1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wife wants to visit San Diego - info and help needed

Discussion in 'California' started by IowaGuy, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Jan 29, 2023 at 5:09 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    My wife wants to visit San Diego sometime this year. She wants to see the zoo and possibly the gas lamp district, The Midway, Little Italy etc. We are debating flying in and using ride share everywhere or just driving ourselves. I prefer driving but this is why I am asking here. I suggested driving ourselves in and then taking ride share to all attractions.

Any opinions on driving in vs flying (We live in AZ)
    Are places safe? I am aware of the homeless problems there and I keep my situational awareness. I will feel naked not being able to CCW there.
    Any must see or eat places recommended.
    Where to stay, any recommendations that wont break the bank but are close to places.

bulldog93 likes this.
  2. Jan 29, 2023 at 5:14 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    When I travel I typically don’t carry. That said, we walk against walls, I make eye contact with all, and I watch people using windows. Last year, fam came to Seattle to visit me (work) and it paid off using these tactics for some fuck who I’m 99% was stalking us. SD has down great areas, and not so great (like anywhere u go) just keep your head on a swivel and you’ll be fine

ColoradoTJ and BlueRibbon4x4 like this.
  3. Jan 29, 2023 at 6:00 PM
    MedCityMoto

MedCityMoto SciTech Nerd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.5gen CM SR5 TRD OffRoad
    I visited from MN a year ago. I stayed right down the street from the Midway. Fiance and I were there for 3 days and had a good time.

It's really not dangerous in the daylight, not anymore than St Paul or Minneapolis up here, common sense is your thing. I'd suggest a cab everywhere, parking looked terrible, at least around that area.

I think our favorites were The Lions Share (wacky but good food) the Portside Pier restaurant next to the Midway, and the Sun Deck at Hotel del Coronado was pretty excellent for being beachside.

Wish we'd had more time, but I was there for a conference, didn't have a chance to hit the Zoo.

ATV25 and IowaGuy[OP] like this.
  4. Jan 29, 2023 at 6:22 PM
    alwzdfiant

alwzdfiant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crew Max
    Check out “Patriot” It’s a speed boat tour not far from The Midway. Hauls ass and you’ll probably get wet

drobb and BlueRibbon4x4 like this.
  5. Jan 29, 2023 at 6:24 PM
    BlueRibbon4x4

BlueRibbon4x4 Let’s color match it

Member:
    First Name:
    Geno
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon 4x4
    As @T-Rex266 said, keep your wits about ya and you’ll be fine. I suggest you fly and then rent a car if you have the means. You’ll be in crappy traffic, crappy roads, and dickhead drivers that know the area. The roads can be confusing, but if you wanna get stuff done, don’t ride share. Most of San Diego is safe, so you should be good. The main attraction for me in San Diego is the food. Do your research and get some reservations.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  6. Jan 29, 2023 at 6:24 PM
    BlueRibbon4x4

BlueRibbon4x4 Let’s color match it

Member:
    First Name:
    Geno
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon 4x4
    Also, stay away from gaslamp if there’s a game.

Sunnier likes this.
  7. Jan 29, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Coming from someone who lives here, I wouldn’t worry. I never do. That being said, I probably wouldn’t stay downtown or recommend anyone to stay downtown either. I’d also recommend driving in from AZ. It’s not that bad a drive; I do it pretty frequently. I guess hotels also are dictated by price. If you’re planning on coming during the summertime I’d strongly recommend looking at the empress hotel in La Jolla. It’s only a 3 star but clean and with AAA discount rates can be had for like $115/night. You’re near all the shops in La Jolla, plus the beach without the bro scene of all the other beach cities. I’d also recommend you check out the hotel Del Coronado on Coronado island and walk around there for half day or so. Very nice spot to grab a cocktail/ flatbread pizza and enjoy the views.

Not sure how old you are, but if you and the wife are looking to get a little crazy then I recommend heading to pb shore club on Wednesday night and participating in the goldfish races. Take a couple ice cubes from your drink and toss it in your goldfish cup right before the race to give ‘em a little shock and liven him up. Winner gets like a $100 bar tab for the night so make sure you zig-zag the bubbles to prevent the fish from backtracking. PM if you need more racing strategy deets.

have a great time and let us know what you’re interested in seeing. Plenty of us on this forum!

8. Jan 29, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Wife and I are both 55 yrs old. I am not as spry and quick as I used to be but we are both able to walk all day if needed. I enjoy craft beers which I understand SD is full of. We also love history and museums hence the Midway etc. We usually get up early and are everywhere at opening time to beat the crowds and are then in after dark unless there is an attraction or bar close to where we are staying. The wifes main goal is to see the zoo which is a full day by itself. I do have the full CAT protection on my Tundra.

dittothat and bulldog93 like this.
  9. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:09 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    This sounds both nuts and fun… I’m sure there’s a hell of a back story.

every time I’ve been to SD, it’s been a great time and never felt unsafe (last time was January 2020 right before “lock down”). Enjoyed the hell out of Midway, and Coronado is just chill to hang out and grab food/drinks at several spots. We’ve been to the zoo a couple times (last was ~2011) and the other adventure zoo park as well (a what it was called).

10. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:28 PM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    ok my friend Hotel Del Coronado/Coronado Island a must. Swadee Thai in Coronado legit. Sushi Deli 3 Armour Street legit. Hectors Mariscos Chula Vista on Broadway mexican seafood yup you guessed it legit. Tacos El Gordo Chula Vista awesome. If you want to grill your own carne asada Santa Fe Meats Chula Vista on Main. Plenty of good food in the gas lamp area little italy..try Hash house a gogo on 5th ave. If your up for a drive to El Cajon best bbq on SD County grand ole bbq. Note there is one in san diego too but I like the one in El Cajon better. Gaetanos or Filipis pizza. That should point you in the right direction.

11. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:43 PM
    bulldog93

bulldog93 Usually tired...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    Explore additional places in Balboa Park other than just the zoo.

Sunnier and dittothat like this.
  12. Jan 29, 2023 at 7:59 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Nice! If you like museums I’d definitely recommend heading to balboa park. Was there on Saturday for my birthday and went to the air and space museum which I highly recommend. Great museum. The auto museum is next do and pretty cool too. They also have a botanical garden which your wife will like and other museums. Tons of craft breweries, too. I’m a big fan of Pizza port beers so frequently grab a quick beer and slice. Multiple locations so shouldn’t be hard to find one. Obviously bigger breweries like ballast point and such.

Haha There are a couple bars around here that do it. Was a period in my late 20s when I’d travel to bars trying to win the goldfish races and score free bar tabs.. amazing to think how much free time I had
    Believe grand ole bbq in SD is now closed for renovations. At least was last time I drove by

13. Jan 29, 2023 at 8:57 PM
    Chuy!

Chuy! New Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4X4
    There is something here for everyone; it comes down to your likes/dislikes.

Downtown is mostly safe. Avoid the tents along the sidewalk, day and night. The Gaslamp District is safe but I would avoid it after 10p when the area starts to get congested with young rowdy partiers. There is really nothing of interest there except dining and overpriced tourist shops, and a handful of historic buildings.

Next to the zoo is Balboa Park. It has most of the museums in the county. I recommend the Museum of Man, Air/Space, Natural History, and catch a flick at the IMAX dome theater at the science center. The Mrs. likes the Japanese Gardens.
    https://www.sandiego.org/articles/balboa-park/museums.aspx
    https://www.fleetscience.org/shows

Barrio Logan is at the eastern foot of the Coronado Bridge. That has some good restaurants and breweries.

Old Town is another touristy but not-to-miss area to visit. Locals go there for dining and shopping.

These areas are all accessible via the Trolley. $6 per adult for an all-day pass.
    Blue line is US-Mexico border to La Jolla via Old Town
    Orange line goes east to Santee, also via Old Town
    Green line goes east to El Cajon - this is one to avoid except to the City College stop which is where you get off for Balboa Park. Also the zoo, but it is a further walk and ride-share would be better.
    https://www.sdmts.com/transit-services/trolley

Thus, for your first trip out here, there are many places to visit via the Trolley and ride-share.

I worked downtown, about half a mile from the Midway, 24 years, and resided almost all those years 20 minutes to the east, off the I-8, where I see AZ plated vehicles whizzing by westward, and eastward, almost every day. If you decide to drive, wave as you whiz past Los Coches exit. :p

aperezsh, bulldog93 and dittothat like this.
  14. Jan 31, 2023 at 5:06 PM
    aperezsh

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    LAAAAKKEEESYYYYDEEEEEE! I lived out there in 93-94 then again from 01-22! I worked out there from 99-09 I did love East County! Finally broke free Cal-Exit brother!

15. Jan 31, 2023 at 5:17 PM
    reywcms

reywcms New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Beaverton,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platnium
    Too many mods to come
    Tower 23 Jordan restaurant is a great dinner spot we frequent when we go back. @dittothat nailed all the spots I’d say and recommend. I’m from Temecula. If you’re driving in then definitely hit winery’s in Temecula.

dittothat likes this.
  16. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:34 PM
    Chuy!

Chuy! New Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4X4
    Not to Georgia, I wont do it. Was at FLETC five months for BP academy in 94. The gnats ate me alive. St. Simon was cool but Brunswick was hell for me.

aperezsh[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 1, 2023 at 8:59 AM
    Sergicalmaneuver

Sergicalmaneuver New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Crewmax
    Man, you hit a lot of the good spots. Good start for sure.

