1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield Replaced/Something Creaking or Knocking

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tundraatx, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Apr 18, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    tundraatx

tundraatx [OP] 2008 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Limited Double Cab, 5.7L
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    I just got my windshield replaced and now I have a creaking/knocking sound when I drive over a hilly road that's uneven and causes the body to flex. If it's a smooth even road there's no issue.

The windshield guy forgot to tell me NOT to drive it for at least an hour. When I told him I heard the creaking/knocking sound, he said don't drive it for 24 hours, so I turned around after driving for about 10 min. I waited 24 hours, and the issue persists.

He came back and replied an entire 2nd tube all around the windshield. No air gaps. No sqeaks or whistles.

He said removing the windshield and reapplying it to set for a full hour or more wouldn't resolve the issue. When he removed the top trim he said the line was flush so he knows it didn't move. Only thing he said was something about pushing up too high or low when the windshield was installed. But if it was too low the windshield would break. And it's not too high.

It seems like the only thing left to do is to remove the windshield and reinstall it again. I have never encountered an issue like this, neither has my mechanic who can look at the truck in a couple of weeks.

For shits and grins I started pushing down on the dash, which replicates the sound I'm hearing. What I can't figure out is how does removing the windshield cause the dash to start creaking?

From the googling I've done online, it seems like this issue occurs a lot when windshields are replaced but there can be a variety of causes of the creaking. Just seems too coincidental. Old windshield no creaking. New windshield creaking.

06 Tundra reg cab

In the interim I've turned up the podcast volume to mask the creaking/knocking sound.

2. Apr 18, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Sorry to hear this. I just had mine done and there is a warranty for this. Sounds like the installer needs to tear out and reinstall the glass again (even though he ‘said’ it wouldn’t resolve the issue).

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Apr 18, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    Tell him top come back and do it right.

Nothing like going down the road and getting a stress crack from flex.

4. Apr 18, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    2x this.

5. Apr 18, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1) Bought with 225k miles on it, a Westin bullnose bumper, and OEM tundra steps 2) Current Mileage 238k Mods: 1) Dirty Deeds BA Mufflers 8 inch with resonator (as of Feb 2021) - Had the 10 inch with resonator - Prefer the 10 inch without resonator - deeper sound hear it more in the cab 2.) Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Guard 3) Ranch Hand Summit Bumper 4) Billstein 5100s all around 5) TRD front and rear sway bars 6.) Rough Country wheel to wheel steps 7) Pioneer 8400 NEX Wireless ApplePlay 8) Backup Camera: e-raptor 9) LED white lights replaced in headlights, fog lights, inside cabin, and exterior lights 10) Linex (unbranded by Central Texas Truck Coatings) 11) OEM Toyota side panels and generic panel on tailgate Maintenance/Repairs: 1) Valve covers, belt tensioner, alternator belt - $415 2) Evaporation fuel canister and filter replacment $1547 *This was a Toyota TSB for 07-08 AFAIK. Toyota covered in first 3 years of ownership. Mine failed after 13 years of daily regular driving use. Not bad at all. 3) Pioneer Unit - had to ship to Pioneer to replace Output IC - $45 (shipping) free under 1 year warranty fix 4) Pioneer Unit - Electrical feed back coming through speakers when accelerating. Fix was to check all wiring/tighten up/ make connections good again $42. 5.) Rear passenger door actuator replaced. Part was $287 with tax on ebay from Toyota dealer free shipping. 6.) Rack and Pinion, tow mirrors, shocks install, lifetime alignment - $1884.36
    That's what I thought too.

Another windshield shop said the windshield might be too low where it meets dash causing the flex of the dash to creak. I press down on the dash where the windshield and dash meet and it creaks a bunch.

Going to get some thicker foam to put between the windshield and dash as much as I can to see if that solves issue

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Apr 23, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    tundraatx

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top