1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet Another Tire and Wheel question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by PhoenixSR5, May 13, 2022.

1. May 13, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    PhoenixSR5

PhoenixSR5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 work in progress
    Billstein 5100 series lift
    I just purchased a 2016 Tundra SR5 2wd. I have wanted a Tundra for a number of years and found a good deal on a one owner low mileage one. Of course I can't just leave well enough alone.

I have installed the 5100 series on the top setting with intentions of getting wheels and tires next. Now for the dead horse lol. I am torn between wheel and tire options. I would like to go with 17x9 wheel from Fuel but have gotten mixed answers as to what will fit. Tire wise I would go with a 285/75R17. I have also looked into the 18x9 option with a 295/70R18 tire. The tires I'm looking at are the Cooper SST Pro and the Maxxis Buckshot 2.

Disclaimer: I have searched here and have yet to find any clear answers. There is however a wealth of knowledge.

Here is the question. Every wheel I have found that I like is either -12 or +1 offset. I don't mind a bit of poke but the -12 is too much. Will I run into issues with a +1 offset with either of the tire/wheel combos I have mentioned? I don't mind a bit of trimming but also not looking to hack apart the front of the truck either.

2. May 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    offset does make a difference. Stock is +60. low or negative offset can have the tires hitting the body mount and rubbing other areas, depending on offset and tire size.

The sweet spot for fitment is typically +18 to +25 as there are a good many wheels available in that offset, give extra clearance for UCA and generally a BMC is not required. Low or negative offset wheels push the tires out, so be prepared for dirt and some rock chips to the side of the truck.

As far as 17 or 18 inch wheels, 17s are somewhat harder to manage/balance. Low clearance for the calipers so the installer will need to account for that in placement. Putting weights on the inside of wheel as usually will often make them peel off from hitting the caliper. 18 inch wheels, no issue at all.

Since you will be sitting about 2-2.5 inches higher, you should check out the TRD Pro forum here and check out the many pics and threads of setups there. Tire fitment on a stock pro will be very similar to fitting larger tires on your truck with the lift.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  3. May 13, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    PhoenixSR5

PhoenixSR5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 work in progress
    Billstein 5100 series lift
    Thank you for the quick response. I will definitely check out the Pro forums.

Products Discussed in

To Top