18. Feb 1, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    SAGE63

SAGE63 Wannabe Go Fast Overlander Small Rock Crawler

Member:
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Limited Crewmax TRD Offroad 4x4
    there is a good Brazilian steakhouse in the gaslamp Cado del rey bring a good appetite, a good tapas place (? name). lots of bars in gaslamp also. Balboa park is a whole day for museums etc. a full day at the zoo. historical Old Town decent mexican food and lots of places, some museums as well a half day or more. Coronado is nice also. Little Italy trolley stop area. several places right arround washington st trolley stop, Winchesters British pub, Bluewaters for fresh fish tacos etc.
    I have lived in the San Diego area since 1973. always changing...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    bulldog93 and dittothat like this.
  19. Feb 1, 2023 at 9:45 AM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
  20. Feb 1, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I've never been to SD but I'd like to. I hear the flyfishing for mako sharks is awesome.

Sunnier likes this.
  21. Feb 1, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Us grant is a great hotel. Can be had for a good rate too. Put my parents up there a few time.

OP, if you come during the summertime bring your trunks and give surfing a whirl. Just rent a board (larger and more volume the better.. especially in summer) and paddle out. Ask some locals how to surf when you’re sitting out there on the board. Will get better pointers that way than a surf lesson. Might question yourself a couple times why you paid money to drown, but if you catch a wave you’ll understand why it’s worth it.

22. Feb 1, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    SAGE63

SAGE63 Wannabe Go Fast Overlander Small Rock Crawler

Member:
    San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Limited Crewmax TRD Offroad 4x4
    If staying in Downtown the area south of Broadway between 5th and 4th, the old Horton Plaza, is under construction. it is part of the Gaslamp Area. if you are into martime museums there is the Star of India not far from the Midway

bulldog93 and dittothat like this.
  23. Feb 1, 2023 at 5:43 PM
    aperezsh

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    Son just graduated BP academy he's assigned to Falfurrias Texas. I retired from SDSD in 14. I worked patrol/COPPS/GST in Lakeside. I wish you well brother!

Chuy![QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Feb 1, 2023 at 7:17 PM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Pizza Port! Man I miss that place. We used to live walking distance to the one in Solana Beach. Weekly staple. Feels like eons ago.

bulldog93 and dittothat[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Feb 1, 2023 at 10:48 PM
    grave

grave New Member

Member:
    SD CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.7 SR5 4X4
    only go to coronado if you have tons of time and money to waste. it's cool but it takes up a whole day and the hotel del is incredible but is never cheap. not even in the maid's quarters with the 6' ceilings.

don't spend too much time at the zoo. it's just a zoo. your time would be better spent doing everything else at balboa park. fleet science museum, model railroad museum, museum of photographic arts, NHM, the botanical building & lily pond, the organ pavilion... so much more. balboa park rules.

for breweries, head to lost abbey or get out of the downtown area. north park & south park have good spots. so many in north park and south park. avoid ballast point and stone (fuckin' sellouts)

if you visit the midway, find my guy Rory the caricaturist under the red ez-up right behind the ship. He's done three portraits for our family and he's really great. he'll do a quick B&W, watercolor, pastel, airbrush, you name it.

There are deals to be found at the Omni in downtown. Go during baseball season and you can walk across the bridge that connects the hotel to Petco Park.

looking for a fancy dinner to treat yoselves? bertrand at mister A's.

don't worry about not having your second cock, i mean gun. you'll get by.

26. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:08 PM
    Chuy!

Chuy! New Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4X4
    Thanks. I wish you and your son well also. He will see lots of action down there.

aperezsh[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Feb 2, 2023 at 4:21 AM
    Jim the Jarhead

Jim the Jarhead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4X4
    Motivational idea! Go watch some Marines graduate boot camp at MCRD on a Friday.

aperezsh likes this.
  28. Feb 25, 2023 at 10:55 AM
    kaymonster

kaymonster Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum
    3.5" lift, 35/12.5 Nitto Recon Grappler
    All those places you mention are within a 5-10 min drive of each other. All are fine WRT safety and the homeless. Parking shouldn't be too bad on all and is free at the zoo.

29. Feb 25, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    kaymonster

kaymonster Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum
    3.5" lift, 35/12.5 Nitto Recon Grappler
    Good advice, but I gotta say the zoo is prob one of the best zoos...worth some time if you're into it. Hear ya on ballast ...but the beer is still good!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    bulldog93, IowaGuy[OP] and des2mtn like this.
  30. Jun 2, 2023 at 2:10 PM
    SD Surfer

SD Surfer Globe Trotting Bon Vivant

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM CM SR5 TRD OR 4X4 5.7
    Rental, schmental! You wanna try surfing OP, just hit me up. I think we can find something that'll work for ya'.

20200726_185106.jpg

I recommend you don't try surfing though... It'll ruin your life!! In the best way possible.

DSC_4176.jpg
    07.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

I've lived in San Diego my whole life, and I gotta' go try some of the restaurants you guys listed!

You'll be safe in any of the areas that you'd have any reason to go to.

We have family in Goodyear, and I'm always torn on whether to fly or drive. Drive is an easy one, just takes way longer but it's nice to have a car. Flight is SO quick, but then you have airport pickup/dropoff, TSA lines... kind of a tossup.

Miguel's Cocina is on the waterfront within sight of the Midway... get a table outside on the water and start with the cheesedip.:dancingbacon::headbang:

Products Discussed in

To Top