1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield Replacement

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Bheid, May 16, 2019.

1. May 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    Bheid

Bheid [OP] It's not a toy, it's a Toyota.

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra SR5
    Fab Fours Black Steel Elite front bumper Rhino Lined Bed Century Truck Cap Bridgestone KO2 tires K Source tow mirrors Blackvue Dashcam
    Back in Jan of 2018 I got pegged by a rock on the interstate that chipped the windshield.

I had Safelight come out and do a chip repair on it. In the past week the repair failed and the chip is back. I called Safelight and they are coming out to replace the windshield tomorrow.

I've never had a windshield on a vehicle replaced and want to know if there is anything I should be cautious of after the install.

I know it's a fairly common thing to have done, but I am completely ignorant to what issues could come up 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc. from the replacement.

2. May 16, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    Smiley

Smiley New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tundra TRD
    When they cut the old urethane they may scratch the paint down in the window frame.
    If not properly treated this can be a future rust issue.

Sunnier, Trooper2 and Bheid[OP] like this.
  3. May 16, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    Ask them if your vehicle's lane departure camera will need to be re-calibrated after installation. Some are reporting yes... :eek2:

Edit: Sorry my bad, I misread your truck year model.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. May 16, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    I've had them scrape the paint on the roof right above the windshield before (prior car). Make sure to look it over good before they leave. I've got 4 chips in my Tundra's windshield right now and am hesitant to have it replaced due to past experience. If I get another one that spreads it will probably be time to reconsider....

Bheid[OP] and Trooper2 like this.
  5. May 17, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    Bheid

Bheid [OP] It's not a toy, it's a Toyota.

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra SR5
    Fab Fours Black Steel Elite front bumper Rhino Lined Bed Century Truck Cap Bridgestone KO2 tires K Source tow mirrors Blackvue Dashcam
    Well had to have replacement put off until next week.

I had no idea my truck had a heated windshield and Safelight has to order the right windshield.

Would have been nice to know sooner, lol

6. May 18, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    RJN55

RJN55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra LIMITED DC (Flares, Rear Sway Bars, Timbrens, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Running Boards, Visors, 18 inch rims with 10 ply Michelin AT/2's, Bed Lights, Tow Mirrors
    Had mine replaced a couple of months ago (2018 Limited). Had it done by Toyota as no one had the 2018 heated windshield availab;e other than Toyota (at least at the time) - got 3rd party quotes but then they found it wasn't available. Did have the camera realigned.
    After the 'first' one was installed the Dealer said they didn't like it because of some distortion in the top corner and a slight mark in the glass. So they apologized and said they would replace it again (had to wait a couple of weeks as it was back ordered).
    Because they were going to replace it again they didn't align the camera ($250) but asked me to not depend on the lane departure etc.
    It did make a difference when they did align it....I figure it was off enough to put the truck off side by about 12 inches.

Got interesting stories about aligning the cameras when pricing with aftermarket dealers. Some said oh it'll be ok, others said drive it for a few weeks and see if you think it needs alignment, another said it self aligns (I don't believe this one though starting in the future they are supposed to). 3rd party pricing for alignment varied from 250 to 500.

7. May 18, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    mikeee

mikeee New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport CM
    STOCK!
    Would insurance allow to replace with Toyota one or 3rd party and camera alignment? Got crack only when I had Tundra for 2 weeks :*( Gosh hate road construction!

8. May 18, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    RJN55

RJN55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra LIMITED DC (Flares, Rear Sway Bars, Timbrens, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Running Boards, Visors, 18 inch rims with 10 ply Michelin AT/2's, Bed Lights, Tow Mirrors
    Don't think insurance has a choice if one insists. didn't have a problem myself.

9. May 18, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T

Depends on your insurance. I have Farmers with free glass, when my 2014 was about 3 weeks old I caught a rock and got a new OEM Toyota windshield. Now about a month ago I got another crack and this time I ended up with a Safelite one because Farmers only installs OEM for the first couple of years. If I wanted a Toyota one I would have had to pay the additional cost.

10. May 18, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    RJN55

RJN55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    One thing I was told was Toyota would only align cameras if it was one of their windshields.

11. May 18, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Camera is part of the PCS system and well as lane departure. It needs to be recalibrated after install. Otherwise it might start off a bunch of random PCS warnings.

Products Discussed in

To Top