1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Washing the beast

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by raylo, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    raylo

raylo [OP] not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    Just got done hand washing the Tundra for the first time and I realize I underestimated how much more of a PITA that is as compared to my old Tacoma. More square feet to wash, higher, and since it is also wider I have very little room on either side due to my lamp post and neighbors' stairs. So, I can see myself maybe once in awhile skipping the hand wash and going to one of those automatic places. Any special considerations with taking a vehicle this size to one of these?

2. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:43 AM
    Black widow TRD

Black widow TRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Tundra SR5/TRD
    Fold in your mirrors.

3. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Skip the auto places. Just do a foam / rinse / power dry if its not too dirty? If its too dirty, then do a 2 bucket contact wash.

4. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    raylo

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Mirrors aren't the issue. The problem is getting the doors open wide enough to get in and vacuum and do the windows. And finding a spot on the narrow side to put my little 3 step ladder to get the roof on that side. Plus, it was funny to watch the mirrors fold and unfold when the water hit the door or tailgate handles. Next time I am going to turn them off.

5. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    raylo

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    I used to do the 2-bucket thing with my Vette. I am not that anal anymore. But if the water is getting really dirty I'll pour it out and put in clean solution.

6. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Go to a quarter wash and bring your own bucket rags and soap.

dondino, Demented Canine and T-Rex266 like this.
  7. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Foam / rinse

ToyoMafia likes this.
  8. Mar 29, 2023 at 9:50 AM
    raylo

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yeah, I have a pressure washer and a foam kit. Firing that up is a bit of a PITA, too, but not a bad way to go. Still need the ladder and still need to get inside to vac and do windows, however. Since I am using a Dyson vac I suppose I could just drive to a nearby park for that part.

9. Mar 29, 2023 at 10:06 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Leaf blower has been instrumental to me. Vast majority of my wash time was taken up by hand drying. You have to strategize drying a large truck more than a car. It takes far longer overall to get it done and if you don't plan it to get fresh water off quickly you get stains and spots wiping down one panel while another is air drying.

I could rinse, scrub, rinse again, and then dry my Challenger in one shot but with my trucks it was always a struggle to get it done quickly enough to avoid water spots. Was doing wash a panel/dry an panel and still struggling. Leaf blower drying has cut my wash time by half or more. I can divide it up by entire cab and then bed or left side of truck and then right side. Soap, scrub, rinse, and have the drying done in a few minutes. Then the same with the other half.

Last few slightly damp spots get finished with a wipe down using detail spray. This avoids water spots and lifts the last few specs of dirt i may have missed.

This cut a significant amount of wash time for me. It's now under 2 hours not including applying wax. Plus the fewer passes you have to make across the truck with towels the fewer swirls you end up with in the long run.

I do my hand wash and wax in spring, another in fall. In between I fill in with the touch-less automated and water-less wash. Touchless is hard on a wax coating so I try to do water less wash wipe down more if can get to it before too much dirt builds up. Every now and then I may fit something in during the summer. My trucks always look clean and have a deep shine but rarely get full hand washes.

Also let me reiterate that I use two different products in these scenarios. Detail spray to finish drying after doing most of it the lazy man's way blowing hot air on the truck. Water-less wash if it's been a week and I'm puttering around in the driveway and notice a little bit of dust or grime build up.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  10. Mar 29, 2023 at 10:39 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    If you have a coin-op nearby, the suggestion by ToyoMafia is a solid one. I've done this before, just make sure there are not a lot of people waiting.....things can get ugly...don't ask me how I know. As far as the ladder to get to the roof.....I climb up in the bed and stand on the edge right behind the cab. I'm only 5'5".....and I can reach the entire roof on my CrewMax. Touchless washes are a good thing...but they still use the same harsh soaps that the brushy ones use.....which can degrade whatever protection you have on the vehicle....even a coating with repeated exposure.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  11. Mar 29, 2023 at 10:42 AM
    gj953

gj953 New Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 Hybrid TRD OR Blueprint
    NoRinse car washes are the way to go! I used to do the 2 bucket, then the foam cannon with 2 buckets... I can do my Tundra in a lot less time with noRinse, and it comes out just as clean!

Tyman likes this.
  12. Mar 29, 2023 at 10:44 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    I enjoy going at night when no one is there. Don’t go Saturday morning. I’ve learned the same lessons as you. Lol

gj953 likes this.
  13. Mar 29, 2023 at 11:15 AM
    Demented Canine

Demented Canine Hiding in the Baffles

Member:
    Extreme Southeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 DC
    Bucket with Grit-Guard, Foam Gun and a Montana Boar's Hair Brush attached to a telescoping Paint Pole.

