1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What I love, what I hate: My 21 platinum build thread (Now supercharged)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by CrashRat, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Jan 10, 2021 at 10:49 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    I think your right. My problem was from install only had the bass knob. Then I found out like a year later for it to run right you needed to control volume off the fix. Then bought another knob. I can’t remember if the one on my fix was the 200 or another single function like the bass one. But it seems the VXI amp(with or without the fix) and that drc 205 could be the way to go. I can’t wait to hear about how yours turns out.

2. Jan 11, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Platinum silver sky metallic
    Work in progress
    Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense. I think now that you mention it there is a bass-only knob for JL amps. The Fix does have an RJ45 port for its own control knob as well.

All I've done to my system so far is calibrate the Fix. The rear with sub sounds lightyears better than factory JBL. The fronts, I am having some real issues with. Specifically I get no tweeter at all - just door and dash using these three-way speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS1631C/Sony-XS-GS1631C.html. I have swapped front/rear inputs to the Fix, pre-out from Fix to VXi, fiddled with the crossover settings, and still cannot get these things to fire properly. I'm honestly not sure what the issue is. The only thing I haven't tried yet is connecting the fronts (A/B out on the VXi) to the rear outputs (C/D) to see if then I get full range? But as I understand the VXi and tuning software, I believe I can configure all those settings in the VXi itself so there's no reason to start cutting wires and re-splicing just to test it out. I'll post more on this once I have a better handle on it. For now it is pretty amazing to have such killer sound inside the cabin just sitting there and listening to the rears and sub. Can't wait to have the fronts working properly too.

3. Jan 17, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Another long day yesterday. BA muffler on, gun box is in, and suspension done. The suspension ended up being quite a bit more complicated than I anticipated. I've done a lot of suspension lowering on my cars over the years but this was my first time working with a full truck suspension replacement. Everything about this job was awkward, heavy and difficult. My wife did what she could to help though and we got it all on. I still have to adjust the front coilovers up about 2 inches - it wasn't possible for my spring compressors to tighten the springs down enough to get everything put together with the lower perches in their final position. I ordered the adjustment tool from the vendor (I have never bought a set of coilovers before that doesn't come with the adjustment tool?) so hopefully it will be here next week in time that I can still get it in for an alignment. Monday 1/25 I need to drive it down to Portland for my gear/LSD install. I looked into doing that myself and came away with the conclusion it's best to leave that part to an experienced artist.

20210115_085818_resized.jpg 20210115_183850_resized.jpg

20210115_170124_resized.jpg

Ride height before I started. Surprisingly, there was very little rubbing with my 295/60/20's from the old truck even with all the splash guards still installed. The only time it really rubbed was backing up on a tight turn. Of course, these tires also have 40k miles on them now so they're worn down considerably more than new.
    20210115_170106_resized.jpg

Everything that comes from Ironman 4x4. Springs powder-coated a much easier-to-get-along-with TRD red vs the lime green they come as.
    20210115_183814_resized.jpg

This is all the haranguing it took to get the rear axle popped back into place.
    20210115_194256_resized.jpg

20210115_215211_resized.jpg

The right front was considerably easier than the left front. Left side has a bunch of hard lines right where you need to get to when trying to take out that UCA bolt. **An important note: Do not torque things back down until you have the vehicle resting on its own weight again. Otherwise you'll pre-load the bushings at the wrong ride height and prematurely tear out the rubber.
    20210116_105552_resized.jpg

You can see how hard my spring compressors had to work in order to get these coils pulled down. It was not possible to cinch them down enough to get them to the proper ride height so I will have to adjust that on the vehicle later once the coilover tool shows up. Guess it's about time to replace my shop shoes too lol
    20210116_130655_resized.jpg

The back is a lot higher now - I'd say 1.5-2" taller. The front is maybe 3/4" taller. The coilover perches have to adjust up about 2" before it's set at the correct ride height.
    20210117_070954_resized.jpg

4. Jan 17, 2021 at 7:23 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    What an unbelievable mountain of empty boxes
    20210116_195927_resized.jpg

See anything you need?
    20210116_195931_resized.jpg

The pile of things left to put on it is starting to look manageable.
    20210116_204216_resized.jpg

DannyD303 and JRock like this.
  5. Jan 17, 2021 at 7:44 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    Such a great build you have going. Congrats and beautiful work!

