1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weak sounding start up?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by Adams awesome screen name, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Jun 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM
    Adams awesome screen name

Adams awesome screen name [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi everyone,

New to this forum, but definitely not new to Toyota tundras. Recently picked up a 2016 CM. Prior i had a 2014 and a 2012 DC, all with the 5.7. So i feel fairly confident when i say, i know what these engines sound like when the start.

Which brings me to my concern. My 2016 has maybe 2500 miles on it, and probably since 700 miles in, on a cold start (first thing in the morning) it seems very weak when it starts- like it sputters to start. Almost as if its misfiring? But it never throws a code and it does always start, idle, and drive fine. Its only on cold start. After its warmed up no issue, normal start.

Any thoughts? Any one else experience this? Does this warrant a trip to the dealer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Jun 15, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Take it to the dealer it's under warranty.. could be a bad cell on the battery going out.

Sean266 likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    r4z0r51o

r4z0r51o 8 more years until retirement

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northeast San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sky Silver Tundra Crewmax 5.7L TRD 4x4
    3/1 Toytec level, 20" Fuel Nutz D251, 295/60 Toyo ATII's
    My suggestion is to use your cellphone and film your condition during these cold starts. If what you say is happening only during cold starts the dealer might not be able to replicate your conditions without letting your truck sit around to cool off. (I hate when the shops say they can't replicate the issue). I don't know if there's a simple battery test they can perform to check for a bad cell, but hopefully that's all it is.

4. Jun 15, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Any auto parts store has a battery checker to check for bad cells. They do it for free.

r4z0r51o likes this.
  5. Jun 15, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    mdavis

mdavis Tiger Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4X4
    Tow Mirrors, 275/60R20 Toyo AT2's
    Sometimes when I start mine it will start, then go to a low RPM for a two or three seconds and then the RPM's will jump back up. Never thought to look at the RPMs while it's doing it but it only does it about 1 out of 20 starts. Doesn't sound like what you are experiencing. Been meaning to ask on here if anyone else's does it? Maybe @LOTSOFTOYS knows?

6. Jun 15, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Haven't really heard of this concern. Might need the battery tested... if your worried about the dealer not duplicating it, drop the truck off. Leave it over night and show up in the morning. Start it up in front of the tech and see if it does it. That takes all your mystery out of it. Can't tell u how many times customers start their own car in front of us, and it doesn't do a damn thing. They get so pissed, but atleast it's not at me. They are frustrated with their car... but they believe us then that we could not duplicate it.

Just to give you the other angle at the equation

Sean266 likes this.
To Top