1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's a Solid Choice for a Handgun?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by AZTundra, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Mar 21, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    AZTundra

AZTundra [OP] No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Morning everyone! As the title states, what do you guys feel is a solid choice for a handgun? Currently the only gun I own is an old 22 rifle that I gave to my brother about 15 years ago because my wife isn't a fan of having any guns in the house. She has since changed her mind and wants to go look at some this weekend. I know many of you have large collections and a wealth of knowledge out there. Help point me in the right direction. If we go looking, we'll probably end up getting one for each of us. I have very limited knowledge in this area and need some advice. :anonymous:

Thanks in advance.

Bob_Wiley likes this.
  2. Mar 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    chugs

chugs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ciao
    Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Blue Streaker
    Youtubes has a lot of content on handgun reviews.

Rica25 and AZTundra[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 21, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Thanks, I'll give that a look. I just don't want to walk out with something that they sold me on to later find out it's not all that.

Rica25 likes this.
  4. Mar 21, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    300BLK

300BLK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 - Black
    Glock 17. Dead reliable, easy to maintain and field strip, good mag capacity, massive aftermarket. 17 has a greater sight radius but a 19 may be better if she has small hands. Good luck finding a firearm among this pandemic now though, ammo and guns are sold out at most places around here at least.

Alternatively if you cant find any firearms in stock, if you're handy you can build a Polymer80 Glock which you can have shipped to your door since its not a firearm until you finish the frame using some files and a drill.

5. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    CNE0207

CNE0207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM Limited
    Good luck with your search... the outbreak has people snatching up guns all over.... Sounds like it’s been a while since you have shot anything... I’d go to a local range and try out some rentals in the caliber you are leaning towards. Some guys like glock, his buddy might be a sig sauer guy, his brother might like smith & Wesson... find the gun that fits you’re hand and ask questions at the range or gun shop. Don’t go cheap, you get what you pay for. I’d lean towards 9mm from your original post for a handgun, but a shotgun is always a great home defense choice

CMB, Newbie_19, Mickeydog and 7 others like this.
  6. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM
    UTAHRTK

UTAHRTK New Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra TRD CM
    Dirty Deeds 8" standard exhaust, 6112/5160, MR 701's, TOYO R/T Trails 285/75/17
  7. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    Trdwillie14

Trdwillie14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd off road
    2.5 fox 2.5 ads triple bypass T/C uppers Nfab front bumper Westin rear Bajas Rci skids All pro sliders Icon rxt leafs Stt pros Method 701s 37 Mickey Thompson
    for something to carry on your person daily I would go with the sig p365 for a home gun I would do a glock 34 with a light

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    Leesupra

Leesupra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    2016 TUNDRA SR5 CREWMAX
    TRD EXHAUST, OEM TOW MIRROR, OEM RUNNING BOARD
    Go test out the popular handguns at your local range. You will get a feel of each handgun real quick. I prefer Glock myself.

twistedcricket, porkitt, Hoff and 2 others like this.
  9. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input. I haven't heard of places being sold out around here, at least not to my knowledge.

Rica25 likes this.
  10. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    You can't go wrong with a mid-full size Glock 9mm (17/19/45). Simple to use and works. As others have said, you just gotta train with it. Also as others have said, good luck finding one any time soon!

Unlimited, JH5370, Hoff and 2 others like this.
  11. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Flyinryank

Flyinryank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 CM 4x4
    AFE Dry S Drop-In Filter TRD Air Accelerator TRD Radiator Cap TRD Fuel Cap TRD Pro Grill/Hood Body Mount Chop Bilstein 6112s CB Shim on Driver Side Bilstein 5160s ICON Rear Spring Pack Factory Painted Door Handles BFG KO2s 305/65R18 Method NV 18x9 +25 NFAB RKR Rails SDHQ ABS Guards SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Pros
    Glock 19 IF you can find one

degs, Hoff and AZTundra[OP] like this.
  12. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Dos Cylindros

Dos Cylindros New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Edition Smoked Mesquite
    As mentioned above, Glock 17 or Glock 19 is hard to beat.

Boosted4runner, degs, Hoff and 2 others like this.
  13. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    I'm a Glock fan also. Very simple and reliable but...lack of safety makes it a poor candidate in pockets and purses without a proper case/holster. You'll get a better answer if you give a little idea as to what your plans are for these handguns. Carry? Truck? Bedside table? Target practice?

14. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    The Sig p365 is actually one that caught my eye while researching a bit this morning. :thumbsup: I'll be sure to check that one out.

Iron1, Hoff and Rica25 like this.
  15. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Wife is looking for just some type of protection while I'm away and not home. I work long days from roughly 6am til 9pm throughout the week. For myself, if there is something that is a jack of all trades would be pretty sweet.

Rica25 likes this.
  16. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Springfield also makes great polymer pistols, very similar to Glocks. You might have an easier time finding one of those.

17. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    300BLK

300BLK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 - Black
    Honestly if she's looking for a weapon for home defense as opposed to conceal carry, i would recommend an AR15. Put on a red dot and a light and its MUCH easier to use, 30 rd mag capacity, and with the 5.56 caliber theres much lower chance of overpenetration through walls. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug and impacts accuracy significantly. This can make a big difference especially with a handgun without regular training.

kstateskier and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  18. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    Njmike13

Njmike13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hunterdon county, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2021 PRO Lunar Rock
    I know this will be unpopular with most but a good first handgun is a revolver. Here's my reasoning.
    1. If you pull the trigger and it goes click instead of bang just pull the trigger again.
    2. No safety
    3. Minimal disassembly for cleaning.

Once you become more comfortable with a handgun you should buy a magazine fed pistol.

TRD-tv, JAMES, Ckatz53 and 12 others like this.
  19. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    Second the notion that right now is a bad time to be looking as stocks will be low. I'll add another plug for the Glock 19. I like it because of it's flexibility, reliability and if the SOF community has rallied around this gun then I know it's been checked by some of the best for positive attributes. The Glock 19 is a mid-size frame 9mm that works across many functions. In it's normal state you can configure the grip size out of the box for different hand sizes. It's also easier to carry concealed (if that's your plan) or just on your hip for driving in your car or walking 3 miles on a trail. I added an XGrip grip extender to 2 Glock 17 mags (17 round capacity) for home defense posture and for range shooting. I like the extra grip length when I can get it. Otherwise I leave a regular mag in it for the more compact form. And, like other have said, it's infinitely expandable with accessories if that'll be your thing. I strapped a halogen light on my rail again for home defense posture. This is my only handgun so I wanted it to be something that worked great to good in many situations.

20. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    bdpeelgren

bdpeelgren New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CrewMax Super White
    Readylift 3/1, Rigid D-series fog lights, Supernova V.4, F/R Coverking covers.
    As long as you stick with a well known brand there really isn’t a wrong answer anymore.

But one of my favorites is an HK VP9.

aperezsh, MT Madman, Vince and 5 others like this.
  21. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    Reminder that guns are tools and are only as useful as the training you put into their use. I'll strongly advise that both of you get professional training and keep it up at the range or additional training classes. Make it a hobby and make it fun and the ability for both of you to protect yourselves will be dramatically improved.

22. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    G17 is my choice

23. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    Cfincke

Cfincke Mall Crawler but capable

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 CM 5.7 4x4 sunset bronze
    5.29s, Auburn LSD, 37x12.50R18, Icon coilovers and shocks, SPC UCA's, Tech 12 Volts sound system, Enve Grill
    You really need to hold different guns to see what feels best in each of your hands. My wife prefers an M&P sub compact 9mm, I had bought her a shield, but she did not like it. Friends have sigs, glocks, beretta. I was not fond of the beretta and glocks just do not feel right in my hand. The new gen glocks do feel better in my hands.
    Unfortunately You will have to hunt around to find ammo right now and all the ranges around me are temporarily closed

24. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    Decide what you want in the gun first. I have a Ruger SR40C for carrying and a Sig Sauer P238 for the summer months. The smaller micros are better size wise for my wife’s hand but you’re going to have to spend some coin to get a Micro that has a nice trigger and is accurate. My wife likes the p238 as guns go... still a little trigger shy. Very little kick and it’s accurate enough for a micro. I usually carry my Ruger SR40C. It’s quite accurate and has been very reliable.

If you’re thinking about home defense in the immediate near term, TBH, I wouldn’t even look at handguns. It would take me some time and a lot of rounds to feel really confident with a new handgun and i shoot them pretty regularly. Plus, in my own house, I’d grab my semi auto 12 gauge packed full of 3” 00 buckshot before I’d even think about pulling out my Ruger or Sig. I’ve found the smaller, locally owned gun stores are usually staffed with really knowledgable gun lovers. Tell them your needs and I would guess they’ll point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  25. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!

