1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Drive Mode is best 2022 Tundra Platinum

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Chris16365, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Jan 11, 2023 at 1:24 PM
    Chris16365

Chris16365 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    As I anxiously await the delivery of my 2022 Tundra Platinum (currently have a 2016 Tundra Platinum) Im noticing the enhanced dash and "drive mode" selections (Sport, Sport S, Comfort etc.) Not knowing much about this stuff wanted to ask what folks feel is the best selection (Drive Mode) for someone that drive almost exclusively on highways and black top roads (in other words, almost No off-road or rough terrain driving, nor do I haul or tow anything). So which mode gives the best (most comfortable) ride?

Secondly, wanted to ask fellow 4x4 Tundra owners, do you drive in "4x4 high" when driving on wet roadways (rain)? I almost exclusively think of 4x4 as something to engage when driving in snow or mud (I never go off road) to get unstuck etc. Recently had a friend mention how I should engage the 4x4 high when driving in wet conditions for better traction? If so, what would be the "highest speed" one could drive with the 4x4 high engaged? Will I see a major drop off in fuel economy? I know 4x4 low is for extremes and getting unstuck and must drive at very low speeds, but Im asking about the 4x4 high option. Appreciate any and all input and opinions on Both questions. Thank you.

2. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:02 PM
    99ways2die

99ways2die New Member

Member:
    Drive mode: custom.
    (Engine=sport, Suspension=sport, Steering=normal)

Don't use 4x4 in rain! Drive like a responsible and safe human being, and don't rely on 4x4 for "extra traction" in wet conditions. You don't need it and while wet roads allow for some slippage, it's not enough, and will make your drivetrain bind....you may get away with it here or there, but eventually you'll break things.

Even if you think "driving in 4x4 during this downpour" will make me safer...it won't. You still have to stop (same applies to snow), and 4x4 won't save you there. Only skill and adequate speed (for conditions) and tires will ensure you won't die.
    Sounds like you never had a 4x4 vehicle before; do some reading and YTubing and don't learn bad habits off the bat.

3. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:28 PM
    PERRY1060

PERRY1060 Hammer Down

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Blk on Blk 22 Ltd 4x4
    TRD wheels, skid plate, black fender flares, mud flaps and running boards. Pirelli Scorpion 275/70/20 Allterrain Plus tires
    I don’t have an opinion about drive modes but agree with 99ways2die. Better to not engage 4x4 in the rain. One addition I would add is 4x4 on ice is helpful for starting from a stop if driving straight ahead with no turns and stability going straight on the highway if you have to drive in bad conditions. The only catch is you have to turn it off before you exit the highway and start making turns to avoid damaging the drive train. It also will not help you stop sooner on ice so match your speed to conditions. Hope this helps you figure out when to use and not use 4x4. Enjoy your new truck

4. Jan 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    RickyBobbysTundra

RickyBobbysTundra New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro
    Not OP but thanks for the tips, all. This is my first real 4x4 (had a Suzuki samurai in college but I beat that thing into the earth) since an array of muscle cars. Good to know facts!

I am gonna print off the suggested modes for each 4L/4h, etc setting, laminate them, then stick them in the glove, so when I encounter a situation, I'll have a quick access guide

5. Jan 29, 2023 at 5:45 AM
    Tundra9271

Tundra9271 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 4x4 DC Lunar Rock TRD Sport
    Think you can shared said “quick access guide” with the rest of us? :)

6. Jan 29, 2023 at 9:39 AM
    MJPlat

MJPlat New Member

Member:
    Comfort is very subjective, just look at the comments about the seats. If you have the AVS, then the different modes will affect how the truck drives and feels. From softest setting to firmest: comfort, normal, sport+. AVS has 3 settings- soft, normal, firm. Soft absorbs road bumps better but allows more roll and pitch. Firm allows more bumps to be transmitted but controls roll and pitch better. Normal is a happy medium.

You'll have to play around with the different settings to see what suites you.

Products Discussed in

To Top