1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another post about alignment numbers!

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Tundratimetb, May 29, 2022.

1. May 29, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    Tundratimetb

Tundratimetb [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "06 Tundra AC TRD w/ RCD
    I've been reading all of the posts about alignments, but I don't see my answer. I took my Tundra to a place that does alignments. I'll post a pic of the numbers, but it looks like my rear toe is WAY out of wack. I'm getting some outside tire wear on the tires that are less than 1k miles on them. Looks like my caster wants to be higher toward 2 or 2.5 (per CB specs and others). I do have a 4/6" RCD lift for what it's worth.
    The place I took it to said you can't make any adjustments on the rear as it's a solid axle (but I see plenty of people on here with a rear toe of .12-.24 etc). Is this all based on how the rear suspension was installed or how can we make adjustments on the rear for toe? Just trying to get myself informed before another alignment check.
    Funny thing about that readout, the before and after of the front toe shows before LF at -.04 and RF at .21, then after is LF .16 and RF at 0.0, but they never touched a thing on the truck, but did readjust the sensors on the wheels so who knows what's right.

alignment numbers.jpg

2. May 29, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    Rear is solid axle. You can only make adjustments by bending (50+ ton press with a jig) or cutting and welding the whole housing.

Outside edge wear is common to see on near 0 camber. Especially with low caster numbers. Everytime you turn at greater than parking lot speeds, it scrubs the outside edge a bit. Is your right front worse than your left front for wear?

-0.3 camber
    2.8 caster
    .15-.25 total toe

is usually my recommendation for our trucks.

The total toe is the important number and didn't change. Them grabbing the wheels and nudging it is what changed the left/right number balance for toe and a non-issue.

3. May 29, 2022 at 4:24 PM
    Tundratimetb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "06 Tundra AC TRD w/ RCD
    I'll have to check the wear on the front left vs. right side. I actually noticed the most "wear" on the rear tires (haven't rotated since only 1k miles) . Pic here of the rears also shows the outsides rubbing off the gravel dust on the outsides first? The last set of tires had pretty heavy wear on outsides vs rest of the tire.

Good to know about the total toe being the important number. I wonder why mine is at L .42 and R -.34 instead of say .06-.12 etc.. oh well. And I'll just use my "after" numbers as my baseline. I like your numbers, and would like to get it there.

So according to your numbers, I'm there for camber (at least L side -.3), my caster is well low and needs to get to 2.8, but my total toe is in spec at .08?
    20220303_110409.jpg

4. May 29, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    That looks like a pic of the left front. I see the spindle/upper balljoint and bumper split from the fender.

Easiest way to check for wear is chalk mark the tires and drive it a bit.

5. May 29, 2022 at 6:01 PM
    Tundratimetb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "06 Tundra AC TRD w/ RCD
    Oops! Just checking to make sure you're paying attention I guess haha. Here's one of the rear for real.

20220303_110417.jpg

6. May 29, 2022 at 9:34 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    The rear being off could be slightly offset leaf spring mounts, worn bushings or something else. It's a non-issue though. Just means the rear axle tracks a tenth or two off dead straight.

So is it wearing the outside or are the gravel marks from where the tire is actually making contact? Wash the tire off and chalk it. Drive around the block and check the marks.

7. May 30, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    Tundratimetb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "06 Tundra AC TRD w/ RCD
    Sounds good. I'll see what I get from the chalk test.

8. Jun 1, 2022 at 10:32 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    I'd get them to fix the alignment also, it's pretty bad right now. And total toe doesn't have to be even on both sides, but relatively close is good.

9. Jun 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM
    Tundratimetb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "06 Tundra AC TRD w/ RCD
    Just to clarify, the printout says before and after but it was just an inspection, no wrenches were turned.

What's the pretty bad part you mention? I'm guessing the front (and rear) toe, thrust angle, and too low caster?

10. Jun 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    That makes much more sense! Front toe and caster were the really bad ones. I'd get it aligned to @assassin10000 numbers and then keep an eye on the rear tires.

11. Jun 1, 2022 at 4:11 PM
    Tundratimetb

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "06 Tundra AC TRD w/ RCD
    Sounds good. I'm going to go for Assassins numbers and see how it does.

Products Discussed in

To Top