1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima bars cracking?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by convex, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Aug 11, 2022 at 3:15 PM
    convex

convex [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794
    ARE Topper Yakima rack Dual Dash Cams
    For you guys running bike rack bars, anyone running the round Yakima bars and had them crack? I had some on my old Tacoma's camper shell and put years of use on them with no problems. I put some on my Tundra's camper shell and after not using them for 3 yrs in the SC sun, they are cracked like someone hit them with a vegetable peeler.

Any other brands or types that aren't cased in plastic that you prefer? I spent an arm and a leg on getting the tracks, mounts and bars and I'm a bit frustrated that they aren't making them like they used to.

2. Aug 11, 2022 at 3:37 PM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    The sun is rough on plastic period, which is why my Yakima round bars stay inside unless I am actually using them. My landing pads that have been outside on 4 different trucks over 10 years are baked, cracked, and turning into dust. Probably gonna have to pony up for the more expensive aluminum or powder coated options if they're going to spend their whole life outside.

convex[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top