1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has 3in lift, stock UCAs, and proper alignment?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MistrRoboto, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nov 1, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto [OP] '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey fellas,

I'm serious this time - don't come in here talking about wanting to lift your truck and letting me get side tracked on the different options... lol. If you don't fit the subject line, just observe.

Plain and simple - who has 3 inches of front lift, stock UCAs, and was able to get in proper alignment?

Down to the final stages of selecting a suspension and I just can't get this to sit right in my head. I love everything about the new Toytec/Bilstein non-adjustable coil with shackles in the back, except for the fear of then needing UCAs. I keep hearing its possible - but can't seem to find many real examples of this unicorn in the wild.

Thanks!
    Jim

A-A-Ron likes this.
  2. Nov 1, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    As you know from the toytec thread I just installed the coilovers you are looking at.

Before these I had a spacer on top of my stock coilovers to give the truck 3" of lift in the front. I had stock UCA's at this time. The truck was lifted 3 inches in the front with stock UCA's. It drove ok, but just ok. Before a road trip in August I brought it in for an alignment, tire balance, and tire rotation. I had a very small vibration in the front end that ended up being a missing wheel weight. At that time they could only get me 0.5 caster, he said trying to go anymore would mess with my camber numbers. Was it in spec? Sure, barely. Did I like how it drove? Not at all. This is a shop that I trust and a tech that I personally trust. The truck had a tendency to bump steer at highway speed, any imperfection in the road would have a noticeable affect on the steering wheel. The wheel wasn't twitchy, but it also wasn't confidence inspiring, and had very vague feedback.

Flash forward to now. Same height on the front end, just coilovers now instead of the spacers. But I also installed JBA UCA's at this time. Truck just got aligned yesterday. I am at 3.3 degrees caster now, with no sacrifice to my camber numbers at all. My tech said he could have gotten me another .3 degrees caster to drop .1 camber, but I was happy with how it drove and I was happy with the numbers.

Initial drive, 48 miles since yesterday. Wheel returns to center with more force, better road feedback, no bump steer. Steering wheel has a nice firm feel at speed, it wants to stay in a straight line now.

If I went to coilovers without swapping my UCA's I would have still been at my original alignment numbers of 0.5 caster. The UCA's are the only factor in gaining almost 3 degrees of caster.

I was honestly going to just do UCA's to fix my handling and get to the coilovers some other time. But my stock equipment had 70k on it and I figured it was a good time to just do it all.

Help, Law323, TheBeast and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 1, 2017 at 1:31 PM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto [OP] '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks @OBXTundra. Your experience matches what I felt on my FJ Cruiser. Lifted 3 inches in the front, stock UCA, and while it got close to spec - it wandered on the road until the day I sold it.

F. My grand plan of putting the parts on my Christmas list, none of which individually cost over $500, is falling apart lol. I'll never get, coils, shackles, rear shocks, diff drop, AND, UCAs :)

-Jim

OBXTundra likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    kstateskier

kstateskier New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tunda 1794 - Dark Metallic Grey
    I feel compelled to respond. Because I've had a 3" lift with stock UCA's and achieved good alignment but not the most ideal measurements. That being said, the alignment tech said it was incredibly hard. So I went ahead and upgraded to UCA's that offered greater flexibility to get the alignment numbers where i wanted them for the best tire wear and handling.

Some trucks seems to be align-able with 3" and some don't. Its kind of a crapshoot. Your best bet with 3" + is to go ahead and do the UCA's to avoid any real issues. These trucks can be real finicky with regards to alignment and tire wear so you want to get the best alignment numbers you can achieve.

If you don't know those numbers I'd recommend checking out "SOCAL's Tundra alignment reqs" which you should be able to find in a google search.

OBXTundra likes this.
  5. Nov 1, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Nope. 3" up front for over a year and still can never get it perfect.

Getting uca's January! Betting it's gonna make a world of difference!

