1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter tires

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Knyqch, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    Knyqch

Knyqch [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra limited trd off road
    Any recommendations in winter tires? First time having a truck. Usually been driving SUVs all my life.

This is my first winter with a truck too how does it drive?

Thank you in advance and

2. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    Will816

Will816 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited iForce Max TRD Off Road
    What part of the world are you in? What is winter like? I live in a ski resort and I’ve never personally used snow tires. My dad, on the other hand, hits Craigslist for a second set of factory wheels any time he gets a new vehicle and buys a set of snow tires for those wheels, and he swaps them out in the winter every single year. I know he’s had a lot of luck with Bridgestone Blizzak tires, and I’ve had a lot of luck with BF Goodrich KO2’s year round. I think the KO2’s are one of the better non-winter specific tires in snow.

Scruffy_Nerf likes this.
  3. Oct 10, 2022 at 8:21 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Nokian Hakka's......if you have a long cold icy snowy winter... otherwise....get 3 peak tires.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Wynnded, omgboost, WILLINH and 3 others like this.
  4. Oct 11, 2022 at 4:58 AM
    Knyqch

Knyqch [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm in Toronto area in ontario Canada, snow gets pretty bad in the winter and I do mostly highway driving. I've always had the blizzaks which I liked. But dealer is only offering me hankooks anyone have experience this those?

g r a n t likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2022 at 5:08 AM
    Bird Dog

Bird Dog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Lindsay, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra CMLB Lunar Rock
    I'm in Lindsay, ON. I'm putting the Toyo GSI-6 on the truck.

g r a n t likes this.
  6. Oct 11, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    therandomsuit

therandomsuit New Member

Member:
    I live in Wisconsin and we have pretty long winters. A lot of roads will be covered with hard snow pack all winter long. One of the nice things about a 1/2 ton pickup is they are heavier so your winter traction is going to be better to begin with on the standard all season tires. Otherwise I would say looking into an all terrain/season tire that has the severe snow service rating(triple peak) before getting dedicated winter only tires. That's the plan I'm going with since on previous trucks I have always been fine without them but on my cars or light suvs I have always bought snow tires because they are lighter.

7. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:17 AM
    gmcguire7220

gmcguire7220 New Member

Member:
    Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited TRD OR Crewmax - WCP- 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XSE
    TRD running boards & Falken Wildpeak tires
    I used to be just north of you, but now am between there and S/W Ont regularly. My previous veh I ran BF Goodrich winter KSI winter tires and they were great. This time, I'm not going dedicated winter and running a good All Weather All Terrain tire (Falken Wildpeak AT3W) full time. This winter will tell. I think if you are doing dedicated snows, in the GTA deep snow tread isnt necessarily needed, but a good tread for hard packed snow and ice. If you are up in cottage country that may be different, but most of the winter the roads are snow packed /ice for a few days then cleared and bare pavement more often than not. Until next snow fall.

my 2c

8. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:44 AM
    Will816

Will816 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure Hankooks are fine, but can't you look elsewhere for tires? Or is the dealer giving you a deal?

BravoDeltaRomeo and snivilous like this.
  9. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:59 AM
    BuckyCanada

BuckyCanada New Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Limited TRD OR
    OEM Tonneau, TRD step rails, Bed Step ordered, Soon - Charvonia tiedowns, Taco cat shield
    I put a lot of thought into this myself especially with nasty winter conditions in Ontario.

While the 3 peak tires are a good start for all around winter preparedness I had some other criteria that was important.

The first is how do insurance companies judge what is a winter tire?

The second is given the hazard of ice, how do the all terrain tires with the 3 peak symbol perform?

There wasn’t any clear answers in what I was able to research, however, I saw a YouTube video were a couple of average guys did their own stopping evaluations with traditional winter tires (Blizzaks and x-ice) versus 3 peak all terrains. The traditional winter tires stopped 15-20 feet shorter than the all terrains.

I have Blizzaks on order now for install in 2 weeks. I will be anxious to compare to 2 different friends who plan to use KO2s through the winter.

10. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:13 AM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Ketchum, McCall, Targee, or Sandpoint?

I used to run studded snow 275/65/20’s on all my old tundras for winter. I was also driving all winter long towing a trailer across montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Debating getting another set if we have a big winter, nothing works nearly as well as a set of studded snows

IslandStyle likes this.
  11. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:17 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I live in northwestern Alberta. I run studded Nokian Hakkapellita. I have them on my '13 Corolla, had them on my '05 Tundra and will be putting them on my '22 Tundra. Nothing better imho.

12. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    I live an hour west of you. I started using winter tires around 20 years ago. I’ve always been partial to Michelins.
    The stopping distance is reduced.
    Both sets of tires will last longer.
    Btw, I know some Canadian insurance companies offer even a slight discount if you run winter tires.
    When the roads are slick with either lots of water, ice or snow I put it in 4WD.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  13. Oct 11, 2022 at 8:38 AM
    Will816

Will816 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Ketchum, born and raised in Hailey. 5B for life. It is admittedly easier here since it's such a dry snow, even in winters with record snow fall. We might get a day or two of difficulty after a snow storm, but once the roads are plowed they stay dry.

14. Oct 11, 2022 at 10:02 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That’s true, it’s the drive outside of SV that I want studded snows on- Fairfield, wildcat pass craters of the moon, salmon river to north fork, etc

15. Oct 11, 2022 at 10:26 PM
    kparrow

kparrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    Well I can only comment on my experience but was in Great Falls, Montana for 3 winters and it’s hard pack snow and ice in the city with temps well below freezing and usually below zero. I ran Goodyear Ultraterrain 3 peak rated AT’s and did fine. If it was slick I kicked 4wd on and took my time. They ATE snow like nothing in 4wd and never once did I get stuck. One time we had a storm that dumped 18” in under 24hrs and all the side streets people were getting stuck because they only plow the emergency routes during storms like that. I pulled people out all day and not once did I get stuck. If I was going to deal with lots of ice all winter instead of occasionally, I’d got studded snow tires hands down. The AT’a did fine but stopping distance took a hit when it was slick. All dependent on your experience level too. I’m in Nampa, ID now and I’d argue last winter was worse than Montana for driving because nobody is used to it, and it barely snows enough just to make everything slick as shit for the morning drive, and people slide all over the damn place. I still manage just fine, it’s the others I have to watch out for. This winter will tell if I need to swap out to studdless snows or if I can manage AT’s again. Made do last year and if it’s anything like that, I’ll have no need for snow tires

16. Oct 12, 2022 at 3:36 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    If a difference of 15-20 ft of stopping distance is a major issue for you, then I’d first re-evaluate the way one drives in winter conditions and ice. Starting with “do I really need to be driving right now if there’s ice on the road”. If driving is a necessity and ice is daily issue, get a dedicated set of winter tires and have them studded. You won’t be able to drive like it’s July 4th, but those spikes will give you some peace of mind.

17. Oct 12, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    BuckyCanada

BuckyCanada New Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Limited TRD OR
    OEM Tonneau, TRD step rails, Bed Step ordered, Soon - Charvonia tiedowns, Taco cat shield
    I am good with my driving habits with winter tires- it’s the boneheads on the road who don’t drive with the conditions that you need to watch out for! The number of times drivers wait for the last second to change lanes or merge on/off exit ramps is unreal.

Unfortunately the street I live on isn’t a priority for snow and ice clearing so it can go many days or weeks before we see a plow. Staying at home isn’t an option. With 4x4 and good tires this is a challenge that can be overcome.

I appreciate your thoughts for sure. Save driving everyone!

18. Oct 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    Bammer

Bammer I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Monroe, CT
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Crew Max 4x4
    Goodyear Winter Force mounted on dedicated winter rims. Take care of them and you will have them last for many seasons.

