1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WTF is up with speaker sizes...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Kung, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Apr 7, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    Kung

Kung [OP] [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    So like everyone else, I just got my truck about 2.5 weeks ago and am planning changes to it; and as I love my music, I'm planning to do the following:

- replace at least the door speakers (possibly dash)
    - install sub
    - replace factory amp with 5 channel amp

With that said....it seems like every single thing I see says that 'Haha! That speaker doesn't fit.'

Are there speakers that are guaranteed to fit? Are there 'common sizes' or the like? I don't mind doing research, but when you've done an hour or two of research and get a crapload of options to go along with all the posts that say "I had to mod this" or "I had to add this adapter..." it's a bit confusing.

2. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:05 AM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    I felt the same way after days of research. An email to tech12volts solved it all. Now I sit and wait for a delivery of boxes full of various components known to function perfectly in my truck.

Kung[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:07 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    the stock speakers are 6x9's, but the mounts are built into the speaker. I would go with 6.5's and just get an adapter for them. I went though James Randy Taylor at tech12volts. He was great to work with and saved me quite a bit of money over going with ********* or crutch field.

4. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    FirstTruck

FirstTruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra MGM CM TRD Sport
    Stock, for now
    Welcome to the darkest underground world. My suggestion is to keep searching and learning. Two hours is not enough. This way at least you will know if other ideas or suggestions will help achieve your goal.

Kung[OP] and GNTundra like this.
  5. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Solve all your issues call james at tech12volt just ordered another system from him yesterday for a buddies truck. He sat in mine and was in love with it. James is the best at this.

6. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Same here except I went with Crutchfield and Infinity Kappa Xovers. They sent mounting and wire adapters. Pretty much PNP. I did just the front door speakers first. It was ok but they needed more juice so I got amp and sub. I have not done the rears. I don't carry passengers except a 4 legged one now and then so I may not.

7. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  8. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    It took me a while as well. I went with Focal speakers.

9. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    Army_of_One

Army_of_One New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM 4X4 CrewMax, 2005 Cement 4x4 Double Cab
    OEM+
    You need adapters for any door speaker. The depth to the window track is minimal and Toyota did some weird stuff with the built in brackets.

20200407_090955.jpg
    20200407_091002.jpg
    20200407_091010.jpg

10. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    shakezoola

shakezoola Not a new member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport MGM
    N-Fab MRDS Bfront Bumper w/ Rigid Industries Radiance PODS and Curved LED Light Bar TRD Skid plate Victory 4x4 Roof rack and hood mounts with Rigid industries Midnight PODS Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309TND Alpine PDR-V75 5-Channel amp powering 4x Image Dynamics component speakers Alpine S-A60M powering 1x 12" sub Fortin Remote Start with MyCar App Switch Pros SP-9100 Pop-and-Lock tailgate lock vLeds front turn signals w/switchback Center Console Safe Pedal Commander Diamond Back HD bed cover Swing Cases Driver/Passenger Katzkin Leather seats w/ heated front seats Bilstein B8 5100's Front and rear AMP Research PowerSteps Toyota TSS wheels w/ DuraTracs Toyota bed mat Bed light (LEDs) Blacked out badges Sport Antenna
    I love my music too, and was not happy with the audio in my Tundra, like 90% of all Tundra owners.

I replaced all of the speakers with 6.5" component speakers (with adapters) and installed a subwoofer. I installed a 5-channel amp, but just recently made it a 4 channel and added a separate single channel amp for the subwoofer. I ditched the dash speakers (they were causing issues after I install the component speakers which I hear is common) and installed the tweeters in the sail panels.

I bought a harness that lets me use the factory wiring (from the amp to speakers). You'll need something similar to get the speaker signal from you head unit to the new amp, then back to the speakers. I replaced my head unit, and ran RCA's to the amp and use the harness to get the signal to the speakers (I may end up running proper speaker wire and gauge directly to the speakers). You can use the ACC power from the harness to turn on the amp (remote signal), but I recommend running 4 gauge from the battery (with in-line fuse or circuit breaker) to power/run the amp.

You'll hear a significant difference swapping out the speakers, and even more when you change out the amp.

The factory head unit is not that bad, but does lack some functionality. If you have navigation in your Entune system, and want to keep the secondary display (in the dash) for turn-by-turn directions, and be able to get text messages through the bluetooth connection, then you need to keep the factory head unit.

If you want carplay/android auto, swap it out with an aftermarket unit. Look for one that does it wirelessly.

Go to Crutchfiled's website and input your truck's info to give you a better idea of what fits, what needs an adapter, and what needs modification.

Best of luck to you.

texasrho83 likes this.
  11. Apr 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    I'm beginning to get the idea that tech12volts may be somewhat decent at this sound thing. :p Seriously though, I'll definitely look them up/give them a call.

And I've owned a lot of vehicles but I've never seen speakers with built-in mounts like this truck has. Odd.

Yeah, I'd like to. The 2013 F150 I traded it in had the *worst* multimedia system I've ever know. (Look up Sync 1 4.2" screen.) I mean it - it was terrible - scratchy sound, froze OFTEN, and in the 7 years I owned it, it got a whopping 2 updates. So the 2020 multimedia system (mine is non-Nav, but it does have CarPlay/Android Auto) is miles better, and I'd like to keep it.

What I'll likely end up doing is:

- replacing door speakers
    - replacing factory amp with 4-channel (possibly KTP-445U)
    - adding a sub in the somewhat near future

I don't think the system is terrible for what it is, but if I know it can be better for not too much $, I'm all for it.

