1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra Transmission question?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by lisatoyota, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    lisatoyota

lisatoyota [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Vehicle:
    2010 toyota tundra
    Hey guys,
    I have a 2010 tundra. My truck just started doing this about a month ago and was wondering if anybody else had the same problem and could tell me what they found out. I have 147,000 miles on my truck. When I start my truck and put it in D (drive) it doesn't go anywhere, its like it is in neutral then about 5 seconds later it kicks in and starts going. I have noticed that it does it when I first start it in the morning like when I try and take off right away and not let the truck warm up. So for now, I let it idle every time I start it up for about 20 seconds before I take off and it doesn't do it. My mechanic said possibly a new transmission will fix the problem.... still need to take it to him so he can look at it.
    Any feedback would be appreciated?

Thank you

2. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    Find another mechanic, someone who really knows how to diagnose transmission problems. It could be something as simple as like low fluid level which unfortunately you can't check on your owm.

3. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    It is probably low on fluid I had this happen before in my 08. Got the transmission drained and filled hasn't done it since but I personally recommend letting your truck warm up and not just start it up amd take off when it's cold.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    Larly5000

Larly5000 Local Scumbag

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Crewmax
    Mechanic said a new trans will “possibly” fix your problem? Haha..Time to find a new wrench.

Like above...fluid is the easiest to correct and also a likely culprit. These transmissions are extremely sensitive to fluid levels, so id start there(if you’re not getting any codes low fluid is likely your problem).

lisatoyota[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 6, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Hmmm - mine does the same thing, except it is only like a 2 second delay first cold start of the day (I say cold, more like Cool here in Austin!)....fluid level check coming up...

6. Apr 6, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Agree with all previous posts re low fluid level.

The five second delay is probably due to the fluid level being very low in the suction strainer. Because of the low fluid level, fluid flows back into the pan when the engine is shut off allowing the pump suction passage to fill with air. When the engine is started again, the transmission pump is having to pump the air out of the suction passage until fluid is drawn into the pump. Only then does the pump generate the pressure needed to activate the clutches.

The transmission pump is a positive displacement pump, and is not designed to pump air; it is running with minimal lubrication during that five seconds. Tend to this simple issue ASAP.

7. Apr 6, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Not to worry you, but my 2010 transmission went out at around 59k miles. It started hesitating to shift in to drive and was holding gears and not shifting smooth. I finally got a CEL for solonoid d. Took it to Toyota and they replaced it under warranty with a refurbished one. Toyota does not work on them though so their answer is to replace the whole thing. Are you getting a CEL? Is your mechanic a transmission person? Take it to a shop that only does transmissions and see why they say.

8. Apr 7, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    el_taco

el_taco New Member

Member:
    Check fluids, my 1st gen taco did that...filled it and was good.

9. Apr 7, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    Pyrite Tundy

Pyrite Tundy New Member

Member:
    I second or seventh the check fluid level, with a reputable shop though. Any signs of transmission fluid leaks?

10. Aug 11, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    drkbrent

drkbrent New Member

Member:
    What was the verdict?

11. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:51 PM
    myktundra

myktundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra DC TRD SAP
    My brothers Scion XB did this recently. It was hesitating going into drive for a bit and doing some weird things now and then, then one day it wouldn't go into drive. It would reverse but not drive forward. My future brother in law is a former wrench and suggested checking the level and maybe using some transx in it. My brothers scion has a dipstick so checking the fluid level was a bit easier. It ended up being a bit low after warming up and he used some of the transx to get it up to proper level and it's been fine ever since. Honestly it probably would have been fine with just adding fluid but hey it works great now. Brother says it drives great and isn't doing any of the funny shifting stuff or not kicking down like it was doing every now and then. Not sure if I agree with using the transx as I generally don't go for additives or snake oils but this stuff seemed to work. At least for now.

12. Aug 17, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    @lisatoyota check Trans fluid just to be safe . but right after start up trying to get on the throttle triggers Traction control. the ECU is still thinking and doesnt want a unsure sudden hard press to cause a unwanted hard acceleration.

if your trans fluid is good , and you want to confirm its traction control (only recommended if your experienced with raw horse power and torque) after start up press and hold brake and push and hold the traction control button (car with squiggly lines) you will see a trac light pop up on the left side dash and auto LSD pop up on the right side , keep holding button till auto LSD turns off and VSC light comes on. when you press down on the gas pedal to go , you will have instant throttle response and probably roast the back tires really good as it will send all 381hp and 401lbs of torque instantly to the rear wheels, ABS wont be on either. the Truck will be in its rawest form no computer input just human.

SRT-1 likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    drkbrent

drkbrent New Member

Member:
    Any news?

14. Aug 20, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    Hopefully not this... upload_2020-8-20_19-31-16.jpg

15. Aug 21, 2020 at 2:26 AM
    school teacher

school teacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edward
    Louisville Ky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited
    Leer Cap RAV/4 V-6
    The transmission failed at 255,000 miles in my 2002 Limited 4.7 extended cab. The vehicle was bought new 19 years ago and driven daily. It died in my driveway with a "low sound klunk" and simply would not move. I had it towed to a transmission and general auto service shop (Cottman's in Louisville, KY) that has serviced my truck for many years. They examined the transmission and determined that it was beyond repair. They replaced it with a Toyota rebuilt unit for around $2,800. That was about 1 year ago and I have driven the truck about 13,000 miles since the replacement. The Toyota rebuilt unit works flawlessly and the truck is a joy to drive.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top