1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where Were You 17 Years Ago Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Military' started by Grumpy Uncle, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:11 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle [OP] Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    I was out at Camp Mackall trying to make it through selection. 6 days later I was on crutches with a Calcaneus Fracture. Seven months to heal.
    Weird 2 or 3 days after the 11th. Didn't know what was going to happen, a lot of rumors. A lot of picking grass out of the rocks between the hootches. A lot of crazy details to keep us busy.
    Funny I can remember those tiny little details but I can't remember much of yesterday.
    I may share more stories when the time is right or the occasional trigger flash of a memory.

ETA, I never went back to selection, stayed a support guy.

BuckWallace, Sas, Marty McFly and 2 others like this.
  2. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I was on my way to work at the AZ state capital. My youngest son was in boot at fort sill. I knew within hours that he would be going overseas.

Baja Mike, MotoTundra, Sas and 2 others like this.
  3. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    I was working in Freeport, TX. Commissioning a new Hydrogen/Carbon (Hy/CO) Monoxide production plant.

4. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Most likely on onsite at the Skunk Works or Dryden Flight Research Center or singing karaoke (minus one) Frank Sinatra songs at my favorite Filipino restaurant...I'm quite the singer by the way....seriously.....tried to forget....OK....morning break...TV on in the break room.......WTF am I seeing??? Went to bosses office.. "You better come and see this shit". No work the rest of the day. Everyone focused on the tube......

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    gosolo, MotoTundra, Sas and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    I was waking up in Stillwater, OK to get ready to go to work at Creative Labs. I remember turning on the TV to watch the morning news and one of the twin towers was burning. I thought they were doing a movie segment or something and were showing a scene from a movie. So I flipped to another news channel, but they were showing the tower as well. Then it hit me that something bad had happened. A short time after that the second tower was hit. I don't think any of us went into work until at least noon that day.

ERock, gosolo, MotoTundra and 2 others like this.
  6. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    lionix

lionix The Grey Moose!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape May, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM Cement
    BD Lights, Any Time Fog, Coachbuilder, Pelfreybilt, Bakflip, Custom Bed Rack w/ Tent
    I was in Highschool. Watched it all day. Ironically enough in History class.

7. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:43 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Working for Harlingen CISD, Maintenance Dept. Pest Control/Grounds

8. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    ladywolf

ladywolf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristen
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    05 S45 4x4 Double cab Jade Green Mica
    2.5" eibach coils/springs
    I was stationed at Fort Campbell. Watched the 2nd tower hit live on TV.

gosolo, Sas, MotoTundra and 2 others like this.
  9. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Walking through the hallway of my High School when a friend from a different grade asked me if I heard the news. That's all we watched for the rest of the day.

10. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    I was on a plane that morning coming home from deployment. As soon as I got to my parents house I turned on the TV and all flights were grounded.

Watt maker, gosolo, Sas and 2 others like this.
  11. Sep 10, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    Just finished a late shift at the sheriff's office, was having coffee with my 1 year old, oldest was in school. Wife was asleep upstairs after working a night shift. Remember California is three hours behind...

gosolo, Sas, Marty McFly and 2 others like this.
  12. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    The next 5 years were a blur of training, schools and deployments.

13. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    Areith762

Areith762 Go Avs!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    .- -. - .... --- -.
    39.944182, -104.760113
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue 5.7L CM SR5 4X4
    DAP Tune, Katskin interior leather, ESP rear under seat storage, door sill protector, door edge protector, TRD Pro shift knob, heated seats, all weather Tundra floor mats, driver side a-frame handle, Tundra trucks center console emblem, clear bra protection, Bushwacker fender flares, paint match front bumper caps, paint match rear bumper caps, paint match mirror caps, ProComp 3/1 lift, 20" Fuel wheels, 33-11.50/R20 Falcon tires, black TRD Pro badge's, black Tundra tailgate badge insert, TRD Pro headlights, Recon smoked tail lights, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Roll N Lock tonneau cover, Line-X bed liner, Tundra bed mat, Cobra led remote alarm/remote start, N-fab tube steps, factory match window tint, TRD Pro grille -paint matched, paint matched hood bulge, TRD dual exhaust, Black out exhaust tips, led interior lights, led plate lights, Spyder smoked fog lights, TRD Cold Air Intake
    I was 18 at the time working evenings at one of our local malls. I slept in till the afternoon, and went to work at 4 without any knowledge at all of anything happening. When I arrived to work, the mall was almost completely empty and most of the stores, including the ones I worked at were closed. I still had no idea what was going on. I called my manager to see why the mall was practically closed and she was the one that informed me of the news. I went back home and turned on the tv and was shocked. I watched nothing but the news for at least a week after that.

