1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used supercharger advice...is it complete?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Hugemoose, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    Hugemoose

Hugemoose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Hey everyone, so I'm looking at a used TRD supercharger I found. The guy removed it from his friends 2013 Tundra and he believes it has around 30k miles on it. It is obviously dirty, and it's from the North East so the aluminum is a little pitted but I don't care about that, that's just life here in the NE.

I'm hoping some Supercharger guru's could point out these components and if they see anything missing. He did say it is complete, but is missing the airbox, so I would have to source that and the coupler to the throttle body.

I'm not afraid of replacing any hoses or parts if needed, and I can do the install myself. My main concern is if major pieces are missing that will be hard to source. And the other big factor is I have a 2016. So are there any bracket or mounting issues I'll have being it came from a 2013?

And before anybody just says "buy new"......no thanks. This is a tiny fraction of a new one, and even if it needs a full rebuild it'll be worth it. I like my money to work for me as best I can, so I always shop used.

Also, and forgive my ignorance, but will I need a new fuel pump and injectors? I'm a turbo LS guy, so I'm handy, but have never dug into these engines.

I'll attach pictures that should show everything he has. Thanks guysScreenshot_20210224-173853_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210224-173857_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210224-173900_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210224-173906_Facebook.jpg received_150540920207832.jpg received_237198848062508.jpg received_846302479551231.jpg received_772784536670627.jpg received_237198848062508.jpg received_750229822284955.jpg received_708631513155956.jpg received_253507249604776.jpg

2. Feb 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    Some hoses are missing like the pcv hose off the blowers triple vacuum ports, not sure what that canister thing is, I don't see the oil lines (they're silver metal lines in a pair) but those are easy to make (I modified my stock hard lines then ran tube down to the oil cooler, where as the replacement is to run hard lines the whole way), there's no injectors or pump (should be green injectors that are considerably shorter than stock tan ones, the pump you can just buy from URD of whoever), looks like the intercooler hoses to the rear of the blower aren't there, I don't see the intercooler reservoir unless it's that canister but I don't know why there'd be nipples on the bottom and I don't see the big inlet and outlet nipples, there's no tuner (not a big deal, lots of options for that), no intake as you said ($500 for a new one, or you can modify your stock one or an aftermarket though you'll see increased IATs). That covers what I see/remember at first glance.

When I've talked to Magnuson about getting parts they said to talk to Superchargers Online (I bought my intake assembly and later had them rebuild my blower) and they should be able to get you any piece parts you want. Big things are injectors, tune, and routing the oil lines will take a little fabrication/tweaking (assuming you don't buy them). I bought my supercharger used, it was missing the oil lines and tune and intake and fuel pump. I modified an air raid intake to work, bought an aeromotive 340 from URD, fabricated the stock oil lines and some little brackets to hold everything, and then found a local shop that had the cables to work with techstream and they let me use my laptop and figure out how to flash the TRD tune onto the truck. You have a bit more work to piece stuff together but not much. Injectors from what I've seen run about $500 for the TRD greens though there's others, that's just what comes with the blower normally.

I'm not sure what differences, if any, a 2016 has vs the earlier years.

3. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Yes, I too see that the water lines that run down to the oil cooler are missing. They're what @snivilous is calling oil lines, I just call them water/coolant line because that's what they convey. I purchased my blower used as well and it didn't have those lines, in my case I was able to replace them in their entirety with hoses.

I've seen pictures where the intercooler reservoir is mounted in two different locations, one up by the blower on the driver side, and one down by the radiator support depending upon year. The earlier one by the radiator, and then later moved up by the blower. Maybe it's a 2nd - 3rd Gen thing. The unit I purchased was removed from a 2016 and my truck is a 2011.

Something else that I found to be different were the upper mounting tabs on the intercooler, but that can be figured out easy enough.

You can actually purchase the hose kit where it includes some pre-bent hoses. That really helps on the short ones so they don't kink. Some need to have right angle bends.

I see something that looks like an old school ignition coil. I don't know wth that is...

You didn't mention if your truck is Flex Fuel or not, if it is, it's my understanding that you would not need to replace the pump and injectors.

I don't see the serpentine belt either, but here's once source:
    5081125 DAYCO S/C'd Replacement Serpentine Micro V Belt – V-Belt Guys

Here's the link for SuperchargersOnline, I thing I purchased a water crossover pipe from them, but I see one in your pictures:
    SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

Here are all the installation manuals that I have bookmarked. Probably want to read through them to see if they give you any hints about what else you may be missing or need.
    TRD Tundra Supercharger Installation Instructions | Throttle | Fuel Injection

Microsoft Word - MY14 Tundra 3UR 5 7L Supercharger IssA

PTR29-34070inst.pdf

89-89-67-003_RevF_Tundra_5.7L.indd

@snivilous, weren't there some little bits of wiring and a relay as well? I recall bolting something to the driver inner fender above or near the fuse box....

