1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do I always get scratches after cleaning??

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by OTX, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Apr 4, 2021 at 5:25 AM
    OTX

OTX [OP] 2018 Tundra SR5 Off-road Crewmax 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    North Chicago, Illinois
    Happy Sunday fellas,

I really need some advice from the pros here. Every time I wash my black Tundra I seem to put scratches and swirl
    marks.

Many times I use the chemical brothers waterless car wash. I spray it on and then wipe it off with a microfiber cloth and then go over it again with another microfiber cloth to make sure it’s all off. I have done some reading here and thought I had learned a lot but it seems like it it’s enough :).

Once a month, I use Griots soap and then rinse it with water and then dry it and clean it with microfiber clothes.

What if I used the soap and rinse it off and then used a leaf blower to dry it?. That way nothing touches the paint. Or how about touchless car washes??. Any advice would be appreciated!. It hurts every time I see new scratches that I put on there.

2. Apr 4, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    Our trucks have some of the softest clear I’ve encountered. Some new hondas are on par. I don’t have a good answer for preventing theos scratches as it sounds like you’ve got a good system. The good news is that the same softness the allows it to scratch also makes it very easy to correct. If you’re into that sort of thing.

Rocko9999 likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    The key could be your waterless wash process. I've not washed a vehicle that way, mainly because I do have the courage to try it. At the end of my post, I have a link to a video by Mike Phillips and Yancy Martinez on how to properly do a waterless wash. My normal wash process involves using multiple mitts and one bucket, keeping dirty mitts from re-introducing particles that could cause marring. As Jbehredt said, this is some very soft clear on these trucks. Your drying towels could also be the issue. I use the Griots PFM towels, and have not had an issue with them.

What type of protection is on your truck?

link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DWM5swzP44

TelemarkTumalo and sask3m like this.
  4. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:07 PM
    Freeezen

Freeezen New Member

Member:

When doing a waterless wash you have to fold your microfiber into squares and rotate them every couple of wipes and use lots of towels. When you dry your car after a regular wash use a drying aid (just about any spray wax or sealant) as you are drying your truck.

5. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:35 PM
    DennisEllis

DennisEllis New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr Ellis
    It’s your towel

6. Apr 16, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Just do the 2 bucket wash, wax, compound, and polish it. That should get the swirls out. Get a good machine to do it so you can adjust the pressure needed

ToyoMafia likes this.
  7. Apr 16, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Waterless wash can cause issues.

Make sure your towels and wash mitts are clean, super soft, microfiber. Do not use a brush to wash the truck.

t4r2tundra likes this.
  8. Apr 16, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    Wahayes

Wahayes Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
  9. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    I have a black tundra and I use one bucket and 5 microfibre mitts to wash, Griots drying towels for drying. So far so good.

I do plan on doing a ceramic coating this summer to help with the Tundra's micro marring. Thinking about using Apex Details ceramic metal oxide coating. Sounds user friendly and based off Art de shine so should be high quality.

10. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    I'm not a detailing guru, but it would make sense to me to correct the existing swirls/microscratches, etc., then have a high quality ceramic coating professionally applied. The ceramic coating is clear, allowing the beauty to shine forth, but it is much harder than the clearcoat, and therefore much more resistant to scratches and swirls.

11. May 1, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    t4r2tundra

t4r2tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum 4x4 - Smoked Mesquite
    See sig for mods...
    I would consider myself an "amateur professional detailer" which basically took a few years for my wife to promote me after seeing much of my work from home PDR, paint correction, home PPF, etc. lol. It's my passion though so I have swirl lights, dual action polishers, paint thickness gauges (just to prove I'm a nut).

It's your waterless wash (I have used it myself BTW when I first started in 2005 before I knew about detailing). 2 years and many washes later, I hardly have swirls on my new off the lot 2019. I have mesquite bronze (but it's still dark). This is my process, actually makes it quicker to wash in my case
    1) Foamgun truck
    2) Powerwash off soap
    3) Foamgun truck again
    4) Wash each panel with new microfiber in soap solution, folded twice into square = 4 "clean" sides per panel (i.e. door, fender, trunk). Start top to bottom.
    5) Powerwash off soap
    6) Leaf blower
    7) 3 supersoft drying towels, folded twice into square = 24 "clean" sides to dry. Dry windows last. Windows and mirrors don't scratch so don't waste a dry towel on them until the end.

TheBeast, ToyoMafia and War Machine like this.
  12. May 2, 2021 at 2:51 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    "Waterless wash" is a marketing oxymoron.

Road dirt has a lot of silica sand or quartz particles. Wipe dirt on clear coat to remove it, and it "cuts" or scratches the surface (think of a diamond on glass).

When "washing" a vehicle, lubrication is essential to minimize the scratching. Keep the area where you're cleaning flooded with soap and water. The more lubricant you have where you are moving the dirt, the less scratching will be done. You will get scratching if you're applying lubricant sparingly with a spray bottle.

TheBeast and Trooper2 like this.
  13. May 3, 2021 at 5:57 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Great process. I’ve always wanted to work on that color.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  14. May 3, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    For this reason I don't like using this wash method on anything more than light dirt and dust.

15. May 3, 2021 at 7:46 PM
    t4r2tundra

t4r2tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum 4x4 - Smoked Mesquite
    See sig for mods...
    Thanks! I still have my 2005 black 350z that I've owned since new and it was a pain to keep clean (she's a garage queen now) but when it's clean, it shines like no other. So when it was time to get a truck, I said I wouldn't get black again and this is a nice compromise. In some lights it looks copper but in the evening it looks black.

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. May 3, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    This!^^^^^^^^^

Products Discussed in

To Top