1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Went all out!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SlowTundra11, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Dec 8, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    SlowTundra11

SlowTundra11 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2014 supercharged & lowered Tundra 4x4
    Magnuson SC, Snow Performance progressive meth injection, SOS 4/2 drop kit, 22x9.5 Black Rhino Mozambique, 305/45 Toyo Proxes St3, Stoptech BBK, Stoptech braided SS lines, JBA ceramic coat long tubes & JBA mid pipes, custom dual mandrel bent 2.5" stainless exhaust w/ Flowmaster 40 series, Auburn LSD, CalTrac's bars, TRD front & rear sway bars, TRD performance shocks, Spoolin trans. shift kit, JL Stealthbox, JL XD1000/5, Northstar AGM batt, Kenwood 994s head unit, Kenwood dash cam, Morel Tempo components, sound deadener throughout, Tekonsha brake controller, Rigid dot fog light kit, fog light anytime mod, oem LED headlights, NSV oem DRL panels, 5d carbon fiber hood wrap, TRD Pro skid plate, 1794 color matched bumper, color matched door handles/mirrors, smoked LED tube tail lights, Cargo Glide CG1000, ARE CX topper. + more small mods.
    I can't figure out anything else to do to my 14 Tundra. Driven on street 99% of time, decided lifting and big tires would just kill performance and make truck harder to use. Looks cool, but not practical for a nice truck. 4wd launches are pretty wicked with this truck!

20190727_150451.jpg
    20191207_144855.jpg

Newm, YardBird, Wynnded and 10 others like this.
  2. Dec 8, 2020 at 4:49 AM
    Rgross2112

Rgross2112 ASCM #5: Just like Sick and Disgusting

Member:
    First Name:
    Rush
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver TRD Limited
    Same situation, like the look of a lift and bigger tires but for my driving conditions and use its just not practical. You have a nice looking truck there, don’t see anything wrong at all!

3. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    CincYOTA

CincYOTA New Number

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7 4x4
    Glossy! Definitely a candidate for the "Show us those reflections" thread.

4. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:00 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    First post needs a hearty welcome... Greetings from Central Penna.

5. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson SC, Snow Performance progressive meth injection, SOS 4/2 drop kit, 22x9.5 Black Rhino Mozambique, 305/45 Toyo Proxes St3, Stoptech BBK, Stoptech braided SS lines, JBA ceramic coat long tubes & JBA mid pipes, custom dual mandrel bent 2.5" stainless exhaust w/ Flowmaster 40 series, Auburn LSD, CalTrac's bars, TRD front & rear sway bars, TRD performance shocks, Spoolin trans. shift kit, JL Stealthbox, JL XD1000/5, Northstar AGM batt, Kenwood 994s head unit, Kenwood dash cam, Morel Tempo components, sound deadener throughout, Tekonsha brake controller, Rigid dot fog light kit, fog light anytime mod, oem LED headlights, NSV oem DRL panels, 5d carbon fiber hood wrap, TRD Pro skid plate, 1794 color matched bumper, color matched door handles/mirrors, smoked LED tube tail lights, Cargo Glide CG1000, ARE CX topper. + more small mods.
    Nice, thanks! The truck is a lot happier and will have less wear and tear without big heavy tires anyways. I just put the red/blue TRD performance bilstein shocks on yesterday and it totally transformed the way the truck handles. No body roll at all anymore, made much more difference than front and rear sway bars.

6. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    thetastelingers

thetastelingers Master Baiter

Member:
    Soddy Daisy, TN
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM CM Sport
    In process
    Did you lower it at all, or does it just look like it with the big wheels/tires?

Looks slick

Do you have a list of what you have done with it?

Gunship Guy and Rex Kramer like this.
  7. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    SOS performance (TRD Racing 2" front and 4" rear flip kit)

I just made a huge list of mods when I signed up, not sure how to view modifications list now though. There is no mod I can think of I haven't done, minus all the overlanding parts around.

Juanjoolio007 and Rex Kramer like this.
  8. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    SOS performance (TRD Racing 2" front and 4" rear flip kit)

I just made a huge list of mods when I signed up, not sure how to view modifications list now though. Pretty much everything yo

9. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:32 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Click on my username on two separate pages and under information it has modifications. Still figuring out this forum right now. I've used it for 5 or 6 years, but only for info and not a member.

thetastelingers likes this.
  10. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    I think you can add those mods to your signature line.
    I dig the truck. Probably one of the few that actually uses the skid plate!