6. Nov 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    I have a 3" liftup front and stock UCAs. I also have bags on the rear, and changed up the rear shocks to Ikons. Wheels are 35's (MT's Deegan 38).
    The tires may help more than I realize, but it's a super smooth/quiet ride. Been on for about 10k mi and never had any alignment/steering issues. At 80 on the highway, rides straight as an arrow. (Knocking wood!)

Eventually, I may do coil overs. I know ToyTecs are great and really popular. I was really close to getting the Ikons when I did the rear, but decided against the expense at that time.

[​IMG]

7. Nov 1, 2017 at 4:26 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    You can get away without rear shocks if you're sticking with 1" of rear lift. I have stock rear shocks and a 1" block.

You can also get away without UCA's for a while, or I guess in some cases forever. You can always do them in a few months.

8. Nov 1, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Ehhh I wouldn't. I had 1" rear blocks with my stock rear, and didn't realize how much of a difference aftermarket shocks for lifts made.

Could compress and depress my rear shocks by hand when I took them off. Only 6 months on a 1" block and no off-roading.

9. Nov 1, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    3” lowrange spacer and cb +3 shackle. 305/65/18 tires. Alignment to stock specs.

Eclipsed & Floating likes this.
  10. Nov 1, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
  11. Nov 1, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    Just did my suspension I asked if I had to do the UCA's they said it is a must if you want it right. it now drives better than stock

12. Nov 1, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
  13. Jan 22, 2020 at 11:52 PM
    Dzamorano71

Dzamorano71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2011 tundra
    Eibach pro truck 3 inch lift

14. Jan 22, 2020 at 11:54 PM
    Dzamorano71

Dzamorano71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2011 tundra
    Eibach pro truck 3 inch lift
    I do I just installed a eibach pro truck 3 inch coilover and was able to align with stock ucas with no problems

15. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    SPC's are one of the most common purchased. I just ordered mine yesterday.

phogallen[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:37 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Just remember that just because they got it in the green doesn't mean its correct.

Camden_c1 likes this.
  17. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:44 AM
    notoriousjje

notoriousjje New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 4x4 Crewmax
    LRO 3/1 leveling kit, air bags, bedrug, cover some other goodies
    The issue with my LRO 3/1 lift and stock upper control arms is not so much the alignment but the the limited travel at full droop. My stock control arm "pops" when it gets to the full reaches of its droop range. This more than anything has me wanting to change the UCA's.

18. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Amazon has the SPC's for $528.00

phogallen likes this.
  19. Jan 23, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    Big J

Big J New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4x4 crewmax

Did you run 35x12.5x20 on those tss rims? Was the clearance ok or did you have to use wheel spacers?

20. Jan 23, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    I did/do run the 35x12.5x20.
    Been some changes since that post tho and I ended up swapping the tires out. About a year later (late ‘18) the Mickeys started having some chunking problems on the treads and having some really bad uneven tire wear.
    After much research, I went with the GY Duratrac A/T’s and couldn’t be happier! Best tire IMO for street/OR use. Aggressive looks. Great temp/wear ratings! Zero drone.

I changed coil overs to Icons, and Camburg UCA’s. So no need for the level kit.

I cut the vents from the front inner-fender trim pieces, only because that’s what everyone/everything showed needed to be done with the lift/tires.
    That said, I’ve never had/noticed any rubbing.
    Never had any wheel spacers, although I’ve thought about it, when I add the fender flares I’ve had sitting in the garage for a year.

Big J[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jan 23, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    Big J

Big J New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4x4 crewmax
    Nice I had assumed tss wheels are like 9 inch wide with a +50 offset. So was wondering if those size cleared. Sounds like it does :thumbsup:

22. Jan 23, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Define proper alignment? I have caster barely in Toyota specification. Camber is .03, but i am wanting 0 or -. But it's within Toyota specification. I'l probably take it to a 4th alignment shop and see.

Products Discussed in

To Top