1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worth getting TRD package if I'm going to upgrade suspension, wheels and tires later?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by cochese, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Apr 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock TRD Pro Double Cab
    Hi all, new member. Have a couple of questions prior to purchase.

I'm looking at a '21 double cab. I know we will see a new Tundra for '22, but I'd rather buy the last year of a mature truck than the first year of a new one.

Question - if I'm going to eventually upgrade the suspension and wheels/tires anyway later, is there any reason to seek out the TRD upgrade package? I'll likely drive it for a while, wear out the tires it comes with then upgrade wheels/tires/suspension (very small lift, if any, mainly interested in handling and traction, and better looking wheels). Basically - is there anything that comes with the TRD package that I can't change later that will cause regret?

It's not the cost of the TRD package I'm worried about, it's hard to find any truck period and if I don't need it, this gives me more flexibility.

Metro14536 likes this.
  2. Apr 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    Welcome from Ohio!

Technically nothing on the three TRD packages that you can't add on yourself.

Personally, I chose the TRD Sport package because I didn't want chrome everywhere. I leased mine so swapping out chrome components for painted wasn't going to happen.

I think your best bet is to get on Toyota's website and compare the TRD packages compared to the SR5/Limited/Platinum etc. and see what are your must haves.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought the LED headlamps/foglights are TRD specific. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Lastly, the factor tires are garbage. Not sure where you're located by I'm in Ohio and they're no fun in the snow. Basically an All-Season for fuel economy.

My 4 cents.

tttrdpro and cochese[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    Barrett50

Barrett50 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Wisco
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC silver
    In my opinion, gas tank size is what I’d consider most. 26 vs. 38. Probably the most expensive to upgrade besides suspension, which you’d be doing regardless.

4. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    Yes 38 gallon tank is a must. If you plan of upgrading suspension I would go with a base SR package or SR5. No need for TRD off road

5. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Agreed, the larger fuel tank is a must.

To clarify, I'm looking at the SR5, and debating the TRD upgrade package.

The LED headlamps would be nice, but I suppose I could add those later. Some of the online documentation includes "smart key system" with the TRD package, which to me is super confusing. That should have nothing to do with a TRD package. The way car manufacturers group their packages never makes sense to me.

The wheels, tires, shocks, skid plate, tow hooks all seem like things I'd like to choose and install myself later, in fact I'd prefer that because I get to shop around and pick exactly what I want.

Jackstraw likes this.
  6. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    SSPey

SSPey .

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 DinoSR5
    I went through this recently and opted for the SR5 with the “SR5 Upgrade” package (bucket seats and 38 gal tank) to save money over the TRD. If the TRD stock tires were keepers, it might’ve tipped the scales a bit for me (I need load range E tires). In my reading I also think (?) that the TRD had an extra leaf spring for stiffness (?) but I’m not 100% sure on that. For me, most TRD features only added cost that I didn’t need or would eventually replace.

Correct above on the headlights.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @SSPey, are you glad you went for the convenience package? I could see myself appreciating the extra sensors, but I'm not sure I have to have them. Have you found that there's anything about them that you appreciate more than you thought you would?

8. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:20 PM
    SSPey

SSPey .

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2021 DinoSR5
    I edited my post above to clarify the “upgrade” (not convenience) package.

The sensors are worthless to me.
    No need for precollision (I mostly drive curvy country roads at 40-60 mph, it ain’t gonna help when a deer suddenly goes suicidal)
    No need for lane departure (I turn it off, way too sensitive)
    No need for adaptive cruise control (I can manage my own speed)
    No need for auto high beams (I never activate it)

I didn’t get the upgrade package for the sensors ... did it strictly for the 38 gal tank and bucket seats.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  9. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Ok, pretty much the same for me. I think the larger fuel tank and bucket seats are part of the SR5 upgrade package, which looks to be pretty common on new trucks. My chances of finding one I like are increasing with each comment in this thread.

SSPey likes this.
  10. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:31 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    The SR5 with upgrade package is the best dollar value and the more commonly available right now.

11. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    ^This. I just sold my 2019 and got a 2021 SR5 mainly for the upgrade package and larger fuel tank. It was $2,000 less than MSRP. They had several TRD packages that added another $3500 or so and also selling at MSRP. For $5000 I can put on a kickass suspension if I wanted!