11. Dec 8, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Welcome from Oregon!

Truck looks awesome! I keep going back and forth on lift vs lower. The wife’s 4Runner is lifted. I want to lift my truck but with the way life is going right now I highly doubt I’d use a lifted truck. Guess I’ll keep the lowered look in the back of my mind. Wife already said I could lower it. Maybe I finish the performance first then lower it.

2 questions though.

1. What front shocks/coilovers are you running? That was the last piece of the puzzle I was trying to figure out.

2. Did you go 22” or 24”?

Edit found the wheel info.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  12. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list! I put skid plate on to make oil changes easier. They've really made oil changes a pain with the cheap new filter design. Only mod I wouldn't do again is big brakes, they make way too much dust.

13. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Offloading a tundra is silly IMHO - way too big/long, clumsy and expensive for trails. Buy an old taco or 4runner you don't mind scratching or even better a polaris rzr and go anywhere. The only thing a lifted tundra is good for is looking cool, it pretty much ruins every other aspect of truck. Not many places to even legally offroad anymore her in FL, I usually get chased out with a gun. :0

14. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    I don't know about that. But I see your point on some of it as a generalization. I baby my leveled '17. But I hammered and offroaded my lifted '04 everywhere with the family in the Sierra's. The size was perfect for all our stuff and dogs, and our previous Tacoma and 4runner was way too cramped. Ultimately a, LR or GX would have been awesome , but that's a lot of money.
    As far as capability there are quite a few off-road guys on here that have extremely capable trucks.....and you're right, they look cool.

15. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:41 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    I agree, the 1st gen Tundras are way more capable offroad. Narrower, tighter and more nimble. I have an extensively modified 04 double cab too. Much better quality Japanese parts vs Mexican parts... That's why I can't sell it! Had it since 05 - best truck you can buy period!

PXL_20201123_221825583.jpg

16. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:41 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    Great looking fleet...we could use a few more lowered Tundras here...they're purdy when done right (like yours)

17. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Your list of modifications pop up if you hover your mouse/cursor over the bottom of the list of your information on the left side of each of your posts.

18. Dec 8, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Nice looking 1st gen!

19. Dec 8, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Your truck is sick! Perfect stance/wheel/tire combo!!!

20. Dec 9, 2020 at 4:38 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I think so too! The wheel gap in back is 1/4" bigger on rear with my 600lbs worth of tools, topper and Cargoglide. It's nice to look at, but even more fun to drive. In 90 degree weather it put down 480-487 hp at 12 lbs of boost, I'm sure it'd be over 500 in the climate now. Caltrac bars, Auburn Pro, Spoolin shift kit and methanol injection is a must for anybody who drives a SC Tundra in my experience, boost goes from max of 8 to 11-12psi with the methanol :)

21. Dec 9, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    Pkahir12

Pkahir12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pratik
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    Do the performance shocks improve the comfort level on bumps and rough surfaces? I understand they handle well with TRD front and Rear sway bar but do they add comfort at all?

22. Dec 9, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    I haven't tested them out much, but I bet they do. The oem shocks looked like much crappier build quality than the Bilstein TRD shocks. My main improvement is now everything and me doesn't go flying around when I go around a corner. No more body roll. I can take a tight offramp at 50 now and feel totally confident.

Pkahir12 likes this.
  23. Dec 9, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    I decided to keep oem shocks when I installed lowering kit trying to keep ride quality good. I should've put them on at same time hindsight. It was a pain to get them down into lower shock mount , I popped my CV shaft out of hub from standing on lower Arm trying to fit shock in - luckily I got it to slip back together after about an hour of cussing so I didn't have to remove cv boot. The traction bars make my truck ride stiff because it keeps rear leaves tight and doesn't allow them to flex as much. It's worth it though, no torque steer under hard launches and I have very minimal axle wrap that saves U joints and leaves over time.

24. Dec 9, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    SoCal1.jpg
    She's a beauty ~ thanks for posting the pics.

25. Dec 9, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

26. Dec 9, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    Welcome from Nevada

27. Dec 9, 2020 at 7:07 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Can you post a few pictures with details of the traction bar set up, THANKS.

28. Dec 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Light Guy... MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma, Off road, super charged 4x4
    Welcome!

29. Dec 9, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Welcome from the wet side of WA

30. Dec 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    SlowTundra11

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    I sent the SOS flip kit brackets to Cal Trac and they welded tabs to it for the rear heim joint attachment for $50. Works great. Never had one bit of wheel hop and makes fishtailing and burn outs more controllable. Especially with the Auburn lsd. The more parallel trac bars are to ground the better.

PXL_20201209_184611901.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top