1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vin creation

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by cctxquicksand, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Oct 6, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    cctxquicksand

cctxquicksand [OP] IG - TRDistheWrd

Member:
    Does anyone know at what point a vin number gets created for a newly built truck. I feel like my dealership is dicking me around on a truck they are supposed to have allocated to them. Long story short after putting a deposit down two weeks ago I went in yesterday to ask if we can just go ahead and do the paperwork and I’ll pick up my truck when it arrives and was told that the vin isn’t assigned to the vehicle therefore it cannot be sold. I was under the assumption that the vin is created on the assembly line as the vehicle is ordered to be made. My salesman is insisting that it is placed or assigned at the vpc which he said is a vehicle processing center. So they pull the windshield off and attached the vin plate there? They stamp the frame there? Smells of bullshit to me. I just want to be 100% sure before I cancel and demand my deposit back
    At this point I’m not even sure what my deposit was for if there is no vin attached.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  2. Oct 6, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Sounds like you have some real trust issues with your dealer.

Your dealer should have a rough idea of how long production will take, and he should tell you that. If it runs over that time, then he's missed his promised delivery, and a deposit refund might be in order. If he acts like he has no clue on approximate delivery, then he may be shining you on until he can find the unit you want from another dealer. (Except for the uncertainty, does it matter?)

You should understand that most of the wait time for delivery of a special-ordered vehicle is dead time waiting for the best production date given material and part delivery. It's all scheduled out to all arrive on the production date, and it runs like clockwork. Delivery time of an ordered vehicle depends on the specific vehicle and may be as much as four to six weeks. Actual production time on the assembly line is probably less than a day.

The VIN would be assigned some time before production, but after the production date is scheduled. It is unlikely that a dealer can get that information until the vehicle is actually shipped. Until the time the vehicle comes off the assembly line, it will be referred to inside the plant by "Job Number" (at least that's what GM calls them). My experience with GM was the dealer is informed of the "Job Number".

Assembly plants do not maintain an office full of people to answer dealer questions about future production. Dealers will be lucky if they can learn the production date, and that will probably be late in the process, because it's dependent on supplier deliveries.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  3. Oct 6, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
    Thanks for the thorough explanation. I can be very cerebral at times and tend to over think things. I can see now how things are compartmentalized but I just felt as though I was being stringed along until they could find the unit. I had the sales man show me a picture of there incoming inventory and it cleared it up... well atleast now I have a vin number and can actually figuring my deal out.
    New truck fever gots me thinking all sorts of crazy.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  4. Oct 6, 2020 at 8:20 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I had forgotten that production information is all by computer reports now. It's good that you have a VIN already. Did the report show a scheduled production date?

5. Oct 6, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    shellshock

shellshock Guy who drives a lot

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    You’ll have a allocation and temporary vin (basically an ID for the build). Then once it’s close to the build date you can get the actual vin. Sometimes it takes a bit for the system to update so the build might already be complete by the time you can get the VIN

If you’ve actually got an allocation, they should have an idea of the build date (which sometimes can change).

6. Oct 6, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
    The truck is built already so when he said it didn’t have a vin it really threw me off. That’s when I started to think he was bs’ing me because as shellshock said I would figure it would essentially be an ID for the build

upload_2020-10-6_22-24-54.jpg
    this is what I got.
    It was received today at the vpc and should be out of there in a week and hopefully in my driveway shortly after that

CopFiveO likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Appears from that report that your truck went to production ahead of schedule on 9/28/20, and arrived at the VPC on 10/6/20 (yesterday). I suspect the VIN was assigned 9/13/20 ("UNBUILT BOS INELGIBLE"). The VPC is probably Gulf States Toyota in Houston. If you have any port added accessories or features, they'll be added this week. If you have no additions, then you may get it Friday, Saturday, or Monday. Lunar Rock...Nice. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  8. Mar 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM
    CopFiveO

CopFiveO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Tundra TRD Pro
    Where is that screenshot from? I’m dealing with the same thing with my dealer. He’s saying he is “ordering” my truck to spec, which I know doesn’t happen. I’m trying to pin him down about what he’s actually doing and don’t want to have to pull my deposit and business and try somewhere else.

9. Mar 25, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    cctxquicksand

Member:
    My salesman was able to snap that picture from there computer to show me my allocation was legit.

10. Mar 25, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    CopFiveO

CopFiveO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Tundra TRD Pro
    Thanks, man! Appreciate it!

11. Mar 25, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    cctxquicksand