1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weather tech window deflectors

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Scarecrow, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    Scarecrow

Scarecrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra SR5 4.7 v8 4x4
    So I got a set of these front and back for my 06 Tundra. I opted for the in-channel versions as they seemed easier to install and be evenly applied. Well The install was very simple but now Im having issues with the one on the drivers door. For some reason the window does not like sharing that channel with the wind deflector and will not go all the way up sometimes. Does anyone else have a set of these and know a fix to this issue?

2. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Not surprised to hear that. I stay away from "in" channels from past experience for that same reason. Alignment issues. Best way to fix it is to return the "in" channels for externals IMHO.

3. Apr 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have zero issues with my AVS in-channel.

4. Apr 15, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I'm just going by my past experiences with in channels on three different vehicles. It's all about alignment. Too tight a fit... the in channels have a tendency to ride right on down with the window or fall out . Maybe not at first, maybe never. I won't use them anymore. Scarecrow is apparently having the same issues I've experienced in the past. He is having issues right from the git go. Best thing is to recheck alignment or go for external version.

Note: It's always a good idea to prep any surface before applying an adhesive or tape in this instance. A newer truck isn't going to have much crap in the window linings. Most in channel instructions do not mention this. An older truck, in this case, will have dirt, etc built up over the years. A little rubbing alcohol/Qtip prep wouldn't hurt before the install. The best way to ensure a good fit is to use the window to do the final set/fit. Use the window to seat the in channels. Don't insert the in channels first and then raise the windows. The window will seat the in channels. Path to least resistance = better alignment. (Or go external and avoid this altogether)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. Apr 15, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    freerider8

freerider8 Trucks Rule

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra, Lift Kit aftermarket wheels and tires. One Badass Toy!!
    Fuel Wheels. Lift Kit. Duel Exhaust.
    I just mounted the ones from AVS on my 04 Tundra and they were perfect. They weren't the in channel ones, they are the stick on version. I have had them before on another vehicle and worked great and last all the time I had it.

6. Apr 16, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    For what it's worth, after I picked up my external fit AVS', I stopped at Home Depot and picked up some 1" X 10' double sided Gorilla tape. I removed the tape on the AVS' and cut to fit the Gorilla tape which is better than the supplied tape. Took an extra 1/2 hour but my visors will break off before they fall off.

5c2f5dd1-5d8d-43ed-8434-b6802e194472_400.jpg

7. Apr 16, 2016 at 3:25 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I have the exact deflectors form weather tech you have with zero issues? I love mine....

Products Discussed in

To Top