1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waxaddict spray wax / Opti-Seal (my long rambling digression while answering a question for Pudge)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by War Machine, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jul 12, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    War Machine

War Machine [OP] SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    (Casey Casum voice) In another thread, I mentioned ordering several products from Waxaddict. I got a request from Sean from Connecticut, asking for my opinion on a couple of them.
    And he writes....

I started to reply in thread, but I got to rambling about other products, so decided to just make a new one. Pudge in Connecticut, this long distance dedication goes out to you.

Ok, first of all, I recently did a decon on my truck. A few weeks ago, I began the process to apply CQuartz. Wash, Iron X, clay mitt, eraser, etc. Weather over the last few weeks has been wet, so I didn’t get a chance to put it on. I say this to point out that there was little to no sealant or wax on the truck. I haven’t had a chance to wash it again since, so no Hydro2 or Reload like would normally be on it. (During all the rain lately, I’ve sadly watched the water pretty much stick to it like a damned farmer or caveman.)

I washed it with CG Honeydew foam, then tried four different products I hadn’t used before.

I did half the hood with Lustre, half with Fo Show. Looking at it today, I can’t see any difference between them. I looked at it in different angles and levels of light, and can’t tell where one ends and the other picks up.

I also tried a couple of products I hadn’t used before on the fenders - Duragloss 951 Aquawax on one, Opti-Seal on the other. Visually, I can’t tell any difference between all four.

I did a water test also. Fo Show might have a slight edge in repelling water over the Lustre, but not by much. Though not an exact test, considering the fenders are vertical, the Duragloss seemed to perform equal to the Waxaddict products.

The Opti-Seal by far outperformed all three in repelling water. It was a similar result to Hydro2, though not as effortless to apply. (There is another technique for Opti-Seal I plan to try, which I will outline below.)

The Fo Show felt just a little bit easier to apply, though once again, not by much. It felt thinner than the other two, and spread easier. (It felt pretty similar to Reload.)

So the only benefit any of them may have would be durability, which will take a while to determine. Since the Duragloss and Lustre were thicker, I’d guess they’ll last longer. Keep in mind, I have pretty much never used wax, just sealant, so I’m just guessing.

Based on my small test, I’d just recommend the Fo Show, since it’s cheaper. Someone who uses wax more can chime in on the ingredients in these three. Perhaps the Carnauba in the Lustre gives it an edge?

Back to the Opti-Seal, which piqued my interest a lot more. I’ve watched some videos, and read some reviews. It looks like a very good sealant, and my small test was promising. Now, on a normal full car wash, Hydro2 looks much easier to apply. While the car is wet, spray it on, rinse it off, done. Nothing easier. The fender was dry when I used the Opti-Seal, so I used only one of the recommended methods.

They also recommend it is a drying aid. Before you dry the vehicle, spray some on. I’ve tried this before with other products k and it’s just a pain in the ass. When washing a black vehicle in the Texas heat, it’s a race to dry it before it does on it’s own. I’m generally alternating between rinsing and keeping the whole thing wet so I don’t get streaks and spots. I don’t have time to add another step.

What I’m really looking forward to trying is the other two methods I’ve seen used, which includes a no rinse wash with ONR:

1. Wipe ONR on a panel, then two sprays of Opti-Seal, wipe off. Easy also, but you have to juggle a bit. From what I’ve read, this is their recommended method.
    2. Pour a little Opti-Seal in the bucket with the ONR to begin with. I’ve read about this method on a few forums. Apparently this is standard practice for a lot of detailers. I’m definitely going to try this. If it works well, this will likely become part of my regular routine. Rinseless washes are a very frequent thing for me, so being able to easily mix in a good sealant will be very nice.

Ok, end of ramble. Hopefully it is coherent and a little helpful.

Skippy likes this.
  2. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Dude you're awesome. Thanks so much and that was funny. I needed that today

3. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Wait, before I read this whole thing, do I read the whole thing in the Casey Casum voice? Or do I stop the voice after... "Pudge in Connecticut, this long distance dedication goes out to you."?

landphil likes this.
  4. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Ideally, you stop after the dedication part, put on a Peter Cetera or Bette Midler song, then read the rest.

landphil, Pudge and joonbug[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Searching for a good Bette Midler song right now. Thank you. :p

6. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I didn’t realize there were any good ones.

landphil and joonbug[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Wow, Wind Beneath My Wings made reading this really pleasant! Very uplifting and made me want to go wash my truck!

8. Jul 12, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I went with Vanessa Williams’ Save the Best for Last.

joonbug[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top