1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which winch, too many choices

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Caveman, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Apr 27, 2020 at 8:40 PM
    Caveman

Caveman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good evening, well I pulled the trigger a few months ago and bought the SSO slimline winch bumper and need some help selecting a winch while I'm waiting.

I've done a good amount of research but I can't land on one. So why not listen to the tundra guys/ladies and see what works.

My crewmax tundra has some extra junk in the trunk with the decked box, tools, and a canopy so it's pretty heavy all the time. 34.5" tires, 6112 lift with 5160 rears.

I do allot of fire roads in the PNW and in the winter love exploring in the snow 2-3' a good weekend warrior. However I don't go heavy duty mud boggin, no crazy rock climbs, just some remote trips with the family to find some great camping spots.

The goal is to not need the winch, however I do not want to be stuck out in the cold with the family and wishing I had cell service...

I would prefer a winch that I can remote mount the control box to under the hood due to PNW rain.

Looking at the Warn m8000 it seems like an all around winner, but looking at the Smitty's they seem to be trying to improve yearly and are putting out some great products.

Also thinking about synthetic rope/wire just to save some weight since it is still my daily, but how will that work in the PNW rain?

Also anyone recommend a good starter setup for rigging (snatch blocks, extension straps)

2. Apr 27, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    Platinum714

Platinum714 A--A

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 platinum 4x4 magnetic gray
    I decided to try the new harbor freight badlands apex12k winch that came out last year. I am kinda in your boat where I don’t think I will be doing hard core rock crawling but just to have in case. I just hooked it up this past weekend and liking it so far. I got a deal when they lowered the price last month to $499. I think it’s comparable to a smittybuilt in a similar price point.

Inquiringone likes this.
  3. Apr 28, 2020 at 3:51 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    You will want a 10k or 12k winch for your truck configured the way it is. The most popular answer will be a Warn Platinum with synthetic and wireless controls.

Then the guy will post “don’t get wireless because what if the Chinese EMP you or your battery dies or something”.

Then the next answer will be the new Smittybuilt wireless w synthetic but then they will say it’s Shittybuilt and to get the cheapest Harbor Freight winch you can find on sale.

Then the real pro will say get the superwinch or Engo and don’t look back and Warn isn’t what it used to be and they sold out etc etc.

Hope that clears it up for you.

4. Apr 28, 2020 at 4:41 AM
    Ketchumj

Ketchumj New Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab
    2020 Tundra 4x4 SR5 Magnetic Grey – TSS Off Road Toytec Complete performance 3” Lift kit with Aluma Series 2.5 Coilovers, SDP Upper Control Arms, Black Rhino 18” Gauntlet Wheels - +12 Offset, Nitto Terra Grapplers – 295/70R18, Victory 4x4 strike Front Bumper, Fab Fours Premium Rear Bumper, Smittybilt X20 12k Winch
  5. Apr 28, 2020 at 5:56 AM
    Woodguy65

Woodguy65 New Member

Member:
    I have a 16,000 pound Warn Winch stuffed in the front of my 1979 hunting/Farm truck. I’ve had it for 8 years, used it quite a bit. It works flawlessly. It cost more than the truck. LOL

Platinum714 likes this.
  6. Apr 28, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    pickeledpigsfeet

pickeledpigsfeet New Member

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra/14 FJ/ 90 SASed xcab
    Kings & Icons
    You want synth line in wet regions, it is fishing/rigging line, the metal line will rust easily. I have had winches since before they started running synth line, and when they first hit the market we had just been buying it from fishing supply companies.

I run old school(20 years old) made in US warn on my rockcrawler cause it can be life and death scenarios. I run a smittybilt on my FJ and Tundra. The smittybilts have never let me down, but they are usually only used a few times a year. They all run synth line. The key on all of them is to not mount the damn relay/control box in a place you cant take it apart. That is usually the only thing that fails and if it does, it will be in knee deep mud with no other rigs around. For instance if your “in” relay fails you can take the control box apart and wire the “in” lead from the winch to the “out” relay to get yourself home. Have had to do that on all makes and model winches. Never seen a winch motor fail on the trail, its always the relays or wiring.

Ketchumj likes this.
  7. Apr 28, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Get more than you need. At least 12k. Other than that everyone will tell you what they have had the best experience with. Which is different for everyone. I had a warn before but got a good deal on the x20 last Black Friday.

8. Apr 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    Caveman

Caveman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Well thank you everyone, after looking around at some of the deals and checking fitment I ordered the Smitty x20 12000. Free shipping and on sale $480. With that price hell I can almost buy two for the price of the Warn m8000.

9. Apr 28, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    Inquiringone

Inquiringone -Blue N Blac- an a little chrome

Member:
    First Name:
    Ter
    NorCal 408
    Vehicle:
    U can take the guy out of the garage, But U can’t take the garage out of the guy
    Not many yet, mostly stock.
    I’d give the SSO folks a call and ask what winch they designed the slimline bumper around.
    Then look for some deals, you want at least a 12k winch. Your truck has some goodies that add weight. good luck Sir.

10. Apr 28, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Buy an old warn 10 or 12k off CL or offer up and rebuild it. They’re super simple to work on and you’ll know your winch inside and out. Plus you can add on a wireless remote very easily so you have both wired and wireless

11. Apr 30, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    Blueranger501

Blueranger501 New Member

Member:
    I have the Smitty XRC comp 9500 with syn line on my first gen. Me and a full tank of gas Is 5700 lbs. Given you are heavier great call on the 12k model. Very happy with mine, really like the wireless control. I want to swap the hook for a factor 55 mount and some more of their accessories and call it good. Haven’t had to recover myself yet but worked well on my buddies 4Runner and Jeep.
    Biggest thing is syn line. Safer and lighter.

Products Discussed in

To Top