WNY PAT and rt_tundra_co like this.
  26. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    The best home defense gun IMO is a shotgun. Remmington 870 is about as simple and reliable as they get. Load it with 2-3/4" OO or a purpose made defense round. Take the wife out for training until it becomes something she can handle in the dark under stress.

As for you I'll say I'm still a Glock fan with enough training to keep yourself out of trouble. Just like all ice chests keep things cold but different sizes are better in different situations, pistols all shoot a projectile but different frame sizes work better depending on what you are doing at that time. For example, a compact is easier to conceal but harder to shoot well. Choose your gun based on where it will be used most of the time...or buy more than one.

27. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    I prefer a heavier pistol and an exposed hammer. Beretta 92fs gets my vote. It doesn't sound like your wife is very familiar or comfortable with a handgun so lightweight Glocks and similar handguns can be really snappy and uncomfortable for new shooters. If she gets Glock bite even once, I bet she's gonna stop shooting. Glocks are great handguns but I'd keep my options open for a first timer

equin, AZTundra[OP] and CNE0207 like this.
  28. Mar 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Trdwillie14

Trdwillie14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd off road
    2.5 fox 2.5 ads triple bypass T/C uppers Nfab front bumper Westin rear Bajas Rci skids All pro sliders Icon rxt leafs Stt pros Method 701s 37 Mickey Thompson
    I carry that off duty and on duty in my vest it’s small it goes bang and carry’s a lot of rounds for the size. As far as the 34 it’s longer then the 17 but better grouping I would go 3rd gen best trigger. Stay to 9mm in side a house due to rounds having a better chance of not going threw Sheet rock. That being said if u want a rifle I would go with a psa ak-v9. Easy to shoot and if u miss it won’t go threw a wall. Also keep in mind u want something that you can hold with one hand for example most people say shotgun but re racking or grabbing someone or helping someone with staying on target can be a challenge. Just my 10c tho

29. Mar 21, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Lots of good comments here but to me the best are to suggest that you handle and shoot a few for yourselves and see what feels right for you.

It really does not matter at all as long as you stick with any of the main manufacturers and learn how to operate and maintain the gun,they should all perform well and get the "Job" done whatever that is.

I will say that if came down to having to make a single choice and living with it alone mine would be a Glock without hesitation.
    Just reliable and light weight and easily and cheaply enhanced and maintained and I would look at 9mm,maybe a 19 or 17 for you and a 26 for the Lady.
    The Magazines interchange essentially and both of you will already be familiar with each of them if the need arises.
    I actually carry my G26 the most as it is so compact but still capable.

I also have not heard anyone claim that the Glocks feel Snappy or uncomfortable for new shooters as one poster suggests,I think they seem to mute the feel in hand for what they are.

I am not saying that they are the best or that I even shoot them the best but they are so damn good and light and can be relied on when needed that it seems like an easy recommendation.

Also a Shotgun for at home is a terrific choice no matter the handgun choices.

30. Mar 21, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    buckeyeinlv

buckeyeinlv International Man of Mystery

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro CrewMax
    OEM Power Tailgate Lock, Peragon Tonneau Cover, S&B Intake, Bora 1” Spacers, ceramic window tint. Interior: OCD Organizer, AJT Designs Cup Tray and Shift Trim, JDMCar Rubber inserts. Tires: 285/70R18 Old Truck: Base:2017 Inferno SR5 CM 4x4 Mods: Interior- OCD organizer, Proclip USA iPhone X Mount, Wireless center console charger, TRD shift knob. Exterior- Backflip G2 Tonneau Cover, Amp Research Powersteps and Bed Step, Pop and Lock tailgate lock, Ceramic window tint, Blackout emblems, TRD Pro Grille, Stubby antenna, Vinyl American flag TRD graphics, Color matched and bullet lined bumper ends, 18x9/+25 Method NV305 Bronze wheels Engine- Stock
    Depends on what you want to use it for:
    Target, home defense, Conceal Carry?

once you have that narrowed down there are several manufacturers and models to choose from.

At that point, it’s best to try a few to see what feels comfortable in your hands and what you like.

Midway, Rica25 and AZTundra[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top