I'm sure that other things will be noticed.

Sunnier, Sean492, snivilous and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:02 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    @snivilous and @Wynnded gave some great info. Don't be afraid to pull up the parts list (linked above) and go through all the parts before you buy to truly see what is missing. Also, don't forget the spark plugs.

snivilous and Wynnded like this.
  5. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Oh ya, spark plugs. Missed that one...

AZTundra[QUOTED] and snivilous like this.
  6. Feb 24, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    Yea, there's wiring and a relay that taps into the fuse box for the intercooler pump (iirc that's the only wiring that's added in) but the picture with the intercooler radiator and pump looks like it has a wire loom zip tied in there so I figured the whole deal was included... But good thing to point out.

That's good to know coolant runs through those lines, for some reason I was convinced they had oil :D do they run to the oil cooler and that's the connection I'm referring to?

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:48 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Yes, I think that we're thinking of the same ones. The A/C compressor had to be loosened up to remove the original lines, ring a bell?

Of note though, not all trucks have an oil cooler and thusly won't have or need those lines/hoses. I'm not sure if it's a Tow Package component or not.

snivilous[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 25, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    Hugemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Thank you guys for all of the links and parts examination. I'll be studying up on that installation manual as that should give me a good idea on what might be missing. And yeah some if some hoses are missing from the heat exchanger to the supercharger for the coolant, that will be an easy find.

I am a little lost, as you guys seemed to be to, on what that other canister is with the vacuum lines and solenoid. It almost looks like a charcoal canister of some type. And if there is supposed to be a reservoir for the supercharger coolant that should be easy to find something, even a universal tank of some sort would work. Knowing I'll need a fuel pump, injectors, and an air box will certainly drive up the cost too.

If what this guy has is too much of a rats nest I'll walk away. I don't mind some work, but within reason.

Thank you again guys, I appreciate the experienced input.

9. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    Hugemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Thank you for all of the help guys. I think I am going to pass on this unit. It's not a horrible deal, but after looking at the parts list, and seeing what is missing, especially the big ticket items like the injectors, air box, fuel pump, coolant reservoir tank and hoses, it'll all but double the cost of what I would be buying this unit for. And then of course I also need a tune. And with the unknown mileage (supposedly 30k), and potential repairs it may need, it's not worth it to me.

I have a friend who works at a performance shop and can get me a brand new Maggie for $700 off retail. At that point we're talking a couple hundred bucks for an entirely brand new blower including the tune. I think I may just go that route.....next year, with next year's bonus check :D This year I still need my lift, wheels and tires lol

Thank you again everyone :cheers:

Wynnded and snivilous like this.
  10. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    Out of curiosity what was the guy asking? For reference I got mine for $3000 and was all in probably $3500 after miscellaneous parts.

11. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM
    Hugemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    $2800. I could probably talk him down some, but with the costs of all the extra parts needed, it just doesn't seem worth it. Especially with it being a guessing game on the mileage on that blower.

I love buying used stuff and fixing it. I've never bought a new car, snow blower, lawnmower, or literally anything with an engine new in my life. I love fixing stuff, but this doesn't seem like a real deal to me.

12. Feb 25, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    Everyone that has bought used superchargers..... did y'all all purchase them on ebay, or where? The rebuild kit isn't expensive at all on these either.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Feb 25, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    Hugemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    You might get lucky on eBay, but most deals are probably local, like the one I found. Even the one I found was 3 hours away. And yes the rebuild kit isn't too bad so long as you have everything you need already.

14. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    So.....Craigslist? How did you come across it?

15. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    My buddy found mine on instagram and sent me the link. All the other ones I've seen are on ebay. You can get just the blower unit for like $1000-$2000 pretty routinely, not sure how expensive or how much of a bitch it'd be to piece all the other stuff together.

16. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    Hugemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Not enough....
    Facebook marketplace in this case. They are extremely hard to find. And most guys just sell the truck with them on since it's a big job, for most, to pull off. Most guys just pay for an install, then obviously don't want to pay for an uninstall.

Yeah the complete "fit kit" if you have just the blower itself, is $2800. And that still isn't a tune if you have to pay for one.

Damn injectors alone are $600-1000 for what I found. I'm so used to LS stuff lol. Tons of options and prices.

I hate buying brand new things, but for a few bucks over 6k I can get a new one. Might just be easier unless I find an actual complete one somewhere like you did. $3-3500 complete like what you found is a lot better of a deal for sure.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top