1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibration/hopping during braking.

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by angrygopher, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Mar 27, 2021 at 9:05 PM
    angrygopher

angrygopher [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra
    Greetings!

New user here. Have an issue with my 05 access cab 4WD and looking for some advice. Its intermittent, but i'm getting a strange bouncing when under moderate to heavy braking. At first I thought it was warped rotors, but I've changed the front rotors TWICE. I thought I may have gotten a bad set, but the vibration is still there with the 2nd set.

Also had the rear drums turned and serviced, thinking it may have been coming from the rear, but that didn't make a difference either. I can hit the e-brake at 50+ mph and the truck slows smooth as glass. Therein lies the first strange symptom: Using the emergency brake is always smooth, but regular braking causes the pulsing.

The other strange thing is it isn't consistent. I can hit the pedal on the highway and sometimes she'll slow down like shes a brand new truck. Other times I'll hit them and the truck will go into a bouncing fit, hopping up and down. Its not in the steering wheel, either; its the whole front end. It almost feels like death wobble.

I don't regularly tow anything, and it doesn't matter how long i've been driving or how hard I've been braking beforehand. It can be the first stop at a red light in the morning, or the last in the line of a dozen stops when the brakes are good and hot. Sometimes its there and sometimes its not, sometimes its really there, and has me almost hitting my head off the roof.

Only other symptom I notice is there has been a weird, low "rumbling" noise coming from under the cab since this started happening. Its very faint, but its noticeable while cruising. Carrier bearing looks good, all the joints are greased, slip joint moves back and forth nicely, there's nothing to indicate any axle issues, but.. I don't know. I thought maybe it was a wheel bearing and took it to a mechanic buddy to look at, but after a quick ride and came back scratching his head. Said bearing play wouldn't cause bouncing like that. He's stumped, and I'm a little concerned.

Thoughts?

2. Mar 27, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Any of the calipers hanging up? I’d also check all your bushings on the front end (sway bars, control arms, etc).

3. Mar 27, 2021 at 9:16 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    i have a similar issue, but mine is consistent at 40 mph hitting the brakes.. doing the ECGS needle bearing after seeing how much my axle flops around on the driver side. just havent had time to do it recently

i've done new brakes, carrier bearing, ETC.

SouthPaw likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    Nick T

Nick T New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Check your control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends.
    Sounds like "sometimes" when you brake, the arms are set and do not bounce, other times the arms are bouncing around because of the torn bushings and or the rack has loose tie rod ends causing the whole truck to vibrate.

My guess is tie rod ends.

MT Madman likes this.
  5. Mar 28, 2021 at 3:04 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    Also when was your last alignment?

6. Mar 28, 2021 at 6:28 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Concur with the others on worn suspension components. I would go through the front end bushings and ball joints. Also check the U-joints in the driveline. When was the last time the brakes were bled and adjusted? If the rears aren't engaging the fronts are doing all the stopping.

7. Mar 28, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Miles on vehicle? History of suspension work or original?

8. Mar 28, 2021 at 7:52 AM
    angrygopher

angrygopher [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra
    I'm at 137K. Last alignment was last spring when I put new tires on and replaced the factory struts at 120k. (I went with stock bilsteins) Was inspected in the early fall by a dealer, who actually commented how clean the truck was underneath. Neither they, nor my mechanic mentioned anything looked worn, but I'm going to take it back and throw in on his lift and check the front arms and tie rods this week. Would a worn bushing cause the rumbling, though?? That's what's throwing me off.

9. Mar 28, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Unsure. Mine didn’t rumble with a tired front.

Calipers could seize/unseize. Check by Hand for overheating on the Caliper during this condition to rule it out.

My 13WE Calipers had a couple seized pistons in the unbraked position. Discovered this during new Calipers install upgrade to 13WL.

10. Mar 28, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Worn bushings definitely could, but that tends to be consistent

Products Discussed in

To Top