1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Victory Strike or CBI Baja. Which one?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by BoringAttitude, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Nov 24, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    BoringAttitude

BoringAttitude [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Limited Crew Max
    K02 275/70/18 on ATX AX201, 6112's, Blah Bla
    Good morning all!

I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the CBI Baja and Victory Strike bumpers for my Tundra. I'm leaning towards the CBI but am not completely sold yet.

CBI concerns: Heavier than the Victory. CBI claims about 175 lbs, Victory claims 110 lbs. Not sure how this will affect the front end of the truck. Currently running Bilstein 6112's. CBI also has a lead time of 3 months which seems crazy but it is what it is.

Both are running a 10% off special for black Friday. With shipping they are within about $20 of each other so cost really isnt a factor. CBI is nice as they would ship directly to my house vs. Victory would go to a hub.

Experience and thoughts?

2. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:16 PM
    BoringAttitude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well... I ended up going with Victory. Overall I liked the simpler lines and lower weight. Wasn't an easy decision. If C4 would offer powder coating I may have gone that route. Now the wait begins!

3. Nov 28, 2020 at 3:29 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    I would cancel that victory order and get the C4 through @Truck Brigade. Victory has had so many issues they were removed from this forum as a vendor if you didn’t know already.

I have the C4 and Bilstein 6112 with a Warn winch and fog lights and 30 inch light bar and have no issues yet with sag or anything.

As for powdercoat, don’t waste the money, just get the Krylon truck bed liner and some rustoleum etched primer. Prime it, wait a few minutes and spray with the liner. This way if it gets scratched or dinged you just touch it up whenever. Looks just as good as PC or paint also.

Yoder18, equin, Darkness and 4 others like this.
  4. Nov 29, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    YotaBro

YotaBro This forum will make me broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD PRO
    Lots of shenanigans.
    I just ordered my C4 front bumper, how is your paint holding up? Do you have any pictures of it?

5. Nov 29, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    Zero One Actual

Member:
    I will get you pics tomorrow. I don’t have paint or powder coat. I use Krylon spray on bed liner on the bumper and my sliders. That way I just touch up as necessary.

YotaBro[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 29, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    YotaBro

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Nice! How often are you needing to touch it up? Just out of curiosity did you try for any qoutes? If so, what were they quoting you? I planned on calling local companies first thing in the morning.

7. Nov 29, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    The C4 option is off the table now. They pulled the bumper sale today.

As for paint or pc, I think it all depends on how your use the truck and how much effort you wan tot put into it on an ongoing basis. If your local shop can do pc at a good price, it is by far the best option. Painting will scratch and chip much more easily. If your in a salt area, you will need to make sure all scratches and chips are covered.

8. Nov 29, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Zero One Actual

Member:
    $300 for powder coat. I’ve heard $250 also. I have not had to touch up anything yet because I have not run into or over anything yet.

9. Nov 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    That's why I think how you use the truck matters. Clean trailing without overgrowth and small shrubbery can be clean. However, overgrowth trailing mixed with weekday interstate travel would be more prone to scratches and chips. This is where I think pc is more appropriate.

You are right in that a local shop could be expensive. I think my local shop would charge 400-500 for a bumper. However, CBI and Victory only charge 150-225.

10. Nov 29, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    YotaBro

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Have you had any issues with your C4 bumper? I have 24 hours to cancel if I decide to swap over to CBI.

11. Nov 29, 2020 at 4:45 PM
    Zero One Actual

Member:
    Check this thread
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/c4-fabrications-prototype-tundra-bumper.44535/

I have had zero issues but I am also probably the newest owner of the bumper. It’s only been two weeks since it arrived. The above thread should relive your stress you are feeling for such a large investment. Luckily both bumpers seem to have all positive info coming back from forum members.

