1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wires for interior lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 53flattie, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:43 PM
    53flattie

53flattie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    2.5" / 1.5" leveling kit ; 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO's
    I'm looking to install some LED strip lights to illuminate my Amp Power Steps when they extend. I thought I could power the lights by the trigger wires for the steps, but not so much... The motor only gets momentary power to extend and retract the boards.

Ideally, I need wires that will be energized while the doors are open - such as the ones for the interior lights. But I really don't want to have to fish wires through the headliner. Does anyone know which wires might accomplish this around the kick-panel area?

Here's a picture of the passenger kick panel area. You can see the two wire taps for the board motors at the bottom of the pic. There are a ton of wires in there, and I poked around with my wire tester, but it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack...

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Jul 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Door pins are a negative trigger.. it has 12v on the wire door closed till you open the door then the wire is negative not positive no more.

If your running leds hot wire connected to fuse then power source then the negative wire is tied in with your pin/door wire.. and your done.

3. Jul 14, 2016 at 4:59 AM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Thanks Mike. That is certainly an option. Just need to see how I can get wires fished up to the door pin...

4. Jul 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    You can also tap the same wire used for adding bed LED lights. It is located in the wire bundle beneath the rear, driver side scuff plate. It is a grayish/purplish wire in the bundle among 3-4 gray/black wires. It will power your lights any time you open a door, turn on the cargo light, or use the key fob to unlock the doors and it will fade off with the other lights. You can tap that wire and use an in-line fuse from the tap.

5. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:34 AM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Platinum Edition, SIlver Sky Metallic
    My AMP PowerSteps came with connections in the wire harness for LEDs that light whenever the door is opened and they are controlled by the PowerStep controller / brain that is in the engine bay. There are two wire harnesses within the master harness on each side that are specifically there for that purpose. They light when the door is opened and turn off when the door is closed. Isn't this enough? Didn't yours come with the LED wires? The PowerSteps also came with LEDs that are OK, but tend to be a bit purplish instead of white. So others have used a white LED strip connected to one of the light connections to light up the whole side of their truck.

6. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    This sounds like the perfect option. Can you tell me what you mean by "scuff plate"?

7. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Chuckles - I bought my steps at a discount. Accordingly, they did not come with the lights or the wiring harness for the lights.

ChucklesToy likes this.
  8. Jul 14, 2016 at 11:04 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Sure. Here is a picture of my driver side, rear passenger scuff plate. It is the black plastic molding just inside the door opening on the floor (above the sill protector).
    IMG_3075.jpg

The scuff plate pulls up and is connected to some pressure clips that run just above the wiring harness channel. Hope this helps....

9. Jul 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Thanks so much Ron. I didn't know those wires were there, but I'm really glad they are. My next project was going to be lights in the bed. This will kill two birds with one stone!

10. Jul 14, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    That's good, Tim. Yes, as long as you are under the truck crawling around, you might as well knock them both out at the same time. Here is a picture of the wiring under the scuff plate. The wire you will need to tap can be confused with some of the others if you aren't careful - it is on the far right in the picture below. I had to expose the wire bundle to a strong light to see the subtle difference in colors. You may want to use a test light to confirm which wire it is. Connect the test light to a ground point, remove a small area of the wire insulation, place the + on the test light against it, and the test light should light. Then, press the door switch to simulate the door closed, and the test light should go out with the other time-delayed lights.

Cargo Light Wire.jpg

11. Jul 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    So I'm looking for the one on the far right, beside the green one on your middle finger?

12. Jul 14, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Well, in that photo, it is. The odds of all the wires being in that configuration when you get to yours and raise them has got to be small at best! The best advice I can give is that it 1. is one of the thinner wires (you'll notice that some are thicker than the others) and 2. It isn't black and it isn't all gray. It is a puke gray/purplish tint color. But, then again, I could be color blind! That is why I put in the part about verifying it with a test light.

13. Jul 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Ron - thanks to your advice, I was able to locate the wire. I really appreciate the help.

I checked all the wires on the passenger side as well, hoping to find the same on that side. No such luck. Looks like I'll have to pull the power from the drivers side to the passenger side.

