1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What tires are you towing with?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by 2scars, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Apr 30, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    2scars

2scars [OP] New Member

Member:
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2013 CM Limited 4x4
    I have some pretty new stock size P-rated tires on the truck, but officially they are good enough. My previous truck had load Es, but I can't really drop the $1000 right now unless it is wildly important. The trailer in question is a 5000 lbs camper, with a dry tongue of 600lbs. I am using a WDH so it isn't all bumper weight. Also, I see that there are some p rated coopers that have a load index of 117, that is a XL load rating. Would that be good enough? I am really only pulling 4-5 times a year and never longer than 3 hours at a stretch.

Thanks. Oh and this is a 2013 CM 4X4 Limited.

2. Apr 30, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Your stock tires are rated to handle towing the weight that your truck can tow. No need to upgrade. Just pump them up a bit higher than the door sticker for tows and you will be fine.

shoe07 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  3. May 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    I needed new tires and went with E. I don't think I would have preemptively switched unless the tires were the weakest link. I suspect you will run into suspension travel limitations before tire limitations and a few more psi may tighten them up enough. What is the GVWR for the trailer you are looking at? That is a much more important number until you make it to a scale. Your going to be limited on cargo with that camper. Your tongue weight is probably going to be overweight for your truck. Not by much but it will be. You are probably going to need 1000 pounds bars to get the WDH dialed in. @shoe07 also towes a big camper. You might pick his brain.

I just realized this is not apost for the truck in your profile. This is first gen talk.

4. May 3, 2021 at 1:08 PM
    2scars

2scars [OP] New Member

Member:
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2013 CM Limited 4x4
    I don't think I will over tongue with the WDH. I still need to weigh this truck. I have been towing for years, this truck is the newest and burliest I've towed with. I could easily expect near 800 lbs if you weighed the trailer by its self in the driveway, but that isn't how it works. When you use the WDH its put some of the TW on the front axle of the truck and some on the trailer axle. The weight will be subtracted from payload, but I will go by the book on the setup this first pull at the end of the month. I will weigh it in route also.

5. May 3, 2021 at 3:42 PM
    shoe07

shoe07 New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Double-cab SR5 Tow pkg
    Tongue weight is tongue weight regardless of wdh. If the truck says 800 lb tongue weight then you can have 800lbs. If it has a caveat of a second weight (1000lbs) with a wdh, you still measure the tongue weight as a dead (static) weight, you then adjust with your bars/chains/ bolts depending on your type of hitch and check your gvw, gcvw.

All that business aside I wouldn’t worry about going to an e-rated tire unless the ride feels squishy and unresponsive. I personally inflate my rears from 32psi to 40-42 and my fronts from 30psi to 34-36 depending on how loaded I am while towing.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top