12. Apr 23, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Johnathan_Herbert.png

About damn time you chose a mature truck!

Welcome from Texas Hill Country. :D

RRR1C0 and cochese[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  13. Apr 23, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    LOL well....I used to drive a '04 Tacoma, but the Tundra will win me waaaay more grandpa points.

What's that sonny?

14. Apr 23, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
  15. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Was able to find something close to the truck I want locally, although it won't be built and delivered for another 1-2 months. Sounds like the way you do it is you pay a down payment, then wait until the truck arrives a few months later. Such is life during Covid.

Truck is:
    SR5 Double Cab
    Cement Grey
    18" alloy wheels
    Premium Audio
    SR5 Upgrade Pkg
    All weather mats/liners
    Spray-on bedliner

I had my heart set on TRD upgrade pkg, but now I think I'd prefer not to have it, so I save a few bucks and customize to my own liking down the road.

But yeah the situation with dealers is no bueno at this moment. No negotiation whatsoever, and if I don't confirm in the next day or so, someone else will reserve it.

16. Apr 24, 2021 at 3:41 PM
    Meanjoe

Meanjoe BT3 USN

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayde
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 2020 Tundra SR 4x4 Double Cab Super White Long Bed
    I went with a 2020 SR 4x4 model for that very reason.....I'm going to upgrade EVERYTHING anyway, I just wanted double cab, 4x4, and long bed. I have already put on my choice of side steps, tonneau cover, and I am upgrading the wheels & tires when the original ones wear out. I'm going to do a leveling kit or a 2 inch lift a little later also....

cochese[OP] likes this.
  17. Apr 24, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax TRD Off-road
    I recently bought a used 2019 CrewMax. It was a SR5 with the TRD Off-road stuff. Price was good so I bought it. Imo, the TRD Off-road package on the Tundra is hardly that. Would not pay for it were I buying new. I’ll be replacing all skid plates, especially the one for the gas tank seems very flimsy, and probably the shocks. May as well have started with a base SR5. If the off-road package came with a rear locker my tune would change. So I think you are on the right track if you plan any significant off road use.

cochese[OP] likes this.
  18. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @Pmac @Meanjoe good to see a few fellow Oregonians. Now that I'm looking for a Tundra, I've started noticing how many drive around here.

That locker comment is exactly the intent of my post. Is there anything like that, that I can't get later. Doesn't sound like it.

Meanjoe likes this.
  19. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    RRR1C0

RRR1C0 New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 TRD CrewMax
    Riding on 275/70R18 Toyo AT3s w/ 1.75” RC leveling kit.
    Really just depends on your preferences and your “must-haves” , like if you are ok with waiting on suspension what are the other features that you would rather already have from day 1. Anyway good luck with the truck hunting and welcome to the forums!

20. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    As far as I know, and I’m almost a Tundra Novice, there are several very good locker options for our trucks, front and rear. Myself, after bigger/better tires, spray on bed liner, full skid plates and sliders, I’ll add a front winch & bumper and possibly a rear locker. I’ve done lots of off-road, mostly to explore for new hunting areas, needed a winch 4x and lockers may have helped me once, all in the last 30 years. I made it out of two winch needs, two I had to find help waaaaay out there, the locker need I simply backed out of. YMMV. Tires and liner are done, skids are here and will be installed soon. Slider maybe this Summer or next spring, not sure. Then bumper with winch, may never get to lockers as I won’t seriously rock crawl or do heavy mud with this Tankdra.

Meanjoe likes this.
  21. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    By the way, hello from Orygun.

Meanjoe likes this.
  22. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:36 PM
    cochese

cochese [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @Pmac Yeah I'll likely never need that locker either. Just wanted to know what I'd be passing up. You know...to make a more informed decision. I have a line on a cement double cab SR5 over at Gladstone Toyota. LMK if you have any experience with that dealership, good or bad.