2010bigdog and CrashRat[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    I’m very curious how the Ironman suspension rides compared to stock... I’m considering upgrading to this (probably just the coil overs, not full UCAs) but I’m worried the ride will be too stiff for everyday driving... would love your impressions!
    AWESOME build!!

7. Jan 17, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    Krackerjack

Krackerjack New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport Metallic Grey
    Such a cool build to watch.

CrashRat[OP] likes this.
  8. Jan 17, 2021 at 9:47 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Me too! Hoping the extra suspension travel helps it have better road manners than my 3/1 lift/level. I need a deep 22 before I can finish tightening down the shackles in back but I took it on a 2 mile joyride tonight anyway just to see if I could pull any first impressions. It is definitely firmer, but in a good way. Less spring-y feeling when hitting my usual neighborhood bumps. My lift level felt like it never knew what to do with those so it decided to bounce the wheel repeatedly. I was also surprised how much taller the back is now. I thought the Ironman setup was supposed to give about 1.5-2 in back and 3-3.5 up front. Perhaps that is due to the crazy rake angle though. As mentioned earlier the front coilovers are in their lowest possible position so the front is maybe an inch over stock. Possibly the tailgate may be feeling higher just because of that. I'll see what it's like once I get it all adjusted.

I opted to take it sort of easy today and just tackle some simple in-&-back-out stuff. Got the air horn moved over, found my high beam wire, and filled the gun box up for a shamelessly gratuitous photo op.

20210117_161835_resized.jpg 20210117_163628_resized.jpg

Hella dual trumpet air horns I ran for four years on my 2017. I didn't disconnect the regular horns on either truck - the more noise the better as far as I'm concerned. If I have to communicate with any natives, I don't want to be misunderstood lol
    20210117_161849_resized.jpg

High beam wire at the driver's side headlight is blue. The green tap wire goes back into my switch panel and allows me to activate the light bar with the high beams if I choose to do so. With the switch activated I hit the high beams and it's like the sun just came on.
    20210117_165946_resized.jpg

Who can have a gun box without trying to figure out exactly how much it will hold lol. I obviously won't need to drive around with all this gear hanging out back there on a daily basis, but if ever the need should arise at least I know what fits.
    20210117_145535_resized.jpg

I really love that it's totally hidden under the seat. The zombies will never know what hit them.
    20210117_145627_resized.jpg

9. Jan 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Better pic of the front to rear rake. This again is with the front shocks in the lowest possible position - necessary so I could get the springs on. $79 adjustment tool is on order. Overall driving impressions in spite of needing an alignment and not being at final ride height are very positive relative to my old 3/1 lift level. Firmer than stock, but not unruly or overly harsh at all. It still wants to skip a little in the back but being a truck I suppose it's possible there's no way around that. I have been driving lowered cars since I was 16 so the most likely conclusion is that my expectations of what to expect are skewed.

20210119_103611_resized.jpg

MatthewPTguy likes this.
  10. Jan 19, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    Trdwillie14

Trdwillie14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd off road
    2.5 fox 2.5 ads triple bypass T/C uppers Nfab front bumper Westin rear Bajas Rci skids All pro sliders Icon rxt leafs Stt pros Method 701s 37 Mickey Thompson
    Who make the gun storage that’s bad ass

11. Jan 19, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    I agree. it's a pretty sweet box. They make several styles.

https://www.esptruck.com/tundra-crewmax-storage

The gun box is constructed of heavy gauge 2 wall aluminum. Top quality.

