1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wax Removal

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Ckatz53, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Jan 31, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    www.fouroneodetailing.com
    Doing research because I'm hooked, and I'm getting some conflicting information.

Looking for a wax remover for future projects (I like to stock up ahead of time) so that I can start with a blank canvas when waxing.

What's the best way to do this and a good product to invest in? A spray on wax remover? Just polish? IPA wipe down?

I have a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and was thinking of picking up some CarPro Eraser. Was thinking Eraser followed up with polish then a carnauba/liquid wax follow up would do the truck some justice.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  2. Jan 31, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    I use Meguiar’s rubbing compound to remove old wax and anything else. If it’s still not smooth after that, clay bar it. Then of course apply your favorite wax.

3. Jan 31, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    I have some Meguiars Ultimate Compound as well. Doesnt that require a polish afterwards?

4. Jan 31, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
  5. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
  6. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Google Obsessed Garage on Youtube. Matt is a beast.

7. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    If you compound or clay bar you will need to wax and or polish.

8. Jan 31, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Wait until spring when I start posting my waxing, polishing and clay bar questions. Don't worry, I'll do my best to at least search out and bump an existing thread

I haven't done any of those to a vehicle in 20y, so I'm clueless.

:crapstorm:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Well I got some CarPro Eraser to try it out. After learning Megs Ultimate Wax is a sealant, I want to strip what's on it and reapply a Megs Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax then reseal with the Ultimate Wax tomorrow after spot polishing some blemishes I must have picked up from the carwash before I got into the detailing side of things.

Research has shown the Eraser is considered a pre wax cleaner and has very subtle polishing qualities so gonna start with that and work my way to Megs Ultimate Polish if need be (severely doubtful, they're hairline fist size spots).

Will let yall know if anyone is interested if I wasted my money on essentially an IPA wipedown lol.

Trooper2 likes this.
  10. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Wash it and clay it. That'll do.
    Why do you want to remove the sealant and put on a wax? Wax only lasts a few weeks vs months for some sealants. And you can wax over sealants if you want.

11. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Figured that was my only option if I want to use the Deep Crystal. I'm a rookie at this stuff, dont fry me. :oops:

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  12. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Put the wax right over the sealant.
    You dont wanna do it the other way around.

BravoDeltaRomeo and Ckatz53[OP] like this.
  13. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Cool. So wash, clay the spots that need it, reapply the sealant to said spots, then wax everything?

14. Feb 1, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. Clay the whole truck though. Get a clay mitt or towel, itll go way faster

15. Feb 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    kodiak

kodiak New Member

Member:
    You can "strip wash" with dawn or buy a car wash shampoo that advertises as such. Then clay the whole truck, wash again. Dry. At this point if you need to do paint correction, do it....or apply sealant to the whole truck then wax over it. The sealant's longevity is measured in months, wax is measured in weeks. With the sealants out now, some have so much gloss there's no need for wax anymore.

Ckatz53[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Feb 24, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Most strip washes (Adams, Chemical Guys), do not actually do what they advertise....so I'd not waste time with those. If you're set on trying to strip any existing wax or sealant, you can add some APC to your car soap bucket, or buy some Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash. The claying process will take care of the rest for you. As far as washing again, I've never felt the need to do that, but it certainly would not hurt. Car Pro Eraser will get rid of any leftover oils from the polishing stage, and then apply a quality sealant, like Mckees 37 HiDef, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, of Jescar Powerlock. Top with a carnuba product to increase the depth of color from your paint.

Your next step, or steps, will involve your beverage of choice and a comfy chair.

Ckatz53[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Feb 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Lighter fluid on a MF will easily remove all waxes, just wipe each area once, blank slate then.

Ckatz53[OP] likes this.
  18. Feb 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    SILVER FOX

SILVER FOX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    GARY
    IDAHO
    Vehicle:
    2015 SILVER DOUBLE CAB
    BULL BAR ** FENDER FLAIRS ** TINTED WINDOWS ** VISOR VENTS.....so far. :)
    You do not want to use ANY abrasive..!
    The best I have found is:
    20200226_165002.jpg
    It evaporates slowly, it removes wax, sap, and leaves your surface perfectly clean. It does not affect paint or primer, only wax or grease (from touching the surface with a bare hand or finger.) It is a little pricey, but will last a very long time.
    Use a microfiber towel to apply, and just let it evaporate; no need to soak the surface. Use sparingly.
    This is one of the steps l use when paint preping a car. It is the last step, while the car is in the booth.
    I hope this helps.
    PS: lighter fluid works well also...but it's not sold by the gallon.....:)

Products Discussed in

To Top