figure out how to do it.

9. Jul 4, 2023 at 7:05 PM
    French Avocado

French Avocado Double Entundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Utah / Wyo
    Vehicle:
    2020 Platinum MGM; 2008 Ltd TRD SRP
  10. Jul 5, 2023 at 4:49 AM
    Dawoofles

Dawoofles New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cheyenne, WY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tundra SR5
    TRD rear sway bar, SS3 Max Amber Fog Lights, Carthartt Seat Covers, Morimoto LED interior lights, Driver Side Grab Handle, Husky Floor Liners, Weathertech full SunShade, Cat Back Stainless Works Dual Exhaust, OEM metal Oil Canister, Bed Mat, Deck Rail System, OCD Center Console, Full RCI skid Plates(Engine,Transmission, Cat Guard, and fuel tank)
    I wonder if the push button start has something to do with the TPMS.

11. May 4, 2024 at 4:29 PM
    Idaholivin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5
    I want to give a special thanks to @Tundra234 for his help with this thread. I finally took his advice and ordered OEM part #42607-0C091 for alloy wheels. America's Tire swapped out the old ones for $80.00 (Toyota wanted $350.00) and they immediately synced to the truck. No more blinking TPMS light, my pressures started reading immediately, and I haven't had any issues for the past few days. For anyone with a 2020-21 Tundra moving from OEM steel wheels to alloy, it's really important that you upgrade your sensors. As @Tundra234, it's an issue with the angle and the truck doesn't like them running backwards which is what my wheel shop did when I got new wheels.

Finally, I should mention that Modern Toyota https://autoparts.moderntoyota.com/ by far had the cheapest price on sensors. Most dealers were selling them for $95.00/each. I ended up getting them from Modern for $65.00/each.

Anyway, thanks again @Tundra234 . Hopefully I'm not the only one who has been helped by this thread.

Retired...finally and Tundra234 like this.
  12. Jul 20, 2024 at 3:25 PM
    toytundra72

toytundra72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Black
    stock
    I have been experiencing the exact same issue that you described above, switched from the stock steel wheels to the OEM aluminum TRD style alloy wheels on my 2020 Tundra SR5. The set did not include tpms sensors. I had Big O tires install aftermarket sensors with no luck. We then ordered the #42607-0C091 sensors, big O was unable to get them to program to my truck. From this thread it sounds like maybe I should have just had them installed and then attempted the programming myself? Sorry, I know that this thread is older now, but it drives me crazy not having them operational, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

13. Jul 20, 2024 at 3:29 PM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    They may install aftermarket sensors on wheels all the time, but Toyota doesn’t cooperate with aftermarket, especially with any truck that is 18+. 20+ trucks are even worse. You need oem.

Idaholivin[OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 20, 2024 at 4:10 PM
    toytundra72

toytundra72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Black
    stock
    The OEM sensors didn't program for them either. Did the tire shop program yours or did they just automatically sync up. Thanks for the response!

15. Jul 20, 2024 at 6:27 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    The 2020 is very sensitive with the TPMS. It's a pain but the truck is set up to do the programming itself. Tire shops don't need to do anything. The manual is poorly written for the procedure. I ended up buying an Autel TS508 and saving myself the headache messing with it.

16. Jul 20, 2024 at 10:08 PM
    Idaholivin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5
    @toytundra72 you need to read @Tundra234 threads. He was the most helpful. Discount tire was able to program my new ones with no issues, but it’s imperative that you get the correct sensors with the correct mounting angles so the sensor lay against the rim. The steel wheel sensors have to be turned backwards in order to fit alloy whets and it just won’t work. Others will argue that it doesn’t matter, but as @Tundra234 said, the 2020 is very finicky.

Tundra234 likes this.
  17. Jul 22, 2024 at 10:05 AM
    toytundra72

toytundra72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Black
    stock
    thanks again for your responses. I just ordered the correct sensors (#42607-0C091) My local dealer wanted $150 per sensor, the best deal I could find was just over $80 per sensor plus shipping. I was quoted $170 by my local dealer to install and program the sensors once they arrive. I'm leaning towards having them do it to avoid the agony of programming them myself. I'll update next week. Thanks again for the thread and responses!

18. Jul 22, 2024 at 10:15 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Your post is confusing. I thought you already tried them in post #12?

19. Jul 22, 2024 at 10:30 AM
    toytundra72

toytundra72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Black
    stock
    Sorry, it is confusing. Because the local Big O couldn't program their aftermarket sensors, they wouldn't install the correct sensors without first being able to program them, which they could not do. They just refunded me the money and we parted ways. Had I known at the time what I know now, I would have had them install them anyway and gone through the process myself. So now I'm starting over and ordered new OEM sensors and after reading through all of the threads, I'm confident that this will work.

20. Jul 22, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    That clears it up. Mine is a 2020 as well. It is a pita, and some trucks will cooperate better than others. Being that I have a 4R as well, I just went for the Autel. I have seen them for really good prices on OfferUp as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top