1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve cover leak- Blue Devil Stop Leak?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tundrainsc, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    tundrainsc

tundrainsc [OP] Happy Tundra 1st Gen

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Limited 4.7 2WD
    My 06 Tundra 4.7 has slight valve cover leak. It has 162k and I drive it on average 4k yearly. Anyone ever use blue devil oil stop leak? Trying not to spend $500.00 to get the gaskets replaced. If stop leak is not a good idea, I might try to replace the gaskets myself if the job is not too difficult.

2. Apr 13, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    While his accent gets to some folks, the man does a good job and who I watched when needing to do it. I'd watch a few Youtubes to give you a good idea to determine the difficulty. Big bucks can be saved if you take that leap and do it yourself. I was told I couldn't be a Truck Gang member unless I tried :notsure:

Don't be in a hurry and it should all go well !

Toyota Valve Cover Gasket Job Tips & Tricks - YouTube

GeezePlease, Voss and tvpierce like this.
  3. Apr 13, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    fbingha

fbingha New Member

Member:
    Bakersfield, CA
    I noticed this on my 4.7 06 at 245,000 miles. I could remove the bolts by hand, they were so loose.

04DCTundraMan and Voss like this.
  4. Apr 13, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    Dr Doobie

Dr Doobie Growing member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Talkeetna,Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '07 RCSB 5.7 SC'd 4x4 SSM
    I have faith you can do it, It's a simple job. get yourself a old school chilton manual, read about your task, and dive into it. Follow the instructions step by step and in no time at all you'll have it done.
    And if you any problems along the way there are countless people on here that will gladly give advice. But please don't put any kind of tune-up in a bottle or sealants in a bottle in your poor tundra. :) good luck my friend.

MS22 likes this.
  5. Apr 13, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    That guy's awesome! He's professional, smart, methodical and does a great job. I've seen people here link to Scotty Kilmer :rolleyes:, who's f'in annoying, frequently incorrect, and couldn't find his ass using both hands.
    If that guy from the ToyotaMaintenance YouTube link was in my area, he'd be the first person I'd take my truck to for work.

6. Apr 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM
    Voss

Voss Dust in the wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Valod
    Vehicle:
    2003 AC TRD 4x4
    If I can do it, you can do it! But first, check to see if the bolts are tight... they get very loose and could possibly be the reason for the leak. Worth a try

KNABORES, BubbaW and RustyShackle323 like this.
  7. Apr 13, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    tundrainsc

tundrainsc [OP] Happy Tundra 1st Gen

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Limited 4.7 2WD
    Thanks for all replies. I don't have torque wrench. But I tightened all the bolts with a ratchet wrench wrench as tight as felt comfortably and not risk too tight. Also watched Tvpierce's youtube link. Looks like something I could do. Only concern is moving things out of the way to get access to the valve covers without running into problems unforeseen. The blue devil additive has good reviews on some other sites. Is the high mileage oil sold by some major oil companies just regular oil with additive like Blue devil? Is high mileage oil also a no no ThcAk?

8. Apr 13, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Snug 'em up to 53 in/lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench then gently tighten until they stop turning with light pressure, don't crank them down or they will snap off. If that doesn't fix it, new gaskets, don't use any stop leak product on a vehicle you care about (aside from maybe power steering stop leak). Penny wise and pound foolish the saying goes. Not the place to save money.

w666 likes this.
  9. Apr 13, 2021 at 6:19 PM
    Dr Doobie

Dr Doobie Growing member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Talkeetna,Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Amsoil all the way for me, I don't think they offer high mileage

10. Apr 13, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    Toyoda Tundra

Toyoda Tundra Boxing and Tundras

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2WD 2004 AC Tundra. V8 strong
    You can do it. I did mine not too long ago. Once you do the first side you’ll realize how easy it was, harbor freight has torque wrenches at a good price, if you’re interested. There's some good YouTube videos that can help you aswell. You’re r gonna be happy you saved that $500

Voss likes this.
  11. Apr 13, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    Dr Doobie

Dr Doobie Growing member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Talkeetna,Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Think about getting yourself new spark plugs boots, (use die electric grease when they go back on), and replace them while you're in there because the coil packs will have to come off for v/c gasket replacement. might as well do spark plugs also if the haven't been replaced in a long time.

Smily likes this.
  12. Apr 14, 2021 at 9:04 AM
    Smily

Smily New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 tundra v6 pain in arse suicide door
    Someone put a crappy stereo in it
    You can do it. It's not as daunting as it looks. GET A TORQUE WRENCH OR RENT ONE PEROID. Guess torquing could well be the reason you have a minor leak now, dont do work and spin the wheel of chance. My reason is if you do decide to do the work yerself and complete it you will feel like a god, but if you complete it and then develop a leak or more leaks you'll feel like crap and have doubts. By the 18$ book tighten in correct order and gain yer independence. Unless you have $$$ to throw around this wont be the last thing to go wrong. And wen you remove the plenum and clean all the gunk out and the same with ur throttle body YOU WILL SEE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

GOOD LUCK

Edit... I had blown head gasket and figured wat the hell and did it so think big go for it not to much u csn screw up, except NOT USING A TORQUE WRENCH lolol

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  13. Apr 14, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    Smily

Smily New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 tundra v6 pain in arse suicide door
    Someone put a crappy stereo in it
    YES, while ur there also new plus wires and plugs, and well check the resistance on the 3 spark things on left side there name escapes me (1st cup coffee) that's easier than it sounds way easy. It's a while ur there deal and again well worth it.

14. Apr 14, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    For a valve cover leak I would try to fix that myself. On another note that blue devil stuff is no joke. Many years ago we put that in an old Toyota pick up that had a blown head gasket (22re) that thing sealed it up and ran for over 150k more miles until it got crashed.

Products Discussed in

To Top