1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why would anyone buy a soft trifold tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Jeepin48, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Mar 4, 2023 at 7:33 AM
    Jeepin48

Jeepin48 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    As titled please explain.

Trifolds are pain in the butt to get off, they never totally get out of the way, at best the take up 1/3 of your bed, most of them fold up totally covering the rear window, and soft trifolds are not very secure.

If I am missing something please let me know what the benefits are.

My rant stems from so many used ones flooding the marketplace.

2. Mar 4, 2023 at 7:39 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I'm happy with my bakflip. I haven't really heard of people being unhappy with their bed covers, no matter what, you are going to loose some of your space, but its not earth shattering. If you need 100% of your bed space just dont put a cover on.

RCwyoming likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2023 at 8:59 AM
    Chad D.

Chad D. New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    Cost.

We all have our own values, and this is an acceptable offering for a lot of folks.

Other than not being your first choice, is there a reason why they should be stricken from the market?

KB Voodoo and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  4. Mar 4, 2023 at 10:23 AM
    Garrett77

Garrett77 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 4x4 XP Predator
    I used one on my old tundra and plan on getting another for the new one possibly. I used it so when I went windsurfing I could lock up gear I wasn't using when I was out on the water. Also, I could leave all of the gear except the board in there during the windy season.

Of course it would be easy to slit the cover and take stuff, it's just a deterrent. You don't want to leave the truck parked in a bad neighborhood in the wee hours of the morning.

For me it's very easy to remove and re-install. Takes maybe 5 minutes, and they're way cheaper than a hard cover.

Only thing I don't like is the flapping around at highway speeds.

5. Mar 8, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    I have a simple hard folder that only folds back to 1/3rd without the ability to lean up against the cab. I used to have a Bakflip that leaned against the cab and gave me most of the bed but the prop rods that held it up and other bits and pieces fell apart over the years. This time around I chose to give up trick features for simplicity, less maintenance and fewer soft or moving parts disintegrating over time. I needed something on my family road trips so if we hit a rest stop I could sip coffee without a worry that someone could get into my bed with a simple pocket knife or by peeling velcro. At the same time I can unfold and leave in the 1/3rd position to get most bed space or remove without help to get all of it. If it were a soft cover it would seem to have made more sense for me to get it as a roll-up as with it being soft it's flexible enough that you can get it totally out of your way. So there's no need for me to put up with it being folded against the cab eliminating rearward visibility.

But then many years ago on my 04 Dakota I had a soft roll up that fastened with Velcro and it required constant retightening to stay taut. I think it even supposedly had some sort of tensioning system that was supposed to prevent that. I don't know if anybody has come up with something that maintains tension better but if they all were still like that and I wanted an easily removable soft cover that didn't require fighting the cold to stretch the fabric I might be inclined to go with a soft folder just for that reason. Soft folders usually have simple clamps that do not require you to go around the thing repeatedly fussing with a velcro strip. You clamp and then it doesn't ever change tightness.

But If it were just me and my wife I'd likely tint the rear windows down to about 5% and put our luggage in the rear seat area and have a bare bones soft cover on the bed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  6. Mar 8, 2023 at 7:52 AM
    Cruzer

Cruzer Wheeling Full Size

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page: Cruzer's Re-Build for the Rubicon
    I hated my trifold. It would always get out of alignment when I would go wheeling. Also, there weren't many good options to put a rack on and if you did you couldn't really open the cover.

I changed to a manual roll up cover. Never goes out of whack when I wheel. I never have to remove it since it's out of the way when it's fully rolled up. It also works well with my rack - I can get to the very back without having to army crawl.

7. Mar 8, 2023 at 7:56 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    I’d say the top reasons are they’re cheap, go on/off in 5 minutes, lightweight, and easy to store. I keep one around for if I have to take my cap off for something I can just throw that on and have a dry bed until I put the cap back on.

I’ve also had hard Trifolds which are nice for a more permanent solution but have basically none of the advantages I just listed of the soft trifold.

8. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:15 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    I would never get a soft cover of any variety, but I imagine, cost and possibly weight savings would be the main draws. As far as security, it would be minimal at best. Of course I am pretty bias with my Diamondback, which is amazing in every way.

9. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:14 AM
    vilord

vilord New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    I have a hard tri fold cover that i like. the "get out of alignment when I would go wheeling" comment rings true to me, even if i'm just parked on uneven ground so diagonally opposite tires are lifted, with a heavy load in the bed and a trailer, i found that i couldn't properly close and latch the cover, had to move onto flat. i imagine if i went wheeling like that it might break off some of the mounts just from the small amount of bed twist.

10. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:19 AM
    Joro43

Joro43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 quicksand crewmax
    1st tundra nautical blue 4x4 5.7l DC TRD had oracle custom color shift halo projector headlights, Fab4 bumper with 12k winch. RBP RX3 Grill Pro Comp stage 1 with bilstein 6112 coil overs SPC UCAs BFG KM3 35x12.5x20 with Moto metal 959s NFab running boards TRD LED DRL pioneer avh 4200nex with Polk speakers and JL 600w amp with JL audio stealth box 196k miles and running strong ready for another 200k until I wrecked it on 2/26/21 Just bought 2018 CM 4x4 5.7l quicksand TRD package upgraded headlights and adaptive CC Trifold bed cover, blacked out badges, KMC wheels BFG KO2 tires, 3/1 pro Comp lift FAB4 front bumper with rigid lights and fab4rear bumper.
    Hard tri fold by extang 2.0. I like mine. Easy to remove if hauling something where I need full bed space. Most of the time it’s on and I let my tailgate down for the extra space. It’s relatively water proof. Can shift slightly it’s up and not down/locked in when off roading

11. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:48 AM
    reywcms

reywcms New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Beaverton,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platnium
    Too many mods to come
    Love my hard trifold but I don’t wheel.

Joro43 likes this.
  12. Mar 8, 2023 at 11:55 AM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    Head unit, sub's , components, front / back camera's, too many lights to mention, dual battery, winch / bumper, TRS projector headlights, roof nest hard-shell, integrated backup spot lights, vault, all aluminum radiator / water pump, tailgate storage, plenty of dents and scratches
    I got the best of both worlds! I really do love this thing, if someone is determined enough to break into your canopy, unless it's solid metal you're gonna loose, and instead of broken glass to pay out the a$$ for i get WAAAYYY cheaper replacement fabric!

https://softopper.com/products/softopper-so-fl96o/

[​IMG]

13. Mar 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    I do love the old school military look of that on white.

Julikins53 likes this.
  14. Mar 15, 2023 at 8:10 PM
    Julikins53

Julikins53 New Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red CrewMax Limited
    Remote start
    I just had my hard Century tonneau cover removed and stored. I’m trying to make up my mind about a Line-X roll up or a trifold. Didn’t know they would get wonky, but that makes sense. I like the look of your soft one. I wasn’t aware of this option. I don’t want to spend the $$$ for a Barcelona Red camper shell but I would love one. I’ve never liked the look of a trifold either, but I need something. I’m 70 and the Century top just got too hard to operate. You are so right about someone breaking in. That’s why I never lock my convertible when the top is up. Nothing to take anyway. I’m interested to know if anyone else has this soft top. Thanks for reading.

15. Mar 20, 2023 at 11:38 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Have been paying more attention to soft roll up covers thinking about this thread and probably 50% of the ones I walk by don't look as taut as they could be, with visible ripples near the bed rails running cab to tailgage. Probably from that velcro on the sides loosening over time if not checked and re tightened.

Would drive me nuts if I owned one, probably the reason I'd do a soft folder if I was still doing soft covers. I distinctly remember having to periodically pull out and press down on the velcro strips on the Extang roll up I used to have on my 04 Dakota.

16. Mar 20, 2023 at 11:43 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I had a cheap tri-fold and it served its purpose for many years. Not ideal but at like $200 it was a good buy for me at the time. I have since moved to a Softopper and its far superior in every way.

17. Mar 20, 2023 at 12:48 PM
    vilord

vilord New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    I borrowed a friend's truck years ago with a normal roll up soft tonneau and it made noise and flapped in the middle a bit on the highway, and in the winter it was really hard to get the corners on, so i guess that's an advantage of the trifold soft ones is you don't have to worry about stretching it over the corners in the cold... and yes cheap!

Products Discussed in

To Top