1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring a front camera for 2nd gen

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by trevorstuart24, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Mar 15, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    trevorstuart24

trevorstuart24 [OP] New Member

Member:
    As the title states I'm trying to figure out how to do this properly since the FRAC harness is only designed for 3rd gens. I have minimal electrical knowledge but i can learn! I have the 2011 limited with the OEM Nav/jbl screen which already displays my backup camera when placed in reverse.

I found a diagram that someone setup both a left and right camera that could be toggled at anytime. The setup also allowed for the regular backup camera to display when placed in reverse. How could this be edited to allow for just one front camera? I'm guessing I'd need to get a 2 way video switcher. Then I'd need to use a three way switch to toggle between front camera, rear camera, and default settings?

I think this diagram is tricking the Nav into thinking the vehicle is in reverse.

wiring.jpg

2. Mar 15, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    Any new double DIN stereo comes with multiple AV inputs in the rear, not trying to stomp on your parade, but you’d be much better off tossing that OEM stereo in the trash and upgrading to a decent stereo before purchasing a bunch of parts to make this work...

3. Mar 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    Jeff_1974

Jeff_1974 Cookeville, TN

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 supercharged rock warrior dc
    Supercharger Bama Exhaust Bully dog tune Bed extender Roll up Bed cover Bed carpet 18” Method wheels Falken wildpeak 285 75 18 P & P rock sliders Weather tech floor mats Sdhq pre runner bumper Warn 9.5 xp synthetic winch Icon 2.5” lift Iron cross rear bumper RCI al skids Trd brake pads Trd front sway bar Deaver u748 leaf springs Marathon seat covers
    That’s the route I went.
    Kenwood dnx893s

4. Mar 15, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    omgboost

omgboost The Accountant

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Platinum
  5. Mar 15, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    trevorstuart24

Member:
    i appreciate hearing other alternatives. you think buying a new head unit would be a simple plug and play with the JBL sound system and stock wiring for everything?

edit: i just looked up pricing and it's hard to rationalize spending $900 to be able to use a front camera. especially when the cost in parts to rewire the OEM one would be less than $50.

Jrharvey02[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 15, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya, my main point was how terrible the stock sound is and you have no idea until you upgrade. There’s nothing special about the tundra and it’s wiring when it comes to swapping out stereos, hell, most places will give you free install when you purchase from them...any pioneer AVIC starting around $300 should give you much better sound and additional video inputs. Just sayin.

7. Mar 15, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    trevorstuart24

Member:
    oh i didn't realize this. is this the case with the upgraded sound system(which i have)? i think i remember seeing some threads about difficulties hooking up the amp to a different head unit but i didn't look into it since i wasn't planning on it.

8. Mar 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yes, unfortunately even the “upgraded” system sucks and I’m no bass thumper or anything like that, hell, I listen to bluegrass mostly. In any sense, ideally you want an upgraded head unit, new 6x9 speakers (and adapters) in each door along with new tweeters (in each door) and a thin JL 10” sub behind the seats. An amp or two under the front seats comes in handy too. It’s a lot, I know, but the sooner you start replacing each part, the sooner you’ll have a decent system in there...many on here have upgraded simply the head unit and the additional wattage it puts out is a strong improvement over stock.

Products Discussed in

To Top