19. Oct 12, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    pnoman

pnoman New Member

Member:
    I’m in Barrie, the Toyo’s GI’s are my fist choice, i sold tires for over 25 years. In saying that i just run a snow rated 4 weather tire. I’m currently running Yokohama.

g r a n t likes this.
  20. Oct 12, 2022 at 9:57 AM
    Coasty

Coasty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2022 SRS Crew Max 6.5 4x4
    I put some 3 peaks snow rated Les Schwab all terrain tires so I don't have to mess with swapping them out twice a year for winter.

21. Oct 12, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    FLKX

FLKX New Member

Member:
    Blizzak 275/65R20 for me!

B2.jpg

22. Oct 12, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    Knyqch

Knyqch [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the help I never knew I would get this many replies haha. I think I will just go somewhere else I don't know why the dealer only offering michelin and hankooks but I think I will stick the blizzak. At least I know now it's a good idea to get winters even for a truck because a lot of people were telling me all seasons were good enough

23. Oct 12, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    t300

t300 New Member

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    22tundra
    Everyone says that until they live an icy winter with true winter tires . Can’t miss what you’ve never had. Having said that, I’m in Manitoba and have new cooper at3 xlt, since they are fresh I’ll probably leave them on for first winter, next winter go to studded hakkas or studded duratrac (compromise for better deep snow)

24. Oct 12, 2022 at 10:24 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You are slightly colder in nampa than Boise but man, snow tires suck in town. Our weather is so erratic that they don’t make sense unless you are traveling out of town constantly. In montana I needed them Halloween-March, when I moved here I was constantly at Les Schwab having my wheels swapped out.

kparrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Oct 13, 2022 at 5:20 AM
    Hike5

Hike5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited Crewmax
    The stock geolander x-cv’s on the Limited seemed to get decent snow/ice reviews…enough so that I’ll probably keep them on (I’m in New England, lots of snow/ice).

I had 3peaks rated BFGs on my Tacoma when I totaled it on a slightly icy road.

26. Oct 13, 2022 at 6:49 AM
    RookieEP

RookieEP New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Magnetic Gray
    None
    Get some tubes of sand and I'd stick to stock tires for the first year. Then the following fall or a tire place closes out the snow tires come spring buy a set. With 4wd and good stock tires one can go anywhere reasonable on the road. The issue becomes more about other idiots on the road and a lack of stopping distance. Most people I would say run into problems due to being on a tight budget and not able to afford good quality tires, driving in the winter with basically bald tires. Now if one simple wants the best for certain condition- I've heard the Blizzaks are the way to go. When I lived in WI, I never bought specific snow tires, common sense and being cautious worked fine.

27. Oct 13, 2022 at 4:37 PM
    jproy12

jproy12 ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    JP
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supersonic Red Platinum Hybrid
    Any more pictures of your truck? I've got the same on order, Platinum SS Red, and want to see what it looks like with the black wheels.

28. Oct 13, 2022 at 5:24 PM
    Fishhead

Fishhead New Member

Member:
    When I lived in Alaska I ran Blizzaks in winter and K02s spring summer and fall.

RookieEP likes this.
  29. Oct 13, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    Dick Proenneke

Dick Proenneke New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Limited
    Tonneau, 3M, Tires
    I ran 275/65/20 Blizzaks on my 2022 Limited Tundra, last winter in Edmonton, AB and they were pretty good. I have run Duratracs (Winter Rated) year round on my lifted Tacoma and they were OK. I've also run Nokian Hakkapiltas. IMHO, winter rated all season are OK for snow, but you need a designated winter tire for ice.

RookieEP likes this.
  30. Oct 13, 2022 at 8:54 PM
    FLKX

FLKX New Member

Member:

1.jpg 2.jpg

Hope that helps, the lugs and caps are from my platinum wheels. I have yet to find a place online to order the right black lugs and trd caps.

jproy12[QUOTED] and RookieEP like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top