Grumpy Uncle[OP] likes this.
  14. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:06 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Was sitting in music class in 3rd grade when it came over the intercom announcing that the World Trade Center has just been attacked.

gosolo and Grumpy Uncle[OP] like this.
  15. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    All of us who still had clearances.....got real f'ing busy....crazy times..

16. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    Bear

Bear Fargin' Iceholes

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Custer, SD
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
    Pulsar Edge V3; MBRP side dump exhaust
    Sitting in my living room, half uniformed getting ready for work. That turned out to be a 42 hour straight shift. Deployed 412 of my 437 members squadron during that time.

I was “broken” with a severe injury at that particular time. Remember when all was said and done, the boss (commander) pulled open his bottom desk drawer, placed a bottle of tequila on the desk, and we did shots for a bit.

Crazy times.

17. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    I was 23, building custom homes, at the time it broke on the radio we were laying plywood on the roof. I'll never forget what I was doing when it happened, puts chills on me know, just thinking about it.

18. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    lionix

lionix The Grey Moose!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape May, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM Cement
    BD Lights, Any Time Fog, Coachbuilder, Pelfreybilt, Bakflip, Custom Bed Rack w/ Tent
    My cousin was training officers not far from the pentagon. They rushed in real quick.

19. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    It was my first week as a freshman in high school. My dad came into my room, woke me up and told me to get up and watch the TV... The coverage was showing the first tower on fire, then when the second plane hit it really sunk in what was happening. Something I'll definitely never forget.

20. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    Pandora had nasty little things in her box, I would learn in the near future.

21. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    The one thing that sticks with me the most is the empty skies and the silence for the week after. At most, there was an occasional fighter jet, then, just the silence.
    Now, whenever I see those birds in the air, I say, “that’s American muscle”.

NCinCO, porkitt, Marty McFly and 2 others like this.
  22. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:26 PM
    BB Stacker

BB Stacker New Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White 1794 TRD 4X4
    Sway Bar, TRD Catback Exhaust, Morimoto LED fog lamps, running boards, paracord wrapped oh-shit handles, Bak-Flip bed cover.
    I was out on CVN-74 USS John C. Stennis for ORSE. We were only supposed to be out for two weeks. We ended up flying CAP missions over the West Coast for a few days. After that it was a quick turn around, go home kiss your wife and kids, pack your bags, go on deployment statring right before Thanksgiving. We were not suppose to leave until after the new year.

23. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    There are 3 things in my life I'll never forget what I was doing when the happened. 9-11-01, 3-11-03 first son was born, 1-2-08 second son was born.

Black Wolf and gosolo like this.
  24. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    It was pretty eerie not hearing or seeing any non military aircraft. Some American muscle
    upload_2018-9-10_22-29-31.jpgupload_2018-9-10_22-29-53.jpg upload_2018-9-10_22-30-6.jpg

yep.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  25. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
    Was supposed to start work at 6 am that day but felt like death. Woke up around 4:30 am called in sick and went back to bed. About 7am my mom woke me up. Came into my room, shook me awake and said "The Twin Towers in New York have come down. Terrorists flew planes into them." WHAT? Turned on my alarm clock radio and listened to KROQ and they were talking about what happened. I got up and got dressed, went up stairs to see the second plane hit as the news kept showing it. I had apprenticeship school in down town Los Angeles that day. I called my union's JATC and they said school was still on. Unbelievable. Went north on the 110 freeway (which crosses the flight path of planes landing at LAX for those that don't know) and the skies were clear. Not a single plane or helicopter to be seen. I got to school and all we did for 3 hours was watch the news. Got back home, watched more news, still felt like death. Went to bed, called in sick the next day again and went to my doctor. I came down with mono on September 11th. I went on disability for the month and just watched the news all day for 2 weeks.

Black Wolf and Grumpy Uncle[OP] like this.
  26. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:39 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    High school. We watched the news all 6 periods.

27. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:41 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Junior year of high school, somebody told us to turn on the tv. Watched that 2nd tower get hit, then both of them fall. Crazy shit. I remember Mom being in Detroit for business, she was supposed to fly back that day. I was pretty certain she wasn't in a plane when this was going on since it was early morning, still I wasn't 100% sure. She ended up being pretty smart, canceled her meetings and got a rental car in Detroit that morning as all of this shit was going on and just drove 8 hours straight home. If she had waited till later in the day, I'm betting all the rental cars would have been gone because all the airlines shut down.

28. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:44 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
  29. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    Somewhere in the North Atlantic, poking holes in the ocean on SSN-760...

30. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra Ltd TRD OffRoad Dbl Cab
    I was in high school and was too busy see the news before school started. Didn’t know what happened till I got to class.

4x4_Angel and Marty McFly like this.
To Top