1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra Trailer Lights Not Working

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by avxflyer, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:48 PM
    avxflyer

avxflyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've got a 2011 Double Cab 4x4. Having a saltwater boat and trailer, lights have always been a bit of a problem. I converted to LED a while back and this season noticed that my running lights and left turn signal/brake lights were not working. Finally got around to troubleshooting and the trailer seemed fine. Tested output at the truck and those pins in the 5-pin adapter were not working. Saw another thread on here about the harness being bad, small wires and such, so went to work trying to find the answer. I pulled the harness and checked the output from the square plug where the harness plugs in. All working there. I started to disassemble the harness and found a design defect that causes the problem. The harness makes an almost 90 degree bend to the plug receptacle attached to the truck. The harness has a locking point on only one side of the plug. This allows the opposite side to move enough to allow the pins to lose contact with the receptacle. If it moves too much, the pins will come out and bend away from the harness and then you have no lights or left turn signal. You can see the bent pins in my case in the round plug. Hope this helps the next person troubleshooting the problem.

20190813_115919.jpg
    20190813_120918.jpg

2. Dec 24, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    Crews44

Crews44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Limited Crew Max
    Thanks for this tip. That was my problem of my trailer running lights. Took bumper off to POR15 and paint hitch and the large 90 deg plug was not connected correctly and bent the pin for running lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top