1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel wobble after brake replacement?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by womprat57, May 20, 2019.

1. May 20, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    womprat57

womprat57 [OP] BABE the Big Blue Ox

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Did the fronts and rears, new pads and rotors, bedded them and no issues. Today took the truck on the highway and a slight shimmy is present, or wheel wobble. Initially I torqued the wheels to 115 ft/lbs but since verified 154 for the steel wheels. I have to say I havent had something like this in many brake jobs so a bit unsure whats up. Possible warped rotors? I get no shimmy when braking though, smooth as silk there. I did the bed in drove 40-50 and braked down to 20-10 about 7 times and parked it to cool down.
    I know my parking brake isnt tight yet figuring I would get it all done and tested before I do that.
    Has anyone experienced this? I sanity checked them on the way to work torqued to 115 ft/lbs and they were still tight.:( All wheels are what came off what corner no rotation as that was done 500 miles ago. Maybe a re-balance?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. May 20, 2019 at 3:44 PM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum-SOLD 2022 Sequoia, Celestial Silver Metallic
    I was thinking balance until you said they went back on the same corners. I have the same problem after rotating mine. Not sure what could cause yours after just pads and rotors.

3. May 20, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    Ol' Salty Dawg

Ol' Salty Dawg New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 2WD XSP-X
    Maybe you accidentally knocked off a weight without realizing it?

landphil and OR18TRD like this.
  4. May 20, 2019 at 5:03 PM
    SoCalPaul

SoCalPaul New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Access Cab Limited 4wd.
    Front Bilstein 6112 shocks & Bilstein springs. Rear Bilstein 5160 remote Reservoir shocks, Wheeler’s Off-road add-a-leafs. LED lighting. Pioneer Avic 7200NEX Nav Head unit. Borla cat back exhaust.
    I've seen videos where they talk about rust flakes getting between the rotor & hub making the rotor not seat flat to the hub.

OR18TRD likes this.
  5. May 20, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Happened to me once. I didn't have my wheel centered correctly when I tightened the lugs down, vibrated on the freeway. Pulled the wheels of to inspect, saw nothing wrong and carefully reinstalled wheels. Problem went away.

OR18TRD likes this.
  6. May 20, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    womprat57

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Thanks everyone ! Rust was wire brushed off the hubs and copper anti-seize applied, pretty sure the wheels were centered and no weights fell off but I am inclined to pull them just to double check.

7. May 21, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    womprat57

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Oddly today its barely noticeable, maybe the correct torque?

8. May 21, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    mambo143

mambo143 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112, 5160, Coachbuilder 1” shackle lift, Wildpeak A3’s, LED backup, Maxiplus mats, Bak Rollover Mx4, BedRug, Westin HD Headache Rack. Westin HD Brush Guard, Spidertrax 1.5 spacers. TRD Brakes. Headlight Revolution LED. TRD rear Torsion Bar. Dirty Deeds 10 inch Stainless. TRD Pro Grill. Bushwhacker Pocket Flares. Baja Designs Combo Driving/Fog lights.
    Lots of things could cause this. It’s not the rotor because you would feel the wobble when lightly on the brake. Maybe you picked something up in a wheel and it fell off. The offset rim installation would certainly wreak havoc. If you rotated the tires. Sometimes the rears can be slightly off and this becomes more noticeable when swapped to the front. That is has improved without doing anything suggests you picked up something in one of your wheels. Also if you have A/t tires. Check them closely inside and out for defect; chunk missing or broken bead. (Can look like a slight change in the shape of the sidewall.)

9. May 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Ajkkane

Ajkkane Old fart.

Member:
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SR5
    Exhaust Dirty Deeds 8”SS, some led lights, Osram headlights, Pro Stop brakes, Pop Lock, AFE dry air filter with charcoal delete.
    If you lowered the tires to the ground to tighten them the bottom 6 o
    Two things that may have happened.
    I always torque my wheels with the tires off the ground. If you lower the tires were they touch the ground then tighten the wheels to proper torque, the bottom 6 o’clock position, will have resistance from the ground, and the top, 12 o’clock position is free to move. This will cause the bottom to be a lower torque spec then the top.

The second thing when I did my brakes and rotors I spun the rotors and noticed that they were wobbling in the brake calipers from left to right. I took everything back apart and noticed that there was rust from the old rotors stuck to the hub. A quarter of a millimeter on the hub might be a millimeter or two out by the far end of the rotor and cause the brakes pulsate. I hope this helps.
    Take care.

10. May 21, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    womprat57

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Yeah still there on the ride home, guess getting a days worth of coffee in me adjusted my senses! Thanks guys, yeah I hand tightened up and torqued on the ground, I'll also check the tread to see if any chunks are missing! Thank you!! Today was hella windy and i wasnt getting under it in a dirt driveway lol but tomorrow I will pull all four wheels and inspect then and re-mount and torque them in the air, good advice!!

11. May 21, 2019 at 9:08 PM
    SLC Tundra

SLC Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JkT
    Vehicle:
    '19 Tundra SR5 CavalryBlue 4x4
    2" lift, TRD 18" wheels, Nitto TerraGrappler G2's, Bilsteins, black powder coated logos and bumpers
    I had this happen after a 5000 mile service at the dealer. One of my front wheels was "cocked" ever so slightly on the hub and they didn't properly torque the lugs. (I know, RIGHT?!) Perhaps one of the wheels isn't fully seated on the hub causing a slight misalignment?

12. May 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    womprat57

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    UPDATED 5/25/19

Jacked it up adjusted the E-brake and scrubbed the inner steel wheels at the mounting points, they had some rust.
    With the E-brake engaged, to keep the rotors tight, mount the wheels in the air and whack all around lightly with a hammer to ensure they are flush, torque to 154 ft/lbs.
    The E-brake, that bugger! Got edumacated and set it as it should be, first the shoes then the cable. Took it for a spin no drag in motion and after 10 min cool down temps consistently in the 115 F range on the rotor and 124 F on the calipers with an IR gun, no dragging!
    Checked the tires no chunking and all at 33 lbs.
    Smooth up past 90 on the HWY now. I may pull the fronts tomorrow for a proper re-torque and to fluid-film the drivers hub, did the passengers forgot the drivers...
    Thank you all very very much for the awesome tips! This brake kit brings it to a stop so smoothly and quickly, and about 200 miles into the 500 mile break in so far so very good!

CHEERS!

Tundra Fan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top