1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo issue

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Lowcountry4x4, Jan 9, 2022.

1. May 26, 2022 at 11:14 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Don't say that. The head liner and ambient lighting is what I'll miss most.

chaztizer likes this.
  2. May 26, 2022 at 11:30 AM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

TheLordwoulddriveaTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4WD, Mag Grey
    Talons Cat Plate Tuff Skinz Inserts RetraxOne XR Bed Cover Premium Shield PPF Revivify Coating OEM Console Safe WeatherTech Mats
    The contrast between the black/smoked chrome and the supersonic is really nice.

jimbopatriot likes this.
  3. May 26, 2022 at 2:30 PM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB SR5 4x4
    I think the platinum comes with the best wheels out of them all. Stock wise at least.

4. May 26, 2022 at 2:59 PM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Talons Cat Plate Tuff Skinz Inserts RetraxOne XR Bed Cover Premium Shield PPF Revivify Coating OEM Console Safe WeatherTech Mats
    Most definitely. Hides brake dust and road grime better. As long as you can keep them off curbs and the service dept. doesn't damage them ripping off lug nuts. I plan to take before and after photos of the area around the lug nuts before and after rotations just in case.

jimbopatriot likes this.
  5. May 26, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    rideandfly

rideandfly New Member

Member:
    12/21 build date on our 2WD SR5, About 1500 miles towing a 4900 pound travel trailer, Over 6500 miles total with 0 issues, Great Pickup!

TF_CC and jimbopatriot like this.
  6. May 26, 2022 at 3:33 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Tire installer absolutely roasted my first ever set of after market wheels when I was in high school.

I’ll never forget it, it was like the impact wrench was dancing around the holes.

7. Jun 5, 2022 at 6:02 AM
    kmangino47

kmangino47 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 limited TRD off-road
    waiting waiting waiting to take delivery
    Any thing on failures from anyone that follows the FB groups? it seems that perhaps this was just a bad batch of parts that have run their course? Having an early build 01/07 I have been following this closely, so much so that when i got a CEL a month ish ago i was convinced it was turbo. (front air dam issue corrected with software update in less than an hour at the dealer). im over 3000 miles and truck is solid. Just wondering if there ever was a final disposition on this wastegate issue or will we never know?

8. Jun 5, 2022 at 6:59 AM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Seems it's run it's course. I don't believe it was that widespread to begin with. Personal opinion, probably less than 0.5% of trucks had the issue. Obviously zero evidence to support that because Toyota won't disclose, but that's what I believe. Like you I haven't seen or heard of any in quite a while, but I have seen some pop up that had March and April build dates so who knows. Mine was built in March, so I always have a tiny bit of fear in the back of my mind that it may happen to me. But aside from the fuel gauge bouncing back to full a couple of times and a parking sensor coming loose, I've had no problems at all with my truck.

9. Jun 5, 2022 at 7:47 AM
    Jb357

Jb357 New Member

Member:
    We'll most likely never know the true cause, number effected, or how they fixed it. They've sold every one they've built before they even left Texas, most were sold before they even got built so I don't see a reason for Toyota to make a PR move to smooth things over.
    Mechanical issues and fit/finish problems aren't typical with Toyotas, but it's the first year of a completely new design. Issues are to be expected out of anyone. ESPECIALLY in this shit show of times we're living in where you can't get labor or parts for anything.
    At least the motors aren't grenadining with less than 10k on them like broncos, electrical systems aren't failing like f150's, lifters aren't collapsing and being blamed on a bad batch of parts yet its been happening for years like on gm's, and literally everything isn't breaking like on rams. Let's also not forget every tundra built has complete functionality of its features unlike the others that are selling you a truck for full price that's missing chips and features with the promise of "we'll make it work later".

TF_CC and jimbopatriot like this.
  10. Jun 5, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    Just to clarify they have not sold everyone before they left Texas , the Chicago region has tundras, dealer called me a few times with platinums but I didn’t want black

11. Jun 5, 2022 at 9:52 AM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That doesn't mean they have it on hand unless they're telling you it's sitting at the dealer. I still get calls from dealers and every single one of the tundras they offer is allocated to the dealer but either hasn't been built yet, or just built not shipped meaning still in Texas. Very few dealers have even one tundra sitting on their lot and when they do, it's the dealers model, or a sale that just fell through.

chaztizer likes this.
  12. Jun 5, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    If they are sitting the folks just haven’t picked them up.

13. Jun 5, 2022 at 11:42 AM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB SR5 4x4
    The dealers around here are starting to post actual pictures of Tundras on their lot. I take that as a good sign. However, most seem to be double cabs or ones they have lifted and added junk to.

edit: swung by local dealer a few weeks ago. They had 5 outside. 3 up front I assume we’re sold and two out with their other new rigs. A SR5 sport and a SR5 off-road with $4,500 of dealer options added.

jimbopatriot likes this.
  14. Jun 5, 2022 at 2:53 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    5 dollar gas has slowed the demand already , we’ll see what happens

MTRock likes this.
  15. Jun 5, 2022 at 3:49 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    I haven’t seen demand slow yet. But I have seen my hybrid crv value go up . And plan to sell my lightning for north of 100k

16. Jun 5, 2022 at 3:56 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    That $4,500 will get you 4 green valve stem caps and a windshield washer tank full of orange RainX fluid.:annoyed:

Products Discussed in

To Top