The Paint Pole is made of Fiberglass and Aluminum. I put some Pipe Insulation over the parts of the Pole that might contact the Vehicle. I've been using this rig for 20 years. The Brush will not scratch the paint.

IMG_2362 (1).jpg

IMG_2363 (1).jpg

IMG_2364 (1).jpg

mlive and Tundra Dude 45 like this.
  14. Mar 29, 2023 at 11:34 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Hard pass

ryanwgregg likes this.
  15. Mar 29, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    Black widow TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Vehicle:
    always be sure not to wear a belt or turn it where it will not make contact on the surface!!

16. Mar 29, 2023 at 1:29 PM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Side note - for the roof.....you can use the Autofiber "Mitt on a Stick". I have one and it is nice....but the pad does get heavy when it gets saturated. I use it for the roof on my wife's Yukon and it does an outstanding job.

17. Mar 29, 2023 at 1:29 PM
    Nbab23

Nbab23 2020 SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 crewmax
    Stillen CAI, DD 8” exhaust, Toytec Aluma coilovers, Icon leaf springs, SCS SR8 18x9 wheels, Cooper Rugged Trek 275/70/18 A/T Tires, Ecoological bumper shellz and grill surround, AJT interior black out kit, AJT shift knob. TRD pro style grill, VLED aqua blue footwell lights, MESO custom dome and map LED lights, swing case, Rough country bed mat, TRD pro headlights and fog lights, Morimoto XB tail lights and 3rd brake light.
    I’m always in favor of the touchless laser wash when I’m not feeling like hand washing and it’s not too dirty. Usually does a decent job. I always avoid the ones that have an undercarriage wash.

18. Mar 29, 2023 at 1:32 PM
    Black widow TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Manuel
    Vehicle:
    I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Tommy Express Wash. it is not touch free, but does an amazing job. Disclaimer it will eventually leave swirl marks.

Nbab23 likes this.
  19. Mar 29, 2023 at 2:25 PM
    Nbab23

Nbab23 2020 SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 crewmax
    Stillen CAI, DD 8” exhaust, Toytec Aluma coilovers, Icon leaf springs, SCS SR8 18x9 wheels, Cooper Rugged Trek 275/70/18 A/T Tires, Ecoological bumper shellz and grill surround, AJT interior black out kit, AJT shift knob. TRD pro style grill, VLED aqua blue footwell lights, MESO custom dome and map LED lights, swing case, Rough country bed mat, TRD pro headlights and fog lights, Morimoto XB tail lights and 3rd brake light.
    My wife takes her van to a drive through automated car wash and I'm pretty sure I have more swirl marks than her van does surprisingly. Both vehicles are black too.

20. Mar 29, 2023 at 2:36 PM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Is it a touchless wash or one with the spinning brushes and cloths? If your vehicle is swirled more than hers, then I respectfully submit you need to improve your washing and/or drying process

Ace96 and Nbab23[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Mar 29, 2023 at 4:12 PM
    Northbound Train

Northbound Train Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 5.7
    I have hard water and it’s hard to get it dry fast enough to not get water spots, so now I only wash it in the rain and let the rain replace the hard rinse water. Works great except I think my neighbors think I’m nuts.

bulldog93, Dhust27 and Nbab23 like this.
  22. Mar 29, 2023 at 4:21 PM
    Nbab23

Nbab23 2020 SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 crewmax
    Ha. Hers is the one with the spinning brushes and admittedly I screwed up bad on the first wash this year. Not sure what I was thinking but I foam cannoned like I always do but didn’t really pre rinse well and then went straight to hand washing with just 1 bucket as I was trying to squeeze it in quickly before the kids came home from school. Looked good until the sun hit it at the right angle and then swirl marks galore. I was pretty jacked. That’s what I get for trying to rush. But I’ve heard that tundras have a notoriously soft clear coat which can make them much more susceptible to swirls. Probably why my wife’s van doesn’t actually have that much as far as swirls go despite having been going to that car wash since we bought the van 4 years ago.

23. Mar 30, 2023 at 5:45 AM
    gj953

gj953 New Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 Hybrid TRD OR Blueprint
    I was watching a video the other day, and the ONR product (rinseless wash) can be added to your hard water to soften it. I've never tried it, but might be an option.

24. Mar 30, 2023 at 3:20 PM
    Tundra Dude 45

Tundra Dude 45 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 4.6L DC 4X4
    8” BAMuffler, TRD airflow accelerator, front window tint/windshield sun stripe, debadged tailgate 4x4 emblem, trimmed mud flaps, antenna removed stainless screw added, TRD rear sway bar, AFE high flow air filter.
    Laserwash/touchless only, you don’t want swirls.

Products Discussed in

To Top