1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will my 3rd gen suspension fit on 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TuFerLife, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Sep 26, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    3" Toytec Eibach coilovers with .5" coachbuilder shims and Coachbuilder +3 shackles, JBA Upper Control Arms, Fuel Assault 20x10 -18 offset on 35x12.50 Cooper ST Maxx, Amp research stepbars, JBA Long tube headers, custom mid pipes and TRD Replacement exhaust system by Dirty Deeds, TRD Black Chrome Tailpipes, Bullit liner spray in liner, S&B CAI, Katzkin leather with Degreez heated and cooling system, Husky floorliners, Coachbuilder roof rack with 13 Rigid pods and Switchpro switch, TRD skid plate, Pop-N-Lock, Auto Tailgate down mod, Rattletrap sound deadener in headliner and door panels. Kenwood DDX 9906XR headunit with full Tech 12 volts sound system and dash cam.
    I have a 2018 and took off my springs and shocks, a guy that has a 2012 is interested.

I can’t imagine they would be different. But will they fit?

2. Sep 26, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Eibach coilovers with .5" coachbuilder shims and Coachbuilder +3 shackles, JBA Upper Control Arms, Fuel Assault 20x10 -18 offset on 35x12.50 Cooper ST Maxx, Amp research stepbars, JBA Long tube headers, custom mid pipes and TRD Replacement exhaust system by Dirty Deeds, TRD Black Chrome Tailpipes, Bullit liner spray in liner, S&B CAI, Katzkin leather with Degreez heated and cooling system, Husky floorliners, Coachbuilder roof rack with 13 Rigid pods and Switchpro switch, TRD skid plate, Pop-N-Lock, Auto Tailgate down mod, Rattletrap sound deadener in headliner and door panels. Kenwood DDX 9906XR headunit with full Tech 12 volts sound system and dash cam.
    Got it answered. Thanks!

3. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Yes it will

And if you sell it, please send $5 to everyone from the DD BAM group buy since you made us all spend so much money ;) damn you!!!!

You're an instant GB legend BTW. Always wondered what the leader of a GB gets for a deal? Same? Better? Free? Stickers? Tee shirt? @ramonortiz55 is the king of GB's and always wondered why he goes thru the trouble. To be nice is what I think. But I've been curious about kickbacks.
    PS I do not expect an answer. Maybe some day I'll have the balls to run a GB.
    I do my maple syrup sales and now tundras.com secret Santa . How much worse can it be hahahaha

TuFerLife[OP] and Mwray8909 like this.
  4. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:39 PM
    TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    LOL!!! If I paid everyone $5 from the group buy, i’d have no money left from the shocks. They did sell by the way though...

I’m happy to help on such a group buy. Everyone has been incredible through this process. Keith and his staff have been incredibly gracious and all the members on here have been kick ass. I’m just glad it’s not a dud!

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
  6. Aug 20, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    Pngwyn

Pngwyn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tundra
    I am in a similar boat. I have a 2012 tundra and someone in Craigslist is selling 2019 takeoffs for $40 with out the springs.

Will it work for me? Would it be better or as good as the bilstein 5100 kit from Amazon?

7. Aug 20, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Yes, and I doubt it.

8. Aug 20, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    Pngwyn

Pngwyn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tundra
    Thank you for the quick reply. I will just plan to snag the 5100's then. I am mostly commuting miles with some forest service roads. So, I believe the 5100's will work well.

9. Aug 20, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    zcarpenter92

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Don’t forget that you transplant your current stock springs onto the 5100 coil overs, not sure if any retailers sell springs for em with the fronts.

10. Aug 20, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    Pngwyn

Pngwyn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tundra
    Makes sense. What I was trying to imply in the question was that the ones on craigslist didn't include the springs, so I would have to be using the 2012 springs, so I wanted to make sure that would work. But sounds like the factory 2018 still aren't as good as the 5100's so, I just ordered 5100 for all four corners and have a mechanic that will put them on for $300.

I can't decide if I want to level or not. I would prefer the best ride, so my thought process is to not level or maybe split the difference on the 5100s

zcarpenter92[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 20, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    zcarpenter92

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    I was picking up what you’re putting down haha. There wasn’t any suspension geometry change from the 2nd to 3rd gen, so you would’ve been fine.

And everyone I’ve met has said the ride improved when going to 5100’s from stock, how much just depends on your definition.

WVI likes this.
  12. Aug 21, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    Pngwyn

Pngwyn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tundra
    Awesome that's good news on the geometry change, will make parts widely available and cheap for some time. I would go for the 6112's up-front but I am being cheap.

Products Discussed in

To Top