23. Apr 24, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Bought several Toyota’s there, all good experiences. Seems like a vg shop. Less service knowledge with them, but I’d use them.

cochese[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  24. Apr 30, 2021 at 4:16 PM
    blackwaterfrog

blackwaterfrog New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma/Texas
    2020 SR 4x4
    Do yourself a favor and buy a brand-new Sr 4x4 and save tons of money, then do all the upgrades and mods yourself. If you're not doing serious off-roading you don't need all of that stuff. And if you are doing serious off-roading you need something with short wheel base like a Jeep. I bought my 2020 Sr for 33.4 K with a bed liner. Then I changed out the wheels, put sheepskin seat covers in, WeatherTech mats and a rough country front bumper as well as a soft topper. Also had the stock stereo removed and put in a Kenwood excelon With Garmin Navi. The only thing I'm going to do to the suspension is a 2in leveler and when I replace the tires I'll put 275 65's S and that's it. These trucks are really too big for any extreme serious off-roading.

cochese[OP] likes this.
  25. Apr 30, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    You don’t need TRD if you’re going to upgrade suspension BUT if you’re not gonna do that until the OEM tires wear out... 30k + miles, the TRD is much more comfortable than non-TRD. Don’t drive both if you want to avoid choosing the TRD. It’s not a perfect ride, but it’s noticeably better than non-TRD.

Unlike someone up a ways, I really like the stock Michelins— BUT I don’t drive much in the snow. If you don’t drive much in snow or mud, and aren’t planning to go hard off-road, they’re great aired down on and off-road til you get your money’s worth.

Definitely get the 38 gallon tank.
    That flimsy gas tank skid has proven to be better than about anything else on the market. It supports the weight of the truck smacking or sliding over rocks and, apparently, dissipates the energy well = no breaks, punctures, or cracks in the tank. And it’s lightweight compared to aftermarket metal skids... and any steel skid will rust. Also, the tank kind of floats and flexes the way it’s attached— if you add a metal skid and use it for the type of off-roading that would justify getting a metal skid, you’ll get rocks and mud and sand between the tank and the skid. So, weird as it seems, those Toyota engineers did pretty well with the cheap-ass plastic gas tank skids.

If you can’t get over needing a metal gas skid, look at Bud Built.

A lot of us on here prove otherwise. But if you prefer the limits of a short wheel base, that’s your call. :ballchain:

Oey12 and cochese[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  26. Apr 30, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    tttrdpro

tttrdpro Former Naval Person

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SWGA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White TRD Pro
    In progress…
    The way it worked for me was when we reached an agreement on the price for a new truck, I wrote them a check for $1000 which they kept with the paperwork until I picked the truck up almost 3 months later. Maybe your dealer will do something similar.

cochese[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  27. May 2, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    blackwaterfrog

Member:
    Oklahoma/Texas
    2020 SR 4x4
    The switchbacks are proof enough. Or maybe you have a mod that cuts your turning radius in half.

28. May 2, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Don’t know. Haven’t found anything yet that’s not doable. There’s a switchback on a small side track off of White Mountain (Big Bear, CA) that leads down to a mine; that was so narrow that a couple did a bit of Austin Powers maneuvering to make sure a rock outcropping inside the turn didn’t touch paint. But so far, if our tires fit on the truck, there’s usually a way forward.

It’s certainly best :D when everyone participating knows how to back a vehicle, just in case— that’s another lost skill apparently.

15whtrd likes this.
  29. May 2, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    blackwaterfrog

Member:
    Oklahoma/Texas
    2020 SR 4x4
    Check out the Rubicon trail thread. Apparently 0 Tundras have done it. Maybe you could be the first.

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. May 2, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    That is an awesome goal! I think @Cruzer may have that in mind as well. But, to your point, al though I’ve heard of the Rubicon, I have never checked video and have also never heard of a full- sized truck doing it. That said, your wording was ‘extreme serious off-roading’. Everyone interprets differently; I know several guys on this forum have done a lot driving 2nd and 3rd Gen Tundras while while Jeep guys line up and watch, sure we can’t do it. Our trucks can do a lot with a driver accustomed to the long wheel base. That’s all I meant.

Edit: now, if by ‘extreme’, you meant something like the video @ColoradoTJ had in his signature... well then, I agree with you. But that’s far beyond what almost any Jeep and driver can do, so it’s kind of a moot point.

Products Discussed in

To Top