1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why no roll cages?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Atomic City Tundra, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Oct 2, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra [OP] Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    So I have seen quite a few more serious off-road builds on this site and others for the Tundra. I think I remember only seeing 1 person actually put a roll cage in their Tundra. Why don't more people do it? That was one of the first things I always considered when building a wheeling rig. I can think of a few reasons:

1. Payload on these trucks is already low and adding the weight of a roll cage isn't helping that.
    2. Putting a cage inside of a truck is hard - especially if you can't take the top off of said truck.
    3. Cages reduce inside space and get in the way.
    4. Some people claim that you just need to be a "good driver". While there is some definite truth to this statement, stuff always happens - even to experienced off-roaders.

Especially after seeing the amount of money some spend on their builds in the mod money spent thread - I am just curious why I haven't seen more of these installed. They aren't that expensive (relatively speaking) for the piece of mind provided. I also don't see a lot of harness installations in some of these higher-priced builds.

Thoughts/Comments?

2. Oct 2, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    If I had a dedicated rock crawler that I used for extreme terrain I'd do it. But considering it's my DD, it doesn't make sense.

Black Wolf and TXMiamiFan like this.
  3. Oct 2, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:

Sure - I understand that. I'm talking about the more "extreme" builds that aren't DDs.

4. Oct 2, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    @Spvrtan @papasmurf

papasmurf likes this.
  5. Oct 2, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    There is a lot that goes with a cage. You can be the cool guy who drives the street with a cage. Most of the time they are more deadly/dangerous on the streets. Anytime you get into a caged vehicle you would want to wear a helmet. If not a dd then now you are talking a bigger truck that is capable of pulling a dual axle flat trailer with your cages tundra on it to wherever it is you plan to go.

Proper cages need certification depending where you compete.
    Any time piloting a cage you should wear a brain bucket.
    Full 5-6 point harness
    Oxygen tanks
    Also most real race cages are made into the doors. So that means. No windows and climbing in and out of the window net.

For the most part, I think a roll bar is good enough for the average Joe. That would be main hoop at b-pillars with harness mounts, and down to the c pillars.

equin, Black Wolf, Darkness and 4 others like this.
  6. Oct 2, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    What are the oxygen tanks for? If you roll upside down into water or something?

dcsleeper408[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 2, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Helps get driver/co-driver air as they run close vented to keep dust out. Also helps with driver fatigue and keeps em cool.

8. Oct 2, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Main thing these trucks are too damn big to do serious crazy rock crawling, ie that type of stuff where you will roll your rig until you figure out what you are doing.

equin and Thegr8punkin like this.
  9. Oct 2, 2018 at 8:45 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I have always wondered the same.

Does anyone on this site actually compete? Maybe one or two, and then a cage would be required.

Now that being said, why wouldn’t a sportsman not want this protection?

Do rollovers only happen during rock crawling?

Do rollovers happen at speed, and is the damage significantly more?

These are the questions I would be asking myself. From someone that has rolled or seen no less than 25 roll overs and I’m not even sure on how many flops (you go on your side, that’s not a roll), the dumb look on people’s faces is pure awesomeness. The surprised look “I can’t believe this is happening to me!”

Ostrich, Black Wolf, Darkness and 6 others like this.
  10. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  11. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    There are a lot of negatives to running a cage. The biggest negative is comfort. The cab is loud, the space is restricted, you have to wear a 5 point and helmet, and its a pita to get in and out of the truck.

Your brain is your most important safety device. Instead of running a cage, I choose to drive safely and within my limits and the trucks limits.

12. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Rock crawlers can roll and rollovers can happen at speed. But you can also choose how much you want to push the limit. For example, when I ride my mountain bike, there are some trails that I wear a full face helmet and pads. There are other trails where I wear a half helmet and no pads.

I don't drive my truck in a manner where I feel a cage is warranted

equin, joonbug, Sas and 1 other person like this.
  13. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Here is a picture of good friends Jeep that had two very hard rolls in a couple days. This is a Jimmy’s 4x4 built cage and it didn’t move a 1/8” with these rolls. He has twisted stitch seats and 5 point harnesses and he was hurting after these rolls. He couldn’t imagine the force of impact at speed.

9D651642-2ED9-4BA7-8E15-E61315D4A027.jpg

This one was a super hard hit. Probably a 15’ drop from an end over.
    17891B52-B3A0-4567-97D1-72BA360BD805.jpg

14. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That’s were you and I differ Alex. Nobody sets out in the morning “I’m going to roll my shit today” and you have no control over other drivers.

These are called accidents for a reason.

I don’t have 5 point harnesses in my Jeep right now (3 point) with factory seats. This winter the shoulder harnesses are going in, with factory seats.

15. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:27 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Well you'll also never catch me on those trails you posted where the jeeps roll.

Do you have a cage in your daily driver? I feel safer on the trail than I do on the freeway, I'll tell you what

16. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:

I agree with that completely. But I have seen pictures/videos of people doing some rock crawling with them. And some on this site are staunch defenders of the fact that Tundras can go on "Jeep only" type trails.

