1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's a good product for protection of paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Redtundra18, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Nov 25, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    Redtundra18

Redtundra18 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra
    What's a good product for protection of paint

2. Nov 25, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Professional Cat Herding Expert Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    White 3500HD
    Mirror dice
  3. Nov 25, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Nerf step bars spray in bed liners window tint integrated brake controller
    Thanks Chris for the tag.

Lots of good info in these Tudras.com posts.

There are many ways and products to take care of a vehicles finish. People are passionate about what they use and more products are hitting the market. These seem to be the contenders of late:

A) Traditonal wax that is Carnauba based
    B) Wax that is synthetic based
    C) Sealants
    D) Ceramic coatings

I was a Carnauba wax on wax off guy for years until reading the many posts that @SouthBoundSteve penned concerning C.Quartz.UK and then C.Quartz.UK 3.0. I have sinced tried both on different vehicles (mine has the former) and I am very pleased.

To use Ceramic coatings requires paint correction first. This consists of washing, claying, tarx type remover, IronX remover, Eraser, then use of a DA to do away with micro scratches.Some coatings are sold to general public and last 2-3 years and some are only sold to professional detailers and last longer.
    If hired out, expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200.00. I think it is worth it if it is a professional detailer who can get their hands on say C.Quartz Pro.

That said,
    If you are into washing and waxing and will keep up with it religiously, there are a number of good waxes available.
    - WaxAddict, Chemical guys, carPro Sky’s the Limit, detailers Domain, Auto-geek and others.

Auto geek has good YouTube tutorials and seem balanced with their reviews. I would start with their reviews and see what detailing camp you’re in.

I got introduced to C.Quartz.UK and then the newer version, 3.0 by Steve, aka @SouthBoundSteve and I believe it’s coating is tougher than the OE clear coat. I am driven to keep its finish new looking.
    I use Reload on top of it and have used Hydro2 over the ceramic coating as well.

Any products over the ceramic coating is probably overkill but I still am someone who likes to spend time on the truck, especially on the items most ignore like rubber and plastic parts.

This past Black Friday I ordered a product called PS Bead Maker that is highly recommended by @War Machine and has had phenomenal reviews. I will experiment with that on different vehicles including mine.

I know this reply is probably confusing but I believe that if you commit to a way of detailing whether it be wax, sealants, ceramic coatings or other, you’ll have great results. It then is tough to say who’s is best. It may take a decade or longer to compare and then how does one account for variables like garaged vs kept outside, salty winters vs desert sun etc.

Today I washed the ‘15 Pro and used Reload on the Inferno colored paint. WaxAddict’s Tyre feeder conditioner was used on the tires, plastic and rubber seals around the windows.

The Pro has a base coat of C.Quartz.UK and a few weeks ago I used Hydro2, which I can still see its effect on the windshield.

Here are some pictures taken a few minutes ago of my 2015 pro going on 42k miles, daily driven and kept outside and I have no micro scratches since using C.Quartz Uk and washing using the two bucket method with grit guards.
    The sky is opaque or the paint would have looked deeper with better reflection.
    54769732-A264-466F-89F7-B70590B94220.jpg

003A26E3-4A59-480B-BD81-09FC728435AF.jpg
    5ACEC434-024A-448D-967E-3A7A5C291E87.jpg
    F8E335A2-6F88-403C-A9B3-6923B89D4BC7.jpg
    B2FC2C72-3DB2-421B-87A9-E7862463EDC6.jpg

NewImprovedRon and ColoradoTJ like this.
  4. Nov 25, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    White 3500HD
    Mirror dice
    I knew that tagging you two would get the job done!!!

Thanks @driverdog for the detailed reply, and education for myself.

NewImprovedRon and driverdog like this.
  5. Nov 25, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    G10dra

G10dra New Member

Member:
    Inferno :bowdown:

driverdog likes this.
  6. Nov 25, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    PS,
    The op doesn’t give his location and most parts of the country will be seeing bad weather and short days. Not exactly the ideal conditions to wonder about what to use and then apply.

@Redtundra18 we know has a 2018 and wants it protected. That’s all the info he gave.

My knee jerk response without knowing what state he lives in, would be to recommend a paste wax to act as a protective shield while he researches.

I have tried the soft paste waxes like Chemical Guys Butter wet wax, Chemical guys 3’X hardcore and spray waxes like WaxAddict’s Fo sho, WaxAddict’s Carnauba spray emulsion and Turtle wax’s ice. All these products don’t last long and I wouldn’t recommend them for carrying me through winter.

If he sees salt I would recommend a solid carnauba Wax. Something along the lines of WaxAddict’s edition 21 signature wax or WaxAddict’s signature blend Vitreo wax. I would also recommend Mothers 100% Pure Carnauba paste wax if he can’t get his hands on the other two.

If he doesn’t see salt, I would recommend Reload through CarPro sky’s the limit or Amazon.

All good placeholders that would carry him through the next few months.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  7. Nov 25, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    White 3500HD
    Mirror dice
    He lives up north of you.

driverdog likes this.
  8. Nov 25, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Thanks!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  9. Nov 25, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CrewMax MGM
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport fogs, HID retros, Pro Grill with painted color matched caps. Vled interior lights, AJT shift knob
    I just finished waxing mine with FK1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, its more of a sealant but its a wax. It will outlast any wax on the market. It is my go to to get me through the NE winters. It lasts that long.

driverdog likes this.
  10. Nov 25, 2018 at 10:08 PM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Jason,

The FK1000p is a good example of a synthetic paste wax and good choice for easy on and easy off.

Good to know it gets you through the NE winters.

Have you tried using a spray sealant under FK? Sealants are fast to apply, long lasting and do an excellent job against harmful UV, acid rain, etc..

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Wolfgang deep gloss paint Sealant and Reload quickly come to mind.

I like layering different products, especially going into winter when it’s harder to detail.

Here is a good read by Autogeek suggesting layering has a place.

nowayout likes this.
  11. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:49 AM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CrewMax MGM
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport fogs, HID retros, Pro Grill with painted color matched caps. Vled interior lights, AJT shift knob
    @driverdog I haven't heard about that, but very interesting. I guess ill give that a try next winter :rofl: as there is no way I can do that now without a lot of work.

After washing the wife's truck (black 4runner) that is coated with ceramic Pro and then doing mine without I might have to get mine coated. It so easy to clean and it always looks amazing. There are just some small issues with coatings that keep me hesitant.

driverdog likes this.
  12. Nov 26, 2018 at 4:33 AM
    War Machine

War Machine Premium Elite Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Crewmax SR5 Blaaaack
    @Redtundra18, Jim covered just about everything in his posts. There are a lot of good products. Maybe if you share your budget, available work time, and skill level we can narrow it down for you. Ceramic coating is always going to be the best bet, but most don’t have the time, skill, or budget for it.

To add to his list, Jescar Powerlock Plus is also a very good product.

I am a fan of layering products, though a lot of people don’t agree. A base of Hydro2 or Powerlock, with Beadmaker or Reload on top have given me excellent results.

driverdog likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top