I appreciate all the help/advice, everyone.

12. Apr 7, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    He was very good to work with. I had an idea of what I wanted, but if you give him your budget and what you are wanting he can put something together for you. I did front and rear speakers, 5 channel amp, and sub. He had all the harnesses etc so it was plug and play, didn't have to cut any wires so I can return it to stock if I want to keep it when I sell.

13. Apr 7, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    DCB500

DCB500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TSS Double Cab
    Wheels, sound system, antenna, tailgate letter inserts, Grill/Hood Bulge, Exhaust, Leather
    Crutchfield has a lot of inaccurate info as to what fits.... they said the focal integration 6x9 components that are specifically made for that truck don’t fit. In the double cab anyway the fronts are 6x9 which will fit 6 1/2’s need the right brackets and the tears are already 6 1/2’s but still need a bracket for aftermarket. Only thing you will need to worry is depth as long as it fits in the opening.

14. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Now that is very nice. I mean, I can easily figure the stuff out on my own - am an IT guy, and was an ET in the Navy. With that said, I'm one of those "essential" workers, and am busy as crap...and being as I dunno how long this stuff will last, I'd rather just get it done the easiest way. LOL The plug-n-play part is particularly attractive.

texasrho83 likes this.
  15. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    JJcksn12

JJcksn12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Sky Platinum 4x4
    I agree with several of the above posts. I upgraded the SR5 audio and put 6.5's in all 4 doors which are on a 4 channel. I didn't touch the dash speakers though, I actually disconnected them. I went coaxial versus component it sounds better than fine to my ears. The 2 10's are on a separate amp. Much better than what my ears have been hearing coming from the stock non-JBL.

I didn't use dyna mat in the doors and rear wall which saved me some money. These trucks are sealed pretty good and I don't hear a whole lot of the road noise anyway. I am sure it is good stuff but my ears cant hear it which is why I couldn't justify the extra $ on it. You barely hear any noise outside of the truck with it thumping pretty good on the inside also.

I think that @james@tech12volts must know what he is talking about though so that will be a good option for you

GOOD LUCK!

texasrho83 likes this.
  16. Apr 8, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    DCB500

DCB500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    Wheels, sound system, antenna, tailgate letter inserts, Grill/Hood Bulge, Exhaust, Leather
    Anyone know the best way to contact James? I sent him a direct message through this site yesterday and have not received a response. and also tried on the tech 12volt site through the contact us link but gives me an error when I submit. He may be busy and not sure how long it usually takes for him to respond?

17. Apr 8, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    I have emailed him directly. I will see if I can find his email and I have also sent a personal message on facebook. He is pretty active on the Tundracrew group on facebook.

The email that I used with him was
    tech12volt@gmail.com that was about 3 years ago, but I would assume it's the same.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  18. Apr 8, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    To confirm

tech12volt@gmail.com

used the last few days. I also have phone contact but will not post public for obvious reasons one being he is a busy boy.

19. Apr 8, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Also he does reply within 24hrs. Unless Sunday.

20. Apr 8, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    DCB500

DCB500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Like I said, messaged him via this site but hasn’t quite been 24 hours but appreciate the info!

21. Apr 8, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well, I saw the other thread where people were expecting him to reply right away with pics and the like; and honestly, I'm probably at LEAST a month or so out from buying the stuff. So if I have to wait, no biggie.

22. Apr 8, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    cquilichini

cquilichini New Member

Member:
    I took a more traditional way of doing this, Kenwood actually sells a component kit for pickup trucks that includes a 6x9 for the doors and replaces the 2 3/4” speakers in the dash with the tweeters and mid and it works and fits perfectly. Is from the excelon line of speakers. Is the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6902c. They sound awesome.

Here you go:
    https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kfc-xp6902c/

I hope this helps.

Warreng and shakezoola like this.
  23. Apr 8, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    DCB500

DCB500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    Just had general questions about the moving the tweeters to sail panels and adding in additional speakers in the dash to see if it would make that much of a difference in sound with tweets running off the amp and in the sails but also would my system benefit that much from adding in the Kenwoods to the dash running from the kenwood HU.

24. Apr 8, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    That's actually not bad at all....I mean, I've installed Kicker, Polk, etc., in the past, so Kenwood Excelon is right amongst them, IMHO. I'll have to look into this as well.

25. Apr 8, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Update: I sent an email and James got right back to me. *thumbs up*

DCB500 likes this.
  26. Apr 8, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
  27. Apr 8, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    DCB500

DCB500 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    Yeah he got right back to me on direct email as well.

28. Apr 8, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    Tundra14Platinum

Tundra14Platinum I love reading the CoC in my spare time

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum CM Sky Silver
    TRD PRO Grill/Headlights, Swaybar, Eibach
  29. Apr 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    FirstTruck

FirstTruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra MGM CM TRD Sport
    Stock, for now
    This has been one of my questions as well. I do know that the voice command and the phone calls use only the dash speakers. My guess is that these 3 speakers need to be on a separate channel from the DSR1. Im still debating on this setup. I do not want the receive a voice command or an incall through out the while system. I was thinking to go with the infinity kappas 60 csx. Its a 2 way component upgradable to 3; 6.5 on the door, mid on the right and left and tweeters on the center.

30. Apr 9, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Set all commands to go through the front channel. 95% of us are using 5ch amps. So the commands either need to come through the fronts, rears or sub. I debating about getting a separate amp for the dash but not worth it. You can program all this in the dsr1 when flashing

FirstTruck[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top