One additional question - that wire is pretty light gauge - I would guess 16 or 18ga. Is that going to be enough to supply power to the LED lights? I know they don't require that much power, but I also don't want to smoke the wires or anything. Here's a shot of the power requirements on the light packaging. Keep in mind that I won't be using the entire 15ft roll. Probably only 8 or 10 feet total.

[​IMG]

14. Jul 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Hey, Tim. Ok, wattage divided by volts = amps and I see that the packaging in your post lists several different products. So, since I don't know which product you are looking to install, and assuming the most power-hungry of the products listed, here goes: 72 watts (4100066-F)/12 volts = 6 amps total. If you used 10 feet of that product, or about 67% of it would be about 4 amps of LED's. Does that sound about right to you insofar as the LED's you will be adding in total? If so, you should be ok on what you are trying to do. The cargo light circuit is a 7.5 amp circuit if memory serves me correctly. When I did my lights, I added 2 LED lights in the rear corners of the bed (about 2 amps total) and 4 6-watt LED's (one above each door step location) for another 2 amps, so 4 amps total, which is about what you are adding. I would suggest that you add a 7.5 amp in-line fuse to the connection tap under the scuff plate that will be powering your LED's to protect the added lights/wiring. When I installed mine, I connected my bed lights and door lights to a single power wire for the under-sill power tap and grounded the lights to the nearest convenient location under the truck as I installed them. I used 16 gauge wire, which was probably overkill, but would rather go heavier on the gauge and be safe than sorry. Keep in mind that the gauge of wire you need to use also depends on the length you will be running it in total. You can run 16 gauge wire up to about 25' at about 8 amps so it should be plenty heavy. I routed my wiring by following the OEM wiring loom under the truck and used plastic ties to secure it. I also recommend that you use wiring loom for all the wiring you run for protection of the wire. Let me know if you have any more questions on how I installed my lights.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  15. Jul 18, 2016 at 6:54 AM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Thank so much for the detailed response Ron. After taking that picture, I realized that it was for 4 different options of lights. I just checked and I have the 36watt option, or 3 amps (if I used the entire roll).

I hope to get these wired up today or tomorrow. I'll post up pictures and/or a short video when I do.
    Thanks again for all your help!

16. Jul 18, 2016 at 8:31 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Cool beans, Tim! Glad to help. Here are a couple of pics of the lights I installed..

IMG_2902a.jpg IMG_2904a.jpg

Pics were taken in a dark garage.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  17. Jul 18, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    Thanks to Ron's advice, I was able to get these lights installed this evening.

Turns out there is a grommet just in front of the back seat hump, about a foot inboard. I was able to bring the trigger wire out there.

This pic is from under the truck and you can see where the ground went as well as the white wire (power) going to the passenger side.

[​IMG]

https://vimeo.com/175315471

Thanks again Ron. I owe you one!

18. Jul 19, 2016 at 8:04 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Tim, congratulations on the install! Looks great! Glad things worked out and you got 'er done!

19. Jul 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    [​IMG]

Dammit... I guess the adhesive is cheap or the heat is just too much for it.

Guess I'll be picking up some 3M double-sided adhesive.

20. Jul 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deep breaths, Tim! Make sure you clean the mount location well with alcohol first. Then heat the location with a hair dryer or heat gun (just warm to the touch) before putting the lights on. It also helps to clamp the lights on the location, if possible, for a few minutes. I applied my LED's to the drip ledge on my truck, which is a flat surface. I clamped the lights to the drip ledge using a thin piece of wood, laid over the surface of the lights, and the wood piece clamped to the lights and back of the drip ledge. Let stay clamped for about 15 minutes, and good to go.

21. Jul 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM
    53flattie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 CM 4WD
    I cleaned the surface with nail polish remover, but maybe I should have use alcohol. I'll try that tomorrow. Grrr.

22. Jul 20, 2016 at 8:51 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    The acetone in the nail polish should have cleaned the surface of wax/etc. You may have the right idea by placing 3M tape on the truck and then sticking the light strip to the 3M tape. I'd leave the existing tape on the back of the light strip - should stick like a son-of-a-gun to the 3M tape. You also may want to heat the surface you will be placing the tape strip on.

To Top