12. Jan 19, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    sb9278

sb9278 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4wd
    Memphis audio components front and rear, JL Audio 6 Channel, JL Audio Sound Processor, DD Audio M3, DC Audio Sub XL10
    I am running the Fix 86 as well and can’t seem to get this working as it should. Per my conversation with technical guys at JL Audio they don’t like the Fix in the Tundra(and it’s their product). My truck does not have the JBL audio but assuMing yours does I’d take a look at the plug and play put out by PAC which is made specifically for the Tundras with JBL setup. Install shops are loving this new PAC unit. Keep up the good work your build is amazing

13. Jan 19, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    Man, you've been busy. That's an awesome build. What do you think of the BA muffler and what size did you get?

14. Jan 19, 2021 at 10:14 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Are you talking about the AmpPro AP4-TY12? For some reason that is not listed as compatible with the 20/21 models. It might be worth getting and trying out anyway though if I can't get the Fix working properly. Presently I am not getting tweeter output on my front channels - just the door (woofer) and dash (mid). I have not dug into it very thoroughly yet though.

Thanks. hopefully just a couple more weekends and I'll be done.

I got the dual 8" setup. I like it a lot better than the TRD exhaust I had on my old truck. The TRD had this weird "whump whump whump" sound to it. This one is just slightly louder than the TRD but the pitch is a lot more pleasant to listen to. I'm not presently running the tailpipe sections though so I'm expecting the tone will change once those are added. They are down at the shop getting the surface rust media blasted off of them (they spent 4 years on my 2017) so I can flat-black paint them to match the ba muffler.

BTW, dual is actually worse for low-end tq if you listen to any of Keith's videos (manufacturer of BA mufflers). After thinking long and hard about it I decided to go dual anyway because I was willing to compromise a little power for the look of dual exhaust. I am also regearing this build to 5.29 so that will help offset any torque loss brought about by exhaust choice. I know in my beginning post I said my mods all had to be purposeful, but to me having a good looking truck when I'm done with all this work is definitely purposeful. I'm willing to compromise a few foot-pounds because IMO dual ovals looks a lot better than the single round it came with.

15. Jan 21, 2021 at 2:33 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    I really needed to get my truck aligned this week so I made a trip down to Ironman HQ and picked up my coilover adjuster in person. The guys (and gals) down there are all super cool and extremely helpful. I got some tech notes that I hadn't seen anywhere else so I will publish those for all here once I finish getting everything set up. I'm out in the garage working on it now.

20210120_110829_resized.jpg

AggiePhil, MatthewPTguy and Yzed608 like this.
  16. Jan 21, 2021 at 9:12 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Okay, so I've admitted previously that this was the first truck suspension I've ever done (besides a very simple lift-level on my 2017). After installing the rear suspension twice and the front three times, I am now an expert. I get that it's kind of the thing now but I frankly really hate it when companies tell you to "watch their video" instead of just giving me 2 pages of paper with all the notes I need. Why would I watch a 20 minute video for a piece of information I can scan a page and find in 20 seconds?

Anyway, short of the story is I took the back apart again because I got my shackles in backwards. While I could have lived with it I suppose, the grease zerts were pointing inboard so every time I needed to service them I would have had to drop the spare. that would have been more annoying to me than taking it apart again now and turning them around. To get the shackles off of course you have to unload the springs which means taking everything else back off too. It's done though, and everything is now correct.

The front, well, that end of the truck I made a mistake on where to measure the spring seat height from. Anybody else ordering this suspension, I'll say if you can stand the green springs then definitely have them assemble the coilovers for you before they ship. Getting these springs cinched down enough to adjust by hand was not a fun experiment. all the back-and-forth did give me an opportunity to discover the perfect service position for the front suspension though. what I did is,

1) Once the UCA is loose, raise it and tighten the bolt enough to hold it there.
    20210121_131841.jpg

2) Remove the LCA eccentric bolts and four 17mm sway bar bolts. Support and lower the LCA and hub carrier with a jack:
    20210121_131835.jpg

In this position it was extremely easy to get the coilovers in and out by myself. If I had a 2nd person step 2 probably would not have been necessary.