I figured that you would have experience with this. I have only been in a vehicle once with a rollover. It had a cage and we were harnessed in (I wasn't driving). It was a slow speed event and we weren't doing anything that was viewed as extremely crazy by most. I am still not sure what happened, some blamed the spotter, some blamed the driver. But the fact is that we both walked away with no harm and there was really only cosmetic damage to the vehicle.

I have seen several rollovers while out on the trails. None of them were at high speed. The caged instances were always better outcomes.

I agree 100%. While I don't work in the auto industry, my background is a mechanical engineer and a big part of my work for the past ~20 years has been in high speed impacts for air carried weapons and penetration events. There is a ton to think about when trying to design a system for a highly dynamic event. So building a crawler type cage vs a cage for a vehicle that actually sees some speed would produce very different designs in my mind. I think it would be significantly harder to design a cage for high speed scenarios. Definitely interesting to think about.

Yeah, but shit can still happen. As I hinted at above, for your case, I think it would be harder to design an appropriate cage, since you do more higher speed stuff than the typical "crawler" rig.

Good discussion points. I was just thinking about it the other day and thought it would be a good thing to kick around and see what y'all thought. Thanks for the input so far.

Sunnier likes this.
  17. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh your truck wouldn’t fit on those trails. You might get into the entrance and need a helicopter to get you out. Lol.

However, when I see you blasting through 3’ whoops at 70 mph, you don’t think there’s a really good chance for an “oops”?

I agree, driving on the public streets are scary. I kinda want a tank.

18. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Good point. I have often wondered why there isn't more race car safety design ideas that spill over into everday vehicles. Well, I know why - it would be cost prohibitive. But, you can have drivers of NASCAR vehicles walk away from extremely high speed crashes because of the safety they build into those cars. Why not try and model some of that into every day vehicles? Again - money....but it is a nice thought.

equin likes this.
  19. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    No not at all. I can feel how the truck is behaving and I know where the limits are to where I might have to worry about a rollover. Maybe other drivers out there should have a cage and I'm not saying I'm the best driver in the world. But I am saying that I feel safe driving without a cage because I trust myself. If that makes sense..

Well its more than just money. Its also comfort and lets be honest, aesthetics.

15whtrd and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Oct 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Look the bottom line is that if you're going to push your truck, then hell yeah you need a cage. But you better be prepared for the discomfort. Every one I have ever met with a cage says they suck.

equin and ColoradoTJ like this.
  21. Oct 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    Im still trying fit my full cage on my dedicated rock crawler!!! The Ali P go fast mobile
    my tundy is only mall certified does have the obligatory chrome bull nuts though!

Unknown.jpg

22. Oct 2, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    Spvrtan

Spvrtan Amateur fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black '14 CM SR5 w/ SC; 40s on 17s; 5.29s
    equin, Sunnier and papasmurf like this.
  23. Oct 2, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Who the hll wants to wait a whole year for LSK to get you in for a cage

papasmurf likes this.
  24. Oct 2, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    Spvrtan

Spvrtan Amateur fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black '14 CM SR5 w/ SC; 40s on 17s; 5.29s
    Rich people with too much money and time to spend on vacations while waiting.

25. Oct 2, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    LOL why you draggin me into this shit.. oh wait LOL

why no cage.... umm here are some of my reasons

1. not a race truck
    2. at the speeds i go the unibody on frame is safe enough
    3. even in a roll over crash with cage large ammounts of damage will occur, cage doesnt prevent that
    4. not a race truck
    5. cost
    6. weight
    7. still not a race truck
    8. i dont put my self into compromising situations like dune jumping
    9. They are uncomfortable
    10. i dont want to have to drive with a helmet on all the time
    11. yup still not a race truck
    12. i like my stock power seats
    13. its not a rock crawler
    14. restriction in interior space
    15. you have to wear a 5 point
    16. Annoying climing in and out over a cage ( i know i had one in my old race car)
    17. STILL NOT A RACE TRUCK

that is a very nice interior and cage they did

26. Oct 2, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    FWIW, I've considered internal roll hoops at the B and C pillar that triangulate to each other (simple 4 point cage). But I don't want a full cage that necessitates a helmet (6 or more point cage). The hoops would be far enough from passengers heads that we could still daily without a helmet (we don't have back seats anymore so passenger heads are not a consideration). I'm just thinking of something that will support some of the weight of the truck in the case it ends up on its lid. Have you seen a Tundra after even a slow speed rollover?

I don't drive near as cautiously as Alex, so I'd like a little insurance inside, without everything that goes along with a full blown interior roll cage. I've seen perfectly good drivers have perfectly bad accidents, and know myself - I'll push too far one day and don't want to regret it.

27. Oct 2, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    you're wrong

Sunnier and KevinK[QUOTED] like this.
  28. Oct 2, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    you and Bruce both scare the sht outta me. I'm not riding with you guys anymore

29. Oct 2, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    [​IMG]

30. Oct 2, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    EF388298-F3FA-45BF-8435-D013DE0C4E49.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top