1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel ratings

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Dustydirt19, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Apr 17, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    Dustydirt19

Dustydirt19 [OP] Hoghead

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Metallic 5.7L 4WD SR5 TRD DC
    ProComp 6" stage 2 lift 18x9 Fuel Vapor -12 offset 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers BullyDog Tuner Gibson Metal Mulisha cat-back exhaust, S&B cold air intake, Color matched TRD PRO Grille, Compustar Remote Start N-Fab Hooped Nerf Bars, AMI Big stick antenna, Salex organizer and tray, Weathertech laser cut floor mats, Weathertech window deflectors Black out badge Black out front and rear bumper Black out flags 24/7 black out TRD Off-road decals Spray in Line-X Bedliner Scosche phone mount Soft rolling tonneau cover TRD pedals and footrest
    Whenlooking at wheels I've been checking the wheel ratings. On my 2015 double cab sr5 ( I'm going with the higher numbers ) is says gross vehicle weight rating is 7200lbs and payload is 1630lbs totalling 8830lbs. When looking at rims if it has a weight rating of 2500lbs am I correct that I would divide that 8830 by 4 to make sure I'm within spec? Or how does this actually work? Also what is the GAWR Gross axle weight rating?

2. Apr 17, 2017 at 8:13 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    GVWR of 7200 lbs is the maximum your Tundra can weigh (and this includes payload). Your truck from the factory probably weighs 5570 lbs and with the 1630 lbs payload equals the 7200 lbs for the gross vehicle weight rating. So a wheel that has a 2000 lb rating will be more than enough.

Gross axle weight rating is just that. Your front and rear axles have xxxx weight rating. Take away the individual weights of each axle (vehicle weight) and subtract that from the maximum rating, that is what you have in capacity on each axle.

gosolo and T-Rex266 like this.
  3. Apr 17, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    Dustydirt19

Dustydirt19 [OP] Hoghead

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    ProComp 6" stage 2 lift 18x9 Fuel Vapor -12 offset 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers BullyDog Tuner Gibson Metal Mulisha cat-back exhaust, S&B cold air intake, Color matched TRD PRO Grille, Compustar Remote Start N-Fab Hooped Nerf Bars, AMI Big stick antenna, Salex organizer and tray, Weathertech laser cut floor mats, Weathertech window deflectors Black out badge Black out front and rear bumper Black out flags 24/7 black out TRD Off-road decals Spray in Line-X Bedliner Scosche phone mount Soft rolling tonneau cover TRD pedals and footrest
    So still when looking at wheel and tires 7200 gvwr/ 4 = 1800. So I would not want a wheel or tire with a weight rating of less than that correct?

4. Apr 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    That is correct sir. So the craptastic P Metric tires work, but I would go P Metric XD or better. An LT road range C would be optimal, but really limits what brand of tire you can get. Then tires jump up to LR E since our wheel and tire combo is a common F-250 size.

5. Apr 17, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    Dustydirt19

Dustydirt19 [OP] Hoghead

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks for the help. Tires I was ok on. Im going either cooper or Nitto. The wheel was more of my question. I've seen them anywhere from 2100 to 3500 lbs. The fuel rims I want are 2500 so I should be good to go. Again appreciate the clarification!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  6. Apr 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Great. Post up those pics when you get the new wheels and rubber.

7. Apr 18, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    Dustydirt19

Dustydirt19 [OP] Hoghead

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    Will do! One more short month

Products Discussed in

To Top