What Ironman told me when I picked up my tool is, set the pass side at 9 5/8" but the driver's side goes to 9 3/4". Apparently Toyota's are heavier on the driver's side and lean a little if you don't adjust for it in this way. the measurements are taken from the lowest point on the spring seat to the center of the bolt hole:
    20210121_133453.jpg

Back on the ground, set per Ironman measurements:
    20210121_192510.jpg

I won't know until I pull it out and do some driving tomorrow but I'm wondering if I am still going to have a little bit of rake. My garage floor slopes at 1/8" per foot yet my level is spot on.
    20210121_193818.jpg

AggiePhil and MatthewPTguy like this.
  17. Jan 21, 2021 at 9:21 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    My crude but effective method of setting my ride height. Good thing I didn't discard my dynamat boxes yet - they were perfect for this.
    20210121_133356.jpg

MatthewPTguy likes this.
  18. Jan 22, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    First tow - had to go pick up some materials for the garage. Alignment appointment coming today at 3PM (I marked the eccentric bolt locations prior to disassembly so it still drives fine).

Some observations:

1) Hitting those abrupt speed bumps you see in this picture at about 10MPH is very noticeable with this suspension. The dampers do a great job of keeping it under control but rebound is pretty hot. By contrast, I can barely feel the more rolling style speed bumps in my neighborhood.

2) the truck definitely rakes when unloaded. Coming from a lift/level, I wasn't really expecting that. Is that just what lift kits do if you order a similar lift front to back? I will start paying more attention to other lifted trucks I see. The Ironman setup is supposed to give 3.5 lift so maybe what I really needed was 5 up front and 3 in back if I wanted to be level. Hooking my trailer up to it though, it squats right down to perfect. My old truck sagged a fair bit when towing.

3) tows like a dream. Perfectly planted, very solid.

Not a super objective picture because the truck is pointing down hill but you can definitely tell it still has the factory rake. Now it's just 3.5" higher in the air.
    20210122_073638_resized.jpg

My old truck sagged pretty bad with the factory rear suspension. This one drops just enough to level it out.
    20210122_102544_resized.jpg

19. Jan 23, 2021 at 9:40 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Today was PPF day # 1. Progress includes

- R bumper wing
    - Both fenders
    - Grille surround
    - Hood bulge
    - Right side rocker
    - Right bed side

I think I can probably get it finished tomorrow if I put my heart into it.

20210123_114232_resized.jpg

20210123_121107_resized.jpg

I bought a roll of 18" wide x 96" long bulk. Cut it into 9" strips, and then trimmed it up to fit my rocker panels. My 2017 had quite a few
    rock chips down there after only 40k miles. 20210123_125620_resized.jpg
    I came down the bedside to the body crease to protect the bed edge. I got a couple nicks in my 2017 from loading/unloading.
    20210123_150154_resized.jpg

thetastelingers likes this.
  20. Jan 24, 2021 at 11:25 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Got an early start today and finished up my PPF. My first experience with PPF was when I did my 2017. While I was pretty happy with the way it came out, It was pretty nerve-wracking considering the cost of the film and that it took me probably half of the install to feel like I was starting to "get it." That truck took me about 16 hours to do. This one I'm into it for a total of 10 even after adding the lower rockers and bed sides. There's definitely an art form to anticipating what the film is going to want to do and getting it to do what you want it to do anyway.

Ten hours of work and it looks exactly the same as it did when I started.
    20210123_212321_resized.jpg

Patience, heat gun, and alcohol solution.
    20210124_092052_resized.jpg

The only part I haven't done yet is this lower valance. I'm going to repair those license plate holes first. My 2017 I caught before the dealership drilled it but this one I wasn't so lucky.
    20210124_095420_resized.jpg

20210124_095420_resized.jpg

thetastelingers and MatthewPTguy like this.
  21. Jan 25, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    @CrashRat

Thanks for the detailed post about the Ironmans, I've gone back and forth with them and they seemed to suggest that you couldnt lower them any lower than 3.5" of lift. Obviously youre showing otherwise, which is great.