YotaBro[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 29, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Zero One Actual

Member:
    I live in the south east and frequently am driving “over” small pines and baby trees and narrow state park trails to get to fishing or hunting spots. I was looking into powder coating or painting until I saw the Krylon spray on bed liner on some sliders and other bumpers from @BashFab fabrication in South Carolina. If it scratches (bumper or sliders) just blast it. Sounded scary at first but it really is high quality and looks great. It’s been raining here but I will get some pictures of the finish. Think of a gentle Line X or Rhino line finish that isn’t too aggressive like the guy who does his entire Jeep with it.

13. Nov 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    YotaBro

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Thanks man! I realized that I was already apart of that forum... I think we've messaged each other before, lol. I think that I'll stick with C4. I was torn because a bunch of youtubers run CBIs but I think that is because they are sponsored by them. If local shops charge a crazy amount, I might just paint it myself and do touch-ups here and there. Looking forward to March now!! :)

14. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    BoringAttitude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I still ended up going with Victory. I chatted with another member who runs their products and has nothing but great things to say about their products. I did call them out regarding a post I saw on here about the park sensors not fitting correctly and I was told that it was a first production run issue and has been resolved. I too checked local powder coating from a well known outfit and they quoted $350 - $500! I wasnt interested in spray painting as it would be a PITA to get all the nooks and crannies to avoid corrosion. There is not a ton of feedback on here regarding thieir bumpers so I trolled around on a Tacoma forum and had nothing but positive feedback. I'll post up once it arrives, installed and some pics!

YotaBro and RobertD like this.
  15. Dec 4, 2020 at 3:44 AM
    Zero One Actual

Member:
    Krylon Spray on bed liner is amazing. I just did my sliders and C4 Fabrications bumper. It will save you hundred of dollars and wait times on a shop and when it gets scratched you just touch it up and you’re done.

BashFab likes this.
  16. Dec 27, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    Yoder18

Yoder18 Veteran underwater basket weaver

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Front range Colorado
    Vehicle:
    18 tundra trd off-road
    •Toytec Radflo 3” with 1.5 shackles •+25mm icon rebound wheels matte black. •Prox15 tonneau/Softtopper •315/70r17 ridge grapplers •Wheelers front bumper stops •Spray in bed liner •Vleds floorwell leds front and back and interior led kit •Boss front bumper spacer •First choice fabrication welded sliders •8” ss dirty deeds exhaust •Tech12volts remote start with carlink •Vleds front turn signals leds •AFE pro dry s air filter •Baja xl sport amber fogs •Victory 4x4 strike bumper w hoop •Ajt designs chrome delete for vent rings and cup holder/gear shifter (black) •Wet okole seat covers •Husky floor liners •RCI skid plate and transmission skid •Jomax SpEed sensor guards •Rear diff breather location mod
    Hahah must be nice! They still won’t make mine right. Bastards

Hightide likes this.
  17. Feb 7, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    I was set to go with Victory but after reading some stuff on this forum about the roof rack fiasco and some other compressor mount stuff I will just spend my money on the C4 one.

Got local quotes of 400-500 for powder coating, I'll be doing the spray on bed liner so I can touch up as needed. Also if I drill in holes to add lights in extra spots I'll have the ability to seal it since I don't have a PC oven

18. Feb 7, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    Yoder18

Yoder18 Veteran underwater basket weaver

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Front range Colorado
    Vehicle:
    18 tundra trd off-road
    •Toytec Radflo 3” with 1.5 shackles •+25mm icon rebound wheels matte black. •Prox15 tonneau/Softtopper •315/70r17 ridge grapplers •Wheelers front bumper stops •Spray in bed liner •Vleds floorwell leds front and back and interior led kit •Boss front bumper spacer •First choice fabrication welded sliders •8” ss dirty deeds exhaust •Tech12volts remote start with carlink •Vleds front turn signals leds •AFE pro dry s air filter •Baja xl sport amber fogs •Victory 4x4 strike bumper w hoop •Ajt designs chrome delete for vent rings and cup holder/gear shifter (black) •Wet okole seat covers •Husky floor liners •RCI skid plate and transmission skid •Jomax SpEed sensor guards •Rear diff breather location mod
    Great choice!!

Products Discussed in

To Top