1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

While my truck is getting body work done

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Spielightdude, May 1, 2022.

1. May 1, 2022 at 5:24 AM
    Spielightdude

Spielightdude [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD off road and towing package
    My 2019 tundra sr5 with the trd offroad package is in the shop for some body work.
    I ended up with a 2021 4runnwr sr5 as a rental and to be honest after driving UT a few days it's worse on gas than my Tundra and not sure Iike the way it handles or drives.
    The seats are more comfortable but that's about it.
    Anyone else driven one before?

2. May 1, 2022 at 5:30 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    We have a 2020 SR5 and bumps feel rougher in it to me. I have Toytecs and Alcans in the truck though.

3. May 1, 2022 at 5:37 AM
    mustangr2

mustangr2 New Member

Member:
    I had 17 4Runner is rode better than my tundra. The bed bounce gets pretty bad on some roads. Never had any issue like that with my 4runner

4. May 1, 2022 at 5:48 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    I went from a purchased new 2017 SR5 4Runner, that was unfortunately a lemon, to my Tundra. Overall I liked the 4Runner but never really “loved” it but in all honesty I am not an SUV at all…

When I owned I thought I loved it because the 4Runner is a much better vehicle all around. However the Tundra leaves them both in the dust when it comes to comfort…hands down. I do believe the shocks are valved too soft on the 4Runner and would make my son vomit a lot because the the body sway. Aftermarket shock greatly improved the 4Runner. The Tundra handles much better than the 4Runner with the a simple mod of the rear sway bar. And the Tundra just sucks up the craters on NYC streets. As a family my wife literally demands we take the Tundra. When I owned the 4Runner and Tacoma she never liked either really.

Gas wise the 4.0s did better than the Tundra but only by 1.5 mpg’s on average. I am not saying the Tundra is gas efficient however it’s better than most believe it does. I strive for the best mpg’s on all my vehicles personally…

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  5. May 1, 2022 at 5:58 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    My wife's Highlander is coming up on 100k and we were entertaining a 4R. We took it for a ride and my wife was a hard no. She liked the height and comfort of the drivers seat, but that was about it. I really liked it, but I'm a little biased (see user name) so there's no chance it will replace the Highlander. My wife loves driving her Highlander and really likes my Tundra, but the 4R was not impressive enough to sway her away.

6. May 1, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    Spielightdude

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    I love my Tundra and have plans for it.
    The 4runner to me does handle.some things better but gas mileage is horrible in the rental, the seats are more comfortable but overall just feels really Crampt for the interior and I don't like having to reach halfway across the center console to adjust the heat or cold.
    And we do plan in getting a travel trailer and my wife does have horses so the bed for hay definitely comes in handy.

7. May 1, 2022 at 2:26 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    4th gen 4runners with the v8 are the best...or anything Lexus with the 4.7/4.6...the v6s aren't worth it especially when paired with the same transmissions as the v8s...gear hunting becomes more than just a phrase you hear...

Toyotoholic likes this.
  8. May 1, 2022 at 4:22 PM
    Spielightdude

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    The 2021 I'm renting doesn't really gear hunt but the engine sure is whiny.

9. May 1, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    I didn’t find the 4Runner gear hunt that often unless it was very mountainous terrain or when towing a trailer. The 4.0 Tacoma had much better gearing for towing though. And I rarely got over 62 mph in either truck while towing.

10. May 2, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    BigdaddyII

BigdaddyII New Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 1500
    We just bought a 2019 4Runner Limited for my wife. Compared to my SR5 Tundra its an apples to oranges comparison in the comfort and ride quality department. I like it, I like both the Tundra and the 4Runner. I fit a lot better in the 4Runner than I did in her old Camry.

11. May 2, 2022 at 11:21 AM
    Cody1060

Cody1060 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Mid Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra 1794
    We have one of each, a '21 1794 and a '20 4Runner Nightshade.
    My wife loves her 4Runner, it's a great vehicle. Stiff ride, but we like that. And, it goes through Michigan snow like it's on dry pavement.
    They each have their advantages.

12. May 2, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I absolutely LOVED my 2012 4Runner. Most solid feeling vehicle I’ve ever owned (including the Tundra). I didn’t mind that it was a slug. The one thing that did get annoying was how if you are really light on the throttle, it would try to get to 5th gear as quickly as possible (like ~30mph). It would feel completely bogged down until you put enough foot into it to make it jump gears. I resolved this by keeping it in S4 until hitting 45mph.

I averaged 17mpg in the 4Runner and 14 in the Tundra. The Tundra is more capable, but the 4Runner fit more easily when venturing off the beaten path.

What a great vehicle. For midsize vehicles, it is my favorite, hands down. An absolute tank. But, then again, so is my Tundra. The Tundra does seem to have cheaper interior materials, though, and I really do miss the auto up/down on ALL FIVE!! windows in the 4Runner.

13. May 25, 2022 at 6:23 AM
    Spielightdude

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Vehicle:
    Finally juat got my truck back on Saturday.
    If your in the New England area Communication with Girard Nissan collision center is HORRIBLE.
    I always had to call them and they never called me back so had to hound them for info.
    At least the truck looks good and I have it back.

Running boards and tonnaue cover going on Sunday and added some led straps under the front dash.
    Pics coming soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top