1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has installed Method Mesh wheels. Wheel manufacturer says I don’t need Hub centric rings? help!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ameekone, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Dec 27, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    ameekone

ameekone [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    i have a 2017 TRD PRO that I recently put coach builders +3 TRD PRO kit on. When my mechanic went to install the new tires and wheels I bought (Method Mesh 18x9 wheels with 295/70/18 Notto Ridge Grapplers) he called me up and asked where the hub centric rings were as their is about a 1/4” gap between the center bore of the wheel and the hub on the truck. I called Discount Tire who I bought the wheels and tires from and they said that those wheels are lug centric and therefore do not require the hub rings because the lugs will align the wheel. I also called the manufacturer of the wheel and they said the same thing. I also asked them if they make the hub rings for me to use anyway and they said no, not to mention the center caps install from the inside of the wheel out and so wouldn’t allow the hub ring. My Mechanic says they are both wrong. He said that they are wrong because the hub provides lateral support and any other purpindicular support for the wheels and that without a snug fit to the hub the entire weight of the vehicle is now being supported by the lug nuts which is not how the manufacturer designed the truck. He said that it is dangerous to have the lugs without the hub supporting the wheels as lugs could bend or break. You can clearly see that the stock TRD pro wheel is a snug fit to the hub and the aftermarket one is not. I assume the aftermarket wheel manufacturers do this so that they can sell one wheel for many vehicle applications. What my mechanic is telling me seems logical does it not? How have you others with method mesh wheels dealt with this?

2. Dec 27, 2018 at 7:37 PM
    flying dave

flying dave New Member

Member:
    NC
    You are taking the opinion of your mechanic over the manufacturer? I may be wrong here but I would go with another mechanic.

Marty McFly, Guhner123 and cheehab like this.
  3. Dec 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    Guhner123

Guhner123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gunner
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 MGM
    Toytec/Eibach 3/1 lift kit 295/70/18 TOYO AT 18 Inch Method NVs
    As stated above, most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric expect a few like @SCSPerformance . As long as they are lug centric you will be fine. I would find a new mechanic or have a local discount tire do the install.

Marty McFly likes this.
  4. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:10 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    My Method Mesh 18x9 with 295/70R18 NRG, ET lugs (bottom, 2nd from left), no hub rings. Recently installed black bolt kit replacing the SS beads.

799FFD48-48F0-4CEE-8DF0-1B19ABE1B6DA.jpg

4CA46220-5747-4870-AEFD-A0E85DB7D9F9.jpg

Marty McFly likes this.
  5. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    ameekone

ameekone [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    The manufacturer being the aftermarket wheel maker told me that they are lug centric wheels so don’t need the hub rings. I just have a hard time trusting the person who sold me the product. I should have also mentioned, The Toyota dealership said that I need wheels that the bore matches the hub without space so they too agreed with the mechanic. But Of course Toyota is not going to recommend doing anything aftermarket to the truck which is why I am reaching out here to get other opinions and advice.

6. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:17 PM
    ameekone

ameekone [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    And so since the are lug centric I understand that they will be balanced but is it not a concern that all of the lateral weight of the truck and force when off-roading will now solely be on the lugs and not the hub? Is this not a concern I should have?

And I know most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric but they typically come with a hub ring that fills the gap between the hub and the bore of the wheel. All aftermarket wheels I have purchased have come this way which is why I was surprised these did not

7. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    Can I see side pics of the whole truck and how much does it stick out past the fenders :popcorn:

@ameekone I agree that most after market rims come with the rings, but from what I heard, it’s only 6mm difference and it’s not going to be a problem. I’d trust that the manufacturer is correct or their would be a lot of unhappy people.

Black Wolf likes this.
  8. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    94slowbra

94slowbra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    new orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD pro
    Many guys are running method wheels, myself included, with no issues. Would I like them to be hub centric, yes. Do I think it's ok for them to be lug centric, yes. Lots of folks beat the shit out of their method wheels are doing fine.
    You need to do what you feel comfortable with but I believe your fine with the method wheels and an et lug

9. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    flying dave

flying dave New Member

Member:
    NC
    Gotcha.:thumbsup:

10. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:55 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    +18 offset, sorry I don’t have proper straight down the side views, just these angle shots, before flares:

A42E0145-9F08-4733-901F-CD413B37E31D.jpg

After Bushwackers installed:

60C24B4F-527B-427B-B871-3962B00A7D0F.jpg

11. Dec 28, 2018 at 4:03 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM