1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 (5VZ-FE) EFI-1 fuse cooked. _HelP_

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by BN-2B, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Feb 10, 2024 at 11:17 AM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello!
    The fuse is completely gone. Burned away fortunately not causing a catastrophic fire.
    We may need a new engine relay/fuse box unless there is a bypass solution.
    Been searching around here for clues about what others have done in this situation.
    Download and digesting the 2001 Tundra EWD429U to diagnose the cause but figured a post might help.
    Posted in ‘Electrical’ but our trucks are antique so maybe we think differently in here.
    Thanks!

IMG_6841.jpg

2. Feb 10, 2024 at 1:02 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    The main cause if not the only cause is due to overly corroded negative battery terminal and cable. That Neg battery terminal corroded that bad is causing increased resistance thru out the system degrading the battery prematurely, causing HIGH current draw.
    I would consider stripping the insulation back on the negative cable 3 or 4 inches(red circle) and if corroded as bad as it appears as seen in the below pic, I would suggest changing the neg cable also.
    Not properly rectified and you'll prematurely need a starter, alternator, battery....etc.
    Good to have the EWD but no EWD needed to diagnose that lack of maintenance.

Corrosion.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  3. Feb 10, 2024 at 1:03 PM
    ATBAV8

ATBAV8 New Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 V8 SR5, Access Cab, 4x4, White
    I don't think there's a safe way to bypass it. You're going to need a new fuse box. The bigger issue is, what caused that EFI circuit to overload? Was there a problem and someone put in a fuse with a higher amperage rating to keep it from blowing?

4. Feb 10, 2024 at 1:16 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Everywhere it's six-sex-six by luck

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    @BubbaW you're a sight for sore eyes. Your presence was missed!

I have to agree with Bubba on the cause and ATBAV8 on the solution: You really need to replace the fusebox. I'd start hunting JY (junkyards) for your year/cab type and get a new box, with all fuses and such. Test for continuity on the circuits before you install the new box. Bonus here is simple: You now have several very-expensive relays and some fuses as spares after, and you hopefully won't be worrying about another meltdown.

I can't imagine you'd pay more than $100 for a fully populated fuse/relay box from a JY

JasonC. likes this.
  5. Feb 10, 2024 at 4:49 PM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Feb 10, 2024 at 7:00 PM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wao, thanks! Solid intel.

Truth Bomb. _Embarrassing. All I can say is, we acquired the truck last summer and I skipped basics for a host of other issues. …Terminals, duh. First thing. :facepalm:

Based upon other evidence of neglect the wrong fuse is possible. Also, read somewhere that a stressed fuel pump draws more current, filter looks original. Maybe this combines with the first thing .

This is the way, yes. The bonus of a ’populated’ box is preferable.
    Sometimes however an unsafe bypass helps us get from here to there, in case anyone has experience in those matters.

Thanks! My search only turned up the V8 variant. Maybe because this seller doesn’t ship to ‘protectorates’ and we are on one. We’re hoping they’ll make an exception. Junk Yards are literally an ocean away.

~~

7. Feb 10, 2024 at 9:37 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    IMG_6169.png

BN-2B[OP] likes this.
  8. Feb 11, 2024 at 10:22 PM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    The truck stalled away from home base when the meltdown occurred.
    The immediate plan was a bypass to get moving but I got lucky and was able to clean the area enough to stick a fuse in there and get her running normally. Ugly as hell, yet functional. Drove home beautifully.

Monitoring the 15A EFI-1 fuse with a temperature gun, it leveled around 110-120*F at idle. Is that normal operating temperature? The EFI relay at the lower left corner of the box was around 130*F. Wondering if that relay triggers any operation which can cause higher temperatures along the circuit. I have no idea.

While sourcing an uncooked relay/fuse box I’ve been looking for guidance on how the wiring is connected to it.
    Doesn’t seem to be a nice series of clip harnesses. Probably figure it out with the donor part in hand but was wondering if there was magic or special tools involved.

IMG_6427.jpg

9. Feb 12, 2024 at 5:11 AM
    TacomaTRD4x402

TacomaTRD4x402 New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra TRD Sport 2WD 5.7 Crew Cab MGM
    Brand new cabin air filter!
    Good morning all,

Quick question regarding the circled ground. What purpose would this ground have and what would be the result if this were accidentally removed and never put back?
    I have an '02 Tacoma with the 5vz also and remember a long time ago accidently yanking on that wire and it's never been replaced to this day. :confused: No electrical issues this far, that I know of.

IMG_6841.jpg

10. Feb 12, 2024 at 5:58 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    It's essentially grounding to chassis. The other grounds to the block, IIRC. The kinds of things it would impact would be anything that's grounded to chassis, ultimately. Something like that line not being connected could lead to electrical gremlins, flickering lights, weak ignition, retarded starts, weird idles, etc. especially for people in rusty climates. If it were me, I'd replace it.

Understand a lot of grounding in vehicles is redundant, for the sake of fail-proofing. Doesn't mean you should be OK with leaving a ground disco'd.

11. Feb 12, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    TacomaTRD4x402

TacomaTRD4x402 New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra TRD Sport 2WD 5.7 Crew Cab MGM
    Brand new cabin air filter!
    Thank you! I will do just that than. Currently rebuilding/replacing the engine so that'll be added onto the list among many other items.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    IMG_6428.jpg
    Hey, got lucky.
    Shallow corrosion.

KNABORES and FrenchToasty like this.
  13. Feb 13, 2024 at 7:07 PM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    Do yourself a favor. I see you have terminal pads on the posts so smear a little grease on the posts to prevent recurrence.

shifty` likes this.
  14. Feb 13, 2024 at 8:54 PM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good advice. A little goes a long way. There’s petroleum jelly all over that action. :thumbsup:
    … Pads are leftovers from the PO. :anonymous:

So the replacement used relay/fuse box is boarding a ship to cross the ocean and arrive around the 26th.
    The engine ran today for an hour without warming the fuse past 125* F and I’m seriously considering not tearing apart ALL the factory circuits to replace the single cooked one. Especially since the cause is still a mystery.
    A buddy who knows more than I do is kindly going to help with multimeter testing on the circuit.
    I cleaned (and greased) the ground for the EFI circuit which is directly next to the battery terminal ground on the fender. Next we’ll check continuity, resistance, etc. ~

w666 likes this.
  15. Feb 14, 2024 at 3:57 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    across the ocean?!

The pads are a good thing, they actually work.

I think you’re overestimating how difficult swapping that box is. It shouldn’t be more than a harness and a few larger wires. I don’t believe each fuse has a circuit you need to connect. The hardest part with them is typically getting the box out. Consult the FSM or maybe YouTube.

16. Feb 15, 2024 at 10:40 PM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    In case anybody’s wondering what’s underneath your relays/fuses…
    2 Harnesses and countless individual wires. [5VZ-FE] 2001
    IMG_6434.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

17. Feb 15, 2024 at 11:00 PM
    BN-2B

BN-2B [OP] New Member

Member:
    We opted for the less intrusive solution for now and will continue to monitor the temperature.

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

Mustanley likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top