CrashRat[OP] likes this.
  22. Jan 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    @Elduder I did not measure before/after (dummy, I know) but I do have the front coils set to the correct seat height as instructed by Ironman. So this is how they are designed to look. So far I have only put about 10 miles on them but first impressions are pretty good.

Today I dropped the truck off at Six States Distributor's in Portland to have the 529's and LSD installed. Should be ready for pickup tomorrow. Going to try and do a little cleanup out in the garage tonight now that the truck is out of the way. Building a rig like this generates an unbelievable amount of debris to throw away and/or recycle.

20210124_191831_resized.jpg

MatthewPTguy likes this.
  23. Jan 25, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Elduder likes this.
  24. Jan 27, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Picked the truck back up from Six States Distributors yesterday afternoon. I'm currently sitting in it waiting for my next cooldown cycle to finish. I have taken it very easy on it so far of course but I can definitely tell it really wanted these gears. The tech who installed them has done a ton of 4.88's in the Tundras but only a handful of 5.29's. He personally feels the 5.29 is the way to go for anyone running bigger than stock tires. My initial observations are it wants to pick up speed so much easier, no more hunting for gears like my old truck, and cruise stays put right where I set it. Previously it would swing 4-6 mph before finally downshifting and trying to catch back up. Also, mileage seems well-improved. My old truck averaged 11.4 for 41k miles. Doing mostly city driving with varied speeds I have averaged 13.7 since the install.

20210127_160122.jpg

Also, you can pick out my TRD tailpipes under that shrink wrap. I just picked them up from being sandblasted along with some parts for one of my other cars. They had picked up a fair bit of surface rust over the 4 years I rant them on my 2017 so I had them cleaned up and will paint them high heat black to match the BA muffler.

20210127_160207.jpg

25. Jan 27, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Mind letting me know how much it set you back? I plan on doing the same in a while.

26. Jan 27, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    @Elduder sure, no problem.

$1,250 - Gear set (Dirty Deeds)
    $550 - Auburn LSD (also Dirty Deeds)
    $80.88 - 140wt gear oil (MSC industrial Supply)
    $1,435.77 - install (Six States Distributors in Portland, OR)
    $3,316.65 total cost

I'm currently running the 295/60/20's that were on my 2017. They have 41k miles on them so I have 35x12.5's on the way to replace them with. I'll update again with my thoughts after getting those on there.

27. Jan 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sweet, looking forward to hearing what you think after the 35s are on.

28. Jan 27, 2021 at 8:49 PM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Me too lol

29. Jan 27, 2021 at 10:28 PM
    Rodtheviking

Rodtheviking New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vancouver, WA
    2017 Limited Crew TRD, Ironman Pros with JBA uppers. Prinsu rack. RSI, RCI sliders
    Really looking at the Ironman as well, hopefully see you around to take a peak.

Truck looks awesome.

CrashRat[OP] likes this.
  30. Jan 28, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    CrashRat

CrashRat [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    @Rodtheviking Thanks. Cool to see another local Tundra owner on here. You're welcome to swing by any time to check it out and give it a drive. I live right off the Lieser Rd exit on Hwy 14.

I've now driven a couple hundred miles on this setup. It is firm for sure, firmer than I was hoping for - I would call it harsh over some of the potholes I've hit, and I notice any variations in road surface - but it also handles very well for a lifted truck. I feel a lot more in control now when cornering in particular and with less wander over bumps. My old truck really wanted to lean bad in the corners and if I hit any bumps in the corners, particularly with the rear, I would get a pretty annoying jounce out of it as well as walking to the side as the factory shocks tried over and over to re-find their place in the world. The new truck does neither of those things. I don't have any experience to know if it is more harsh, just as harsh, or less harsh than some of the other suspension solutions out there. I am willing to accept the firmer ride over the sluggish handling I had before. I am building this truck to be fairly quick with 5.29's, valve body rework (to get ride of the "clutchy" shifting feeling - shifts will be immediate, more like a paddle shifted sports car), and eventually, a supercharger (Currently unavailable for the 21 model year - Magnuson hopes to release it this spring).

Elduder and MatthewPTguy like this.
To Top