1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When did our chickens turn into pets?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sr5shark, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    sr5shark

sr5shark [OP] Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Fox & ADS | SCS SR8 | Nitto RG
    Several months ago my wife decided to get chickens and came home with four baby chicks. The chicks were cute but we knew that the cuteness would not last and they would be chickens.

Last night we got home after dark I went out to close up the chicken coop. I opened the clean-out door to check on the chickens and 2 were missing! I searched the chicken’s yard and found one on top of the coop. Still missing was my kid’s favorite - Nugget.

It’s now after 10:30 pm and we have searched our yard, our neighbor’s yard, and the edge of the open space across the street. There is no sign of Nugget and my kids are devastated. We are trying to be optimistic but my wife and I are positive that some predator got her.

My girls cried themselves to sleep. :(

This morning my wife and I woke up early to search again. We were not optimistic at all - we were doing this for the kids. After finding nothing I went to the chicken’s yard to search for some proof that Nugget was taken by a predator.

I heard a noise and looked up. In a tree, about 18 feet up, was Nugget!

The chickens started out a farm animals but somewhere along the line they became pets and my kids love them as much as our other animals.
    IMG_9707.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Boerseun, Bob, 1UPPER and 7 others like this.
  2. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    "Won't you fly - Free Bird" (Lynyrd Skynyrd in my head) Nugget wants to be FREE!!!!

3. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    They become pets because our kids and family create bonds with them. And then you give in as well because you’re not a coldhearted son of a bitch. One thing I learned was, if you’re going to eat it, don’t name it. I’m not a hunter. But I would hunt if I had to. That said the minute I start petting an animal, I don’t want to eat it anymore. I’ve met some really cool cows that I would only eat if I had to or it was going to die soon. I can get a pretty good deal on steak and chicken at Costco LOL.

4. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I was raised on a ranch. Needless to say we always had plenty of eggs, chicken, lamb chops,steaks, bacon, and a pet Merganser duck and Grey goose. My dad's dog finally ate the duck.

mtntop, landphil, TheBeast and 2 others like this.
  5. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    The "Like" button is for everything - no way to "Like everything except the dog eating the duck". ;)

6. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Was weird. My dad's dog was a doxie. The duck was as big as her. She never bothered the duck for 5 years. One morning I went down to our creek to prime and start our irrigation pump. "Libby" was standing there with duck feet sticking out of her mouth. Crazy dog. I did buy and raise a purebred polled Hereford bull calf. Named him Henry. Showed him at the county fair. I was in FFA. Henry had a long and happy life breeding and eating and chewing his cud!

7. Aug 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Nothing like fresh eggs. And I don’t hate anybody living the farm life. I guess I just didn’t grow up around it enough to have to do any of that.

8. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I spent most of my young days as a Marine pilots' brat. A lot of it near MCAS Tustin and again at MCAS El Toro. He retired and bought 70 acre ranch in Oregon. 1965. I was 10. A city slicker turned into the cowboy life overnight. I'm truly glad my dad showed me that life. Lots of hard work but we were pretty much self sustainable. Had a half acre garden too with fruit trees. THE LIFE.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    By the way...get your kids in 4H when old enough. They will love it!

17inferno and jewsNbrews like this.
  10. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    This is key. At least for the kids. I would still have no problem naming and raising livestock to eat(I had animals in 4h and FFA), but most kids won't, they get attached.

11. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    As a kid I wanted to be a cowboy or farmer really bad. I wished my parents had on the land that I could take over when I grew up. It always intrigued me and I felt I would’ve made a good ranchhand. I would assume it was much easier to do 1965. My grandfather grew up in North Dakota in the 30s and to get by they had to farm just to keep food on the table. I was lucky enough that he taught me a lot of the old tricks on how to do things yourself. Fixing fences growing a garden, taking care of manly duties. I had a feeling that you grew up in the same era as my parents. Just by listening to you talk or reading your words. My mom was born in 55.
    Right on Matt!

12. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Well I guess I’ve never had to name something and then eat it LOL but I could get used to it. Nothing like fresh food.

13. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Sounds like a great way to grow up. It's tough these days to teach kids about hard work.

My kids love gardening and animals. We want to move out of the bay area (housing prices are just stupid) but can't till my kids are out of high school. Then we will look from something with acres. Until then, 4H is a good idea - thanks!

14. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    jewsNbrews

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    They just taste better. Home raised anything taste better than mass produced livestock. Home raised you can finish(grain fed 2-6 weeks prior to slaughter) an animal better than slaughter housed livestock. It's not for everyone, as they can get attached, but if you can do it I would. Also you mentioned you could hunt if needed...you should learn. Deer and elk is great tasting and low fat.

Black Wolf and sr5shark[OP] like this.
  15. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Don't think I could eat something that I named (unless it was bacon).

16. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    jewsNbrews

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Get a pig and name it bacon...or pork chop, hammy, ect. Most 4H and FFA members struggle. They have to train their animal for showing and get attached after all that hard work...and don't do well when sending to slaughter...at least around here. Some fairs/shows actually slaughter it and judge for market that way but not here.

17. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I wanted to name the chickens "Lemon", Orange, Kung Pao" and "General Tsao" but my kids did not want to name them after food. A little ironic that that the favorite is "Nugget" (named because she was the smallest, not after McDonalds nuggets).

My wife's sister did you you suggest. They named their pig "Bacon" and fed it really well. When it came time to butcher the pig my brother in law was on site to make sure that they got back the same pig that they brought in.

18. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    jewsNbrews

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    I hear that...usually places are good about that, giving you back what you brought in. But I did go to a place once that I didn't feel treated me right but no proof. Felt I was shorted some serious pounds. Went to a different butcher the next year and go so much more for similar weighted animal that I never went back to the other place even though it's in town vs the 1.5 he drive to the better butcher.

sr5shark[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. Denver has the Western Stock Show every Jan. The FFA and 4H kids that show steers and hogs auction their animals off. I'm sure they've named their animals. Hard but builds character. Grand champion steer can go for over $100,000 easy. Champion hog...$30K or more. Usually local steak houses bid the highest. These kids are usually in their teens. Education paid for at a top Vo-Ag college. Our future farmers. All is good.

jewsNbrews[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Lots of folks are still doing the same. Nothing has changed over the years. Next time you are flying over "fly over" states...look down....still happening..and not just over "fly over" states.

Caviot.....keep your kids away from video games. I'm talking in general now. It's amazing what kids can do.

15whtrd[QUOTED] and jewsNbrews like this.
  21. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Move out here to CO. Still not messed up...yet..

22. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:15 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I keep mentioning CO to my wife but she says she will not live where there is snow. I'm still hoping to wear her down. (I prefer cold & snow over cold & wet or hot as hell.)

23. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    jewsNbrews

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Come to Washington...4 seasons on east side of the state...cold but not has much snow as we used to get.

24. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Snow can be fun....and warm fireplaces in winter. CO summers and fall...words can't express...especially if you own a Tundra!

25. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    By the way...clip your chickens wing feathers. Doesn't hurt...and they won't fly up into trees...cats can climb trees anyways.

26. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    CO, WA and OR are contenders. My fear is that by the time we are ready to move the housing prices in other places will be as ridiculous as they are in the Bay Area. Just need to find a place with land, not a big population, and still Amazon Prime delivery.

27. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    My wife and I were just talking about that this morning. We are considering it - just concerned about them not being able to fly if they need to.

28. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Once they realize they can fly...they will definitely test their boundaries...although they can't fly far. Too heavy.

29. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    All great choices. If you move to Orygun...you better root for the DUCKS..haha.

30. Aug 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    sr5